Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Heyward fans may have just gotten the "break" they wanted...

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Given the his performance at the Senior Bowl practices, does anyone think Heyward is a better prospect than Jordan? Do you think he would have lit it up like Jordan? Honest question, not rhetorical.
    Jordan's sealed his deal as a top tier prospect in this draft.

    I think Heyward would have done close to the same, but Jordan passed him this week. Jordan's damn near perfect...I hope all this works out so that Heyward falls to the 30's...he's still got to not impress at the combine, which I hope he can pull off.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Jordan's sealed his deal as a top tier prospect in this draft.

    I think Heyward would have done close to the same, but Jordan passed him this week. Jordan's damn near perfect...I hope all this works out so that Heyward falls to the 30's...he's still got to not impress at the combine, which I hope he can pull off.
    How do you think this all works out long run? Who do you think will end up being better in a 3-4? I have been playing catch up with Heyward cause I have been admittedly down on him based off of erroneous claims of his demise lol I am hoping for a tag and trade where we can maybe find a way to pick up SD's 2nd and our own. They are gonna have issues with holes forthcoming at WR and LB which works out cause we have solid tag targets at both positions.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    31,408
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Given the his performance at the Senior Bowl practices, does anyone think Heyward is a better prospect than Jordan? Do you think he would have lit it up like Jordan? Honest question, not rhetorical.
    no- Jordan is more athletic and versatile...

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    no- Jordan is more athletic and versatile...
    It's a damn shame. He would be PERFECT as a replacement for Ellis down the road.

  5. #25
    a little more color on Cameron Heyward (i hadn't seen this posted), it was tommy john surgery... it's kinda serious rehab but he did play with the injury so... could still make it to the 30 pick would be my guess.

    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sp...e-back-sooner/

    Ohio State DE Cam Heyward on his Tommy John surgery: Im not a pitcher, so hopefully Ill be back sooner.

    After spending all day discussing potential defensive end prospects with scouts and talking to the players themselves at the Senior Bowl practices, so many people mentioned one name: Cameron Heyward.

    The Ohio State defensive end, who destroyed Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl with his best game ever, might be the best true five-technique (3-4 DE) in the draft. At 6-foot-5, 288 pounds with a strong body and a high motor, he is the prototype.

    Considering the Patriots may be looking in that direction in the first round, I wished I could talk to Heyward, who had bowed out of the game because of elbow surgery. And, then he walked by with his agent, Pat Dye Jr.

    So Heyward stopped and chatted, talking about the Patriots (he could be available at 17) and providing an update on his elbow surgery. Want some updates?

    Im rehabbing, Heyward told me. I had surgery on my elbow after the Bowl game, Tommy John surgery, basically. But Im not a pitcher, so I should be back a little sooner (laughs).


    What is his plan now?

    Just rehabbing, doing cardio, and running around, doing as much agility and getting ready for the Combine, Heyward said. Hopefully, Ill be able to do some stuff at the combine. Not benching, but hopefully other stuff. Im a five-technique, I play a little bit of three-technique and six-technique, as well. But my thoughts on the draft, Im happy to go wherever. The Patriots obviously want a five-technique, I feel like I could help them. Im a very versatile guy that can play any position and hopefully I can contribute to any team possible.

    Youll read more tomorrow, but Heyward did discuss his star turn in New Orleans.

    I think it was a heck of a game, he said. I was lucky enough to be in some spots at the right time, but I went in with the mindset, play my best game of the season. Obviously, I did.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    How do you think this all works out long run? Who do you think will end up being better in a 3-4? I have been playing catch up with Heyward cause I have been admittedly down on him based off of erroneous claims of his demise lol I am hoping for a tag and trade where we can maybe find a way to pick up SD's 2nd and our own. They are gonna have issues with holes forthcoming at WR and LB which works out cause we have solid tag targets at both positions.
    Different kinda 3-4 DL prospects...Jordan is less of an anchor but more of a pass rusher...Heyward is more of an anchor and less of a pass rusher...I think Jordan could play 4-3 DE, 3-4 DE, and play DT in 4-3 blitz packages....Heyward could play left DE in 4-3, DT in a 4-3, 3-4 DE, and in certain packages, NT. Heyward's game is built more around his power, while Jordan's is based more around his pure athleticism...all of this is praise for both guys.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Jordan is less of an anchor but more of a pass rusher...Heyward is more of an anchor and less of a pass rusher.
    Im not gonna disagree with this outright... cause it's an accurate statement... but I wonder how many people know that the gap between these players is almost negligable?

    according to the NCAA

    Jordan has 14 career sacks
    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...=107&player=97

    Heyward has 13 career sacks
    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...=518&player=97


    granted Jordan has 5 more hurries (11 to 6) but Heyward also has an 80 yard interception return... both son of successful NFL players. both 4 year players without a redshirt season, and both same number of passes defended. almost identical TFL numbers (29 to 32). heck they both wear jersey number 97!

    I can't bash Jordan or Heyward they are both awesome, I just think the gap between these two players is smaller than the draft world realizes.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us