Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: The First Two Years of the Obama Era: Opinions?

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062

    The First Two Years of the Obama Era: Opinions?

    How does everyone feel about the President thus far, after two full years of his first term, supported by a same-party majority in both houses?

    And I'd prefer we limit ourselves to our own opinions, rather than engage in "source copypasta challenge". We all can look up how the pros feel, I'm more interested in what each of us think, ourselves.

  2. #2
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Kind of flat, definitely could not live up to the hype that he and his campaign managers built for himself. I think the sheer difficulty of the job took him by surprise, actually. Not just the day to day grind, but the amount of criticism the President encounters on a daily basis seems to have taken its toll at some points.

    I've been saying it for a while now, and I still think it's true -- I think Obama would do much better if he dissolved his strong ties to Chicago and got some real, hardcore Washington veterans in the White House. I'm glad Rahm left and Gibbs and Axelrod are on their way out, but Obama's new Chief of Staff is Mayor Daley's brother. I don't understand that at all. To me he never seemed to get out of campaign mode.

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    I think he's actually done well, considering the hand he was dealt.

    This was not an average recession it was closer to a depression and Obama's policies stabilized the economy. People don't believe it but the stimulus and TARP (actually a W Bush policy) helped matters.

    What they projected to spend and what actually was spent are 2 different numbers. What they wanted unemployment to be and what it could have been also 2 different numbers. The GM Bailout was a huge success.

    He's been more Pro-Business than any President in the last 2 decades, the earnings that these corporations are putting up are huge. Obamacare has alot of doubters but to get anything done on the healthcare front requires massive effort... and it's closer to the Romney plan than anyone really cares to admit. He's also passed alot of other legislature, Dodd-Frank, Credit card bill of rights, START treaty... pretty common sense stuff.

    on the downside, I quibble with his foreign policy, doubling down on Afghanistan, keeping gitmo open etc. They bomb villages off the face of the map and drones are going nuts in Pakistan. I don't think these are good developments. But overall he's been a thoughtful President that most people seem to like. That's about all we can ask for... he might not make the decision I personally would have made but ya know he's given it some thought.

    Also he can give a hell of a speech, maybe top 5 in terms of rhetoric all-time, and that skill is pretty essential for a job that often times is a figurehead position. We talk about systematic change but the chance of it happening is miniscule. But making people feel good, or hopeful... that's an art and he excels at it.

  4. #4
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,501
    Promised to be a uniter, has proven to be the most divisive and partisan president in history. Calling republicans "our enemies," "hostage takers," etc.

    Destructive force with unbelievable aloofness and arrogance, with a stubborn disregard for the wishes of the majority of Americans.

    Basically proven to be an America-hating apologist, with virtually zero management skills.

    After the ass whupping of the recent elections, just now going to the Clinton playbook and triangulating, trying to appear more centrist. Clearly going to throw the hardcore lefties under the bus in an attempt at re-election -- but will reward them in spades if re-elected, because he won't be worried about being re-elected anymore.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    If anything, my own opinion can be summed up in one word: Predictable.

    As I fully expected, Obama has been very partisan, both in word and deed, despite his occasional strategic withdrawls back to talk of "civility" and "unity". In fairness, I'm not sure any kind of real "uniter" is possible from the two-party system any longer. Worse, I beleive he has been a negative influence on race relations in America, instead of promoting how he (an African American) had teh freedom to become the most powerful man on Earth, he's played into all the same steryotypes of the "oppressed black man" thats been a thorn in the side of a true racial reconcilliation for years now.

    Policy wise, he persued all the policies one would expect from a big Govt./Govt. Power liberal/socialist. Redistribution to those he deemed worthy, univeral healthcare (or as close as he could get passed), weapons reduction, one-world-friends diplomatic stances, lots of support for Unions, Govt. spending, Govt. power, and the size of Government.

    Suprising is his complete turnaround on the controversial Wars in iraq and Afganistan, and his treatment of prisoners and millitary policy. Instead of ending the Wars, closing the prisons, ending warrantless wiretapping, getting rid of teh Patriot Act, etc, he has effectively been "Bush the 2nd" on the War Front, equally inept (IMO), and equally Bushian in his War Policy and his War management/wartime domestic policies.

    Obviously, given my own political views, I find very very little of his tenure thus far, policy wise, to be supportive of. But I can see that he has (outside the war) been exactly what one should have expected when they voted for/against him.

    The Obama Era, Years 1 & 2, should not have come as a shock to anyone. Very predictable, very expected.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,325
    When he first got elected I said "Let's just hope being the first black president doesn't end up being his greatest claim to fame".

    So far it appears it is . . .

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    If anything, my own opinion can be summed up in one word: Predictable.

    As I fully expected, Obama has been very partisan, both in word and deed, despite his occasional strategic withdrawls back to talk of "civility" and "unity". In fairness, I'm not sure any kind of real "uniter" is possible from the two-party system any longer. Worse, I beleive he has been a negative influence on race relations in America, instead of promoting how he (an African American) had teh freedom to become the most powerful man on Earth, he's played into all the same steryotypes of the "oppressed black man" thats been a thorn in the side of a true racial reconcilliation for years now.

    Policy wise, he persued all the policies one would expect from a big Govt./Govt. Power liberal/socialist. Redistribution to those he deemed worthy, univeral healthcare (or as close as he could get passed), weapons reduction, one-world-friends diplomatic stances, lots of support for Unions, Govt. spending, Govt. power, and the size of Government.

    Suprising is his complete turnaround on the controversial Wars in iraq and Afganistan, and his treatment of prisoners and millitary policy. Instead of ending the Wars, closing the prisons, ending warrantless wiretapping, getting rid of teh Patriot Act, etc, he has effectively been "Bush the 2nd" on the War Front, equally inept (IMO), and equally Bushian in his War Policy and his War management/wartime domestic policies.

    Obviously, given my own political views, I find very very little of his tenure thus far, policy wise, to be supportive of. But I can see that he has (outside the war) been exactly what one should have expected when they voted for/against him.

    The Obama Era, Years 1 & 2, should not have come as a shock to anyone. Very predictable, very expected.
    Agreed. Yet despite it all, I thank the good heavens every day it wasn't Hillary in his place.

    I'd say the most positive thing to come out of the Obama tenure thus far is that it has finally awakened a portion of the country that had fallen asleep at the wheel for too long. Real fiscal conservatives and defenders of personal freedoms have risen again and taken notice to take the Republican party back from the religious right and the W. supporters that led us to the disaster we're in. I hope that real conservatism keeps that momentum going and then is able to maintain that for some time. I hope to see them realize their mistakes of the past and take a new approach of presenting their message in a positive way and educating Americans (particularly young voters) on the real motivations ("you mean its not because you're racist?" ) behind the cause. I think we're finally starting to see that. I'm mildly encouraged, as its the best realistic option short of the mass success of a third party that actually represents a majority of the population.

    Without some of the policies of Obama, there would have been no reaction. McCain's presence alone would have maintained a status quo of apathy from those voices.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 01-21-2011 at 12:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,751
    I think Obama is probably doing as much as can be expected, considering the situation he came into. I sure don't think we had a better option - the McCain we were being offered was not the McCain that could have helped. He seemed beholden to the Republican system, and if you're going to have someone beholden to one party or the other, we needed a change. It wasn't working.

    I feel the same about healthcare reform - it's not perfect, it may not even be good, but what we had wasn't working. I personally don't think anything approaching the "best" solution can come into play until we get back to a realistic dollars-to-dollars cost structure for healthcare, which would require breaking the legal system that is at the heart of that cost structure.

    Obama's 'promises' were unrealistic, for sure. Being a 'uniter' is not really an option when the only thing that seems to appease either side is total capitulation, and you come into a situation with a lot to "undo". Shakin, your comments above represent both sides perfectly - there are dozens of posters with similar feelings, for Obama now and for Bush before him. In reality, neither is/was so cut and dry. But minds are shut in this country right now. There is no majority in this country right now, still. Sure, it seemed like it after GWB's last years, when most everyone was fed up, but that was pure backlash for most. We have opposing political sides in this country right now, and neither camp has a clear majority.

    I think, if not in our lifetime, then in our children's, that our system will blow up. it has to - we're in a spiral right now, and we'll rotate from one side to the other for a short while, but that can't last. And while I'm not in line with the tea party at all, it may be the catalyst that stirs to action those with a positive vision that works, and that a majority can get behind, for the next hundred years of this country. I fear that this will not happen without another war of some type, because I think those in power will not cede it without bloodshed. Of course I am worried what this means for my children, and it's not what I wish for - I hope this can come about peacefully - but if it happens, I think we'll wind up a stronger country for it.
    Last edited by isired; 01-21-2011 at 12:47 PM.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Obama = unmitigated disaster

    Foreign policy:
    Pushing his own agenda a majority clearly doesn't want:
    His agenda before fixing the economy:

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I think, if not in our lifetime, then in our children's, that our system will blow up. it has to - we're in a spiral right now,
    I think Americans sometimes lose perspective. This is still the #1 country in the world by many standards. When we sit here and fight about spending or whatever it can seem bleak but go abroad and see what other countries are like... the grass is not greener... anywhere. this is true whether George Bush or Obama or Alfred E Newman is the President. It's still America.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,535
    It's been a frustrating, uphill battle the past two years.

    I think he sucks at crafting his message and getting America behind it.

    I am disappointed that we still have troops in Iraq and even more so that Gitmo is still open.

    The handling of the BP oil spill was not good. I never understood why Obama allowed BP to basically run the cleanup.

    He got owned on healthcare, lost the public option in the process and let Pelosi and Reid make that push instead of leading from the front.

    But I hope he reached a turning point during the Lame Duck Session.

    The START treaty, the Zadroga Bill, and repealing DADT were common sense, and due, IMO, and that has been the only impressive part of his presidency.

    He's still got a lot to prove and a lot to do.

  12. #12
    Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,751
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I think Americans sometimes lose perspective. This is still the #1 country in the world by many standards. When we sit here and fight about spending or whatever it can seem bleak but go abroad and see what other countries are like... the grass is not greener... anywhere. this is true whether George Bush or Obama or Alfred E Newman is the President. It's still America.
    I'm talking about improving on our system, by getting away from what it has become - not emulating another system. I think that any time you get a majority feeling like they're not represented by the ruling party, that's bound to happen. Whether or not it involves bloodshed will really come down to how well indoctrinated the armed forces are, I guess, so hopefully it won't.

  13. #13
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I think, if not in our lifetime, then in our children's, that our system will blow up. it has to - we're in a spiral right now, and we'll rotate from one side to the other for a short while, but that can't last.
    It's happening before our eyes. There are two radically and diametrically opposed visions of what America should be, and frankly there's no meaningful common ground. The discourse gets progressively worse and there's zero chance of reversing that -- it just ain't happening. Violence and upheaval on a grand scale are inevitable, sadly it's just a matter of time.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    I'm extremely disappointed he didn't bring real transparency to our government and instead pushed through big legislation and regulation through a tainted process of corruption. He's desire to get a health care bill passed and new regulation on business put his election agenda of transparency slip away. It was also the downfall of his mandate.

    I think he has done an excellent job in reengaging internationally. Our relationship with Russia and China are extremely important in dealing with NK, Iran and other threats to all of our prosperity.

    I think he made a huge blunder by expanding our war in AG.

    I think he is in very good position with a Republican House and a less partisan group around him to have a very good couple of years leading up to the next election. The compromise he got on taxes, extension of unemployment benefits and the treaty with Russia on arms were all very positive for the country.

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    It's happening before our eyes. There are two radically and diametrically opposed visions of what America should be, and frankly there's no meaningful common ground. The discourse gets progressively worse and there's zero chance of reversing that -- it just ain't happening. Violence and upheaval on a grand scale are inevitable, sadly it's just a matter of time.
    As I've said many times, I agree with this. A Civil War of some kind is inevitable IMO. Although I won't go as far as saying it definitely will be violenve-based. It certainly could simply be political/social.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,814
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    It's happening before our eyes. There are two radically and diametrically opposed visions of what America should be, and frankly there's no meaningful common ground. The discourse gets progressively worse and there's zero chance of reversing that -- it just ain't happening. Violence and upheaval on a grand scale are inevitable, sadly it's just a matter of time.
    Seriously? What DVD's have you been watching? Violence and upheaval on a grand scale? Irrational? Yes.

  17. #17
    Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    11,751
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Seriously? What DVD's have you been watching? Violence and upheaval on a grand scale? Irrational? Yes.
    I'm not sure it will be violent either, at least not on a grand scale, but you don't see similarities between the tea party, and its message, and historical uprisings? I don't think the tea party has or will have the mass or the leadership to pull it off, and they're still too tied to those that have too much to lose to want to risk it all, but sooner or later a group with the right leadership and motivation will come along, and sooner rather than later at this pace.

  18. #18
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I think that any time you get a majority feeling like they're not represented by the ruling party, that's bound to happen.
    What unheard Majority? despite the census and the recent midterms, The demographics are such that the GOP is shrinking every year. Walk around almost every major American city, they love the President. Flyover country hates him. so what?

    Tea Partiers love to talk about cutting spending but talking about it easy. Ask the American people what exactly to cut and the answers become cloudy.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    What unheard Majority? despite the census and the recent midterms, The demographics are such that the GOP is shrinking every year. Walk around almost every major American city, they love the President. Flyover country hates him. so what?

    Tea Partiers love to talk about cutting spending but talking about it easy. Ask the American people what exactly to cut and the answers become cloudy.
    link?

    You're delusional if you don't realize that this is a predominantly center-right nation. And you're wrong on your demographic information, because of the shift that we see every single generation - as voters get older (mature, wise and realistic, perhaps?), they tend to lean more conservatively when they vote. Baby boomers increasingly move in that direction, as does Gen X. Meanwhile, the right has finally realized that the young voter is no longer to be ignored. The days of Dems sweeping kids because their candidate plays a sax on MTV are over.

    Just because you want to believe the GOP is dying a slow death doesn't make it even remotely true.

  20. #20
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Seriously? What DVD's have you been watching? Violence and upheaval on a grand scale? Irrational? Yes.
    Just finished watching Spinal Tap for like the 20th time. It's great.

    Whacking elected officials for political differences is what I'd consider violence on a grand scale. I'm not talking about deranged kooks like Loughner, I'm talking about fed up, nothing-left-to-lose citizens like that guy who flew his plane into the IRS building. As I said, the discourse is getting to the point where it's almost meaningless -- both sides going way too far. A congressman equating the opposition with Joseph Goebbels on the floor of congress? We're closer to chaos than we are to utopia, I'll tell you that much.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us