Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Cannon OG/RT

Marcus Cannon OG/RT

Every year I think I have a pretty good idea of how the Jets draft will unfold. And almost every year the Jets will do something different, unexpected.
    I can't imagine neglecting defense in the first round, but wouldn't Cannon be the perfect drive blocking RT that this offense would need after the departure of Woody... Is Cannon a good value at 32 ???

All Pro
    Well, I would much rather add youth to the defensive front seven as I feel it is a bigger need. We already got Ducasse waiting in the wings as a developmental guy and as of now, our OLine looks formidable even with Hunter in there. I wouldnt have a problem with the pick either though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Well, I would much rather add youth to the defensive front seven as I feel it is a bigger need. We already got Ducasse waiting in the wings as a developmental guy and as of now, our OLine looks formidable even with Hunter in there. I wouldnt have a problem with the pick either though.
    In this unlikely scenario, the premium defensive front seven guys will be taken. Rather than reach, the Jets take a different path, Gabe Camini RT, is probably also in this discussion. You bring up an interesting point, drafting an OL this high maybe an admission by the Jets that Ducasse may have been a mistake.
    Rex doesn't seem to mind populating his defense with lower round guys, and I think this is a deep draft in defensive front seven players. That being said, it would be a little tough to swallow taking an Offensive Lineman or a WR (ie. Baldwin) at number one. Trading down is always my solution, taking Cannon at 38-40 and picking up a late third is easier to swallow. The ultimate question is , I guess, is where is the value at the end of the first round, and does that value supercede the need of a defensive front seven player.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'll put a hole in my wall if we walk away from the 1st round without a front seven player.

With only one pick in the Top 90, it's an absolute must.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'll put a hole in my wall if we walk away from the 1st round without a front seven player.

Agree, small hole my place due to Dustin Keller a TIGHT END, when the Jets traded up and grabbed him, I wanted Devin Thomas (or the tall WR that went to Buffalo), what the hell do I know....The Jets always are doing something strange at draft time...
    Okay "an absolute must" but do you reach, and if so how far ?

Hunter seems to be doing well in that RT role...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Agree, small hole my place due to Dustin Keller a TIGHT END, when the Jets traded up and grabbed him, I wanted Devin Thomas (or the tall WR that went to Buffalo), what the hell do I know....The Jets always are doing something strange at draft time...
    Okay "an absolute must" but do you reach, and if so how far ?
    Wayne Hunter has filled in very admirably for Woody. Hell, you could make the argument he's been better. Not to mention we drafted Ducasse in the 2nd round last year as a potential starting OG/RT.

The bottom of round 1 is most likely going to be the hotspot for DL and OLB prospects. As far as 5-techs go, I don't see someone like Cam Jordan, JJ Watt, or Heyward still being there. But I think there's a very good chance we could land someone like Ballard, Austin, or Wilkerson. If we wanted to go with a passrushing OLB, I don't expect a guy like Aldon Smith or Von Miller to still be available, but I'd have no problems with someone like Justin Houston or Jeremy Beal.

We have to get some more talent and youth up front.

Marcus Cannon is a very large man. I could see him becoming a top of the line RT in this league, especially once he gets some NFL strength and agility training.

Do we really only have one pick in the top 100? I thought we only gave up a 2 for Cromartie?

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Marcus Cannon is a very large man. I could see him becoming a top of the line RT in this league, especially once he gets some NFL strength and agility training.
    I think he's overrated. we are talking about a prospect that hasn't worked out of a 3 point stance since high school... that will hurt his value.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Do we really only have one pick in the top 100? I thought we only gave up a 2 for Cromartie?
    Yes that 3rd rounder will be at 102 - 106 depending on the outcome. so 1 pick in the top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Yes that 3rd rounder will be at 102 - 106 depending on the outcome. so 1 pick in the top 100.
    Are compensation picks from losing FA's given out in the same years draft or do the teams get them the year after? Ex: if the Jets lose Harris, Holmes, etc...would they get a compensation pick for it in this years draft?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Cannon is not a right tackle prospect....

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Are compensation picks from losing FA's given out in the same years draft or do the teams get them the year after? Ex: if the Jets lose Harris, Holmes, etc...would they get a compensation pick for it in this years draft?
    it's a good question and if memory serves i think it's a year behind. But don't quote me on that... there's an internet guy AdamJ13 you could google search, he's the supplemental pick master.

considering there's no free agency this year I dont think it matters. There's only gonna be the draft, teams won't be able to fill their dire needs pre-draft nor will they actually lose free agents until a new CBA comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    99% sure, next year's draft (2012 Draft)

Thanks for the info Bit and CMart

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    99% sure, next year's draft (2012 Draft)

I'll second that.

If my knowledge/memory serves me correctly, the reason why comp picks are the following year because whatever round pick you get in return for a player is based on his performance with the new team.

And bit, I thought comp picks don't start until the END of round 3, meaning we'd get at worst the 96th pick

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I'll second that.

If my knowledge/memory serves me correctly, the reason why comp picks are the following year because whatever round pick you get in return for a player is based on his performance with the new team.

And bit, I thought comp picks don't start until the END of round 3, meaning we'd get at worst the 96th pick
    Comp picks also based on money given out.

The highest comp pick you can get is at the end of round 3.

All Pro

That will quickly change when we do not sign Harris and Holmes, both of which will garner two picks each....Brad Smith might even garner one.

I'm going on the books saying these three guys will not be signed....I'll eat crow later

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    That will quickly change when we do not sign Harris and Holmes, both of which will garner two picks each....Brad Smith might even garner one.

I'm going on the books saying these three guys will not be signed....I'll eat crow later
    I can dig it.

I take back the RT thing I said about Cannon...while it's possible I also tend to say dumb sh*t for no reason sometimes and that was one of those times.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post

I don't think there's any chance we let Holmes or Harris walk. I guarantee that Braylon, Holmes, and Harris are the front offices top priorities in the offseason. Cromartie is the most likely to walk IMO.

We might fetch a 5th for Brad Smith but I doubt it's any more than that.

I don't think there's any chance we let Holmes or Harris walk. I guarantee that Braylon, Holmes, and Harris are the front offices top priorities in the offseason. Cromartie is the most likely to walk IMO.

We might fetch a 5th for Brad Smith but I doubt it's any more than that.
    Gonna disagree. I think it's Holmes/Harris though I'd doubt it would be both. The only lock in my mind is Edwards. Even Cro could be on the chopping block depending on his asking price and the possible availability of Aso/Champ