Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marcus Cannon OG/RT

All Pro
    I would be so upset with this pick that I didn't even click this thread until now, despite the fact that I basically live in this forum. I don't even want to read about the top OL picks this year because I'd be furious if they took one in the 1st round.

Please no.

In the 3rd, sure take the best guy. But at the end of the 1st, they have to get someone who can dominate on the front 7. Edge rusher, defensive end, defensive tackle... there are a LOT of those guys in this draft. Get one.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    That will quickly change when we do not sign Harris and Holmes, both of which will garner two picks each....Brad Smith might even garner one.

I'm going on the books saying these three guys will not be signed....I'll eat crow later
    Right, but that'll be for the 2012 draft

The only way we get more than two top 100 picks for the 2011 draft is via trades

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    That will quickly change when we do not sign Harris and Holmes, both of which will garner two picks each....Brad Smith might even garner one.

I'm going on the books saying these three guys will not be signed....I'll eat crow later
    What do yo mean two picks each?

A rough formula for comp picks is this the guy signs for annually
    6mill+ = a 3rd
    5mil 4th
    4 5th
    3 6th

Where it gets very complicated is the $$$ of FA that you sign is then takes away from the value of the FA you lost. So it pretty much forces a team that loses FA only to sign players that were cut by their previous teams and are not free agents by means of an expiring contract. Worse case for the jets would be if the lose Cro, Harris, Edwards and Holmes and sign five 3mill a year players who had expired contracts, the jets get nothing. even though the value of the jets losses were much greater than the gains.

Same thing with the pats with Light and Mankins it pretty much keeps teams from being players if they have an eye to draft pick compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Wayne Hunter has filled in very admirably for Woody. Hell, you could make the argument he's been better. Not to mention we drafted Ducasse in the 2nd round last year as a potential starting OG/RT.

The bottom of round 1 is most likely going to be the hotspot for DL and OLB prospects. As far as 5-techs go, I don't see someone like Cam Jordan, JJ Watt, or Heyward still being there. But I think there's a very good chance we could land someone like Ballard, Austin, or Wilkerson. If we wanted to go with a passrushing OLB, I don't expect a guy like Aldon Smith or Von Miller to still be available, but I'd have no problems with someone like Justin Houston or Jeremy Beal.

We have to get some more talent and youth up front.
    Yeah it would be criminal to neglect the front 7 any more, we need some more youth and speed in the worst way. 1 more year with the same guys, as hardworking as they are, some are clearly long in the tooth and consistent plays week in week out may be a bridge too far with another year tacked on.

All League
    Ducasse is the Haitian Bender/Yovanovitz. He'll be out of the league within 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yeah it would be criminal to neglect the front 7 any more, we need some more youth and speed in the worst way. 1 more year with the same guys, as hardworking as they are, some are clearly long in the tooth and consistent plays week in week out may be a bridge too far with another year tacked on.
    I see this seems to be the consensus, but I respectfully disagree.

No doubt the front 7 could be better. But with the flawed front 7 we have, we still have been the top defense and a top 5 defense the past ftwo seasons. At the same time the offense has been, at best, middle of the pack.

I personally think Carimi would be a great pick. We should be letting Woody go, I don't think Hunter is a good starter, and Ducasse seems like he's not gonna be ready to play a role anytime soon. I think Carimi could be a dominant RT, was best OL in college football and has been good at Senior Bowl, Wisconsin has good recent track record at OL. I'm no scout and have been wrong, but would be a big fan of drafting Carimi, or anyone else the Jets like who would step in to start at RT.

I'd also prefer to draft a WR in the first, if we let Edwards or Holmes go, over drafting a front 7 player. Cotchery declined this year and we have no emerging young WRs now. If we lose Edwards or Holmes (and Smith) we need a replacement.

In thinking about the draft we need to consider the voids that will be created by offseason moves, not just the strengths and weaknesses of 2010's team. There's a lot of uncertainty, and you never know who will leave and what FAs we'll sign. Nor do we know who will be available for our pick. But looking at the options, I think RT (and WR) should definitely be considerations for 1st round picks.
    Last edited by jpoppy7; 01-27-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Hunter seems to be doing well in that RT role...
    4th and goal from the 1, and Big Wood is in the game.....we score that TD

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Hunter seems to be doing well in that RT role...
    agreed and he will only get better with more time starting on the OL. He is a very talented player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    That is a n unknown and pure speculation. Id say if Greene was in there we'd get the TD. More speculation! Hunter did well. Woody had trouble blocking for the pass this year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Big wood plays RT ... we ran left ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    That is a n unknown and pure speculation. Id say if Greene was in there we'd get the TD. More speculation! Hunter did well. Woody had trouble blocking for the pass this year.
    Agreed, this makes more sense to just inject Greens and let him do his thing - TD