Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal help please!!

Legal help please!!

Hello guys. Straight to the point. In march 2010 I was arrested for stealing a sandwich from vons and the undercovers got me. I was in jail then released and they did not file. They are filing now and there is a warrant for me. FYI yes I stole a sandwich because I was homeless and was being stupid. I was out of work for awhile, I never stole from anyone except from some stores. Anyway I am back on my feet and have a good job working 45 hours. I am going to show up on Monday, and I was thinking of using the corporate fiction defense. The one where I contest how my name is spelled with all caps and that is not how I spell my name. I know I am not supposed to enter a plea as well during this, could anyone advise me on how I can ensure this to work. I do not have a record, and I am trying to keep it clean. I already lost my car when I was locked up for this the first time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys.
    Last edited by jthmishere; 01-23-2011 at 01:10 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jthmishere;3930591]Hello guys. Straight to the point. In march 2010 I was arrested for stealing a sandwich from vons and the undercovers got me. I was in jail then released and they did not file. They are filing now and there is a warrant for me. FYI yes I stole a sandwich because I was homeless and was being stupid. I was out of work for awhile, I never stole from anyone except from some stores. Anyway I am back on my feet and have a good job working 45 hours. I am going to show up on Monday, and I was thinking of using the corporate fiction defense. The one where I contest how my name is spelled with all caps and that is not how I spell my name. I know I am not supposed to enter a plea as well during this, could anyone advise me on how I can ensure this to work. I do not have a record, and I am trying to keep it clean. I already lost my car when I was locked up for this the first time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you guys.[/QUOTE]

Hold on a seccond.

How much wuz this sandwich worth where you would get thrown in jail for it? 6 foot sub?
    And right now yo'ur are trying to get off on grammear on a warreant?
    Last edited by Fishooked; 01-23-2011 at 02:09 AM.

It was a 5 dollar sandwich, what happen was I resisted the undercover agents in the dark parking lot. I was not aware of who they were, I have that charge to, but my bail is so low. The bail bonds agent said this is nothing serious, but I still want to keep a clean record. I was sent a warrant notice in the mail regarding this case.

All Pro
    My advice would be to plead guilty and throw your self on the mercy of the court, serious.

Take your lumps and deal with it, trying to get off on a technicality is just going to make you look like a weasel and you will still end up being held accountable.

Good luck friend.

This is the weirdest story I've ever heard in my life

In that case, anyway to get the charge dismissed as it was under fifty bucks or to an infraction maybe?

Drop $300 and speak to an experienced criminal lawyer who works in the court where your case will be tried. Best plan is to sit in the court and find out which attorney has the best relationship with the Judge and the clerk and go to him or her. I agree with above that pushing a technical defense especially if you're going in [I]pro se[/I] (no lawyer) is probably a bad idea. Full representation will cost you more than $300 of course, but protecting a new job and new life is worth the investment. Pleading to a petit larceny to avoid a more serious resisting arrest charge might be the right thing, only a lawyer who knows the judges and prosecutors in the court that will hear the case will know that.

Good luck.

[QUOTE=gunnails;3930628]My advice would be to plead guilty and throw your self on the mercy of the court, serious.

Take your lumps and deal with it, trying to get off on a technicality is just going to make you look like a weasel and you will still end up being held accountable.

Good luck friend.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I imagine at the very most you could get this wiped off your record in a couple years, provided you don't get in any more trouble.

Jets Insider VIP
    Talk to a lawyer, not the Hamper.

Seriously, we can concoct a wild alcoholic drink for you, give you tons of tips on how to ruin a marriage and provide so much visual entertainment (Borgo, fish) that you'll quickly lose your new 45 hr/week job. But this isn't the best place to find legal advice. Although you could PM ragu.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEB0l6OqLR4[/url]

If it is your first offense, ask for Accelerated Rehabilitation. It requires no plea of guilty or not guilty, and after a period of one to two years the incident will be permanently expunged from your record assuming you have no further arrests.

The Court will only grant AR if it is your first offense, and they feel there is a very high chance that this was a one-time incident and that you will not commit a crime in the future.

[IMG]http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/sandwich_thief_rage31.gif?w=272&h=225[/IMG]

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3930628]My advice would be to plead guilty and throw your self on the mercy of the court, serious.

Good luck friend.[/QUOTE]

+1
    Not meaning to sound nasty but,
    You did the crime now do the time. The best thing you can do is totally own up to it and not try and get off on some stupid technicality.
    Once the judge hears your story and see's you are on the right track now they will not put you in jail. The prisons are already over crowded with people who have done a hellofa lot worse.
    Suck it up and face the facts, you f**ked up and are now going to deal with it head on.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Yeah, if it is REALLY important to have a crystal clean record, you should seek an attorney. Some personal experience though.....

1. from my experience, usually charges are reduced at court time. Since your offenses are seemingly not MAJOR, I doubt you would be looking at anything more than a brief stint of probation, and some small sort of "pay us now" fine levied by the courts.

Its great to hear you are back on your feet man!

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3930670]Talk to a lawyer, not the Hamper.

Seriously, we can concoct a wild alcoholic drink for you, give you tons of tips on how to ruin a marriage and provide so much visual entertainment (Borgo, fish) that you'll quickly lose your new 45 hr/week job. But this isn't the best place to find legal advice. Although you could PM ragu.[/QUOTE]

Love the reply LMAO!

Thanks for all the help, and I have already spent some time in jail for the arrest. So I figured that should factor into the punishment if they decide to move forward.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=jthmishere;3930925][B]Thanks for all the help, and I have already spent some time in jail for the arrest[/B]. So I figured that should factor into the punishment if they decide to move forward.[/QUOTE]

Dude.

I know what you did was a crime, and I can understand that point of view, but all this from the store for a sandwich? Seems like a bit of overkill. You must have done some serious resisting or something.

[QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3930962]Dude.

I know what you did was a crime, and I can understand that point of view, but all this from the store for a sandwich? Seems like a bit of overkill. You must have done some serious resisting or something.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was a club sandwich.

Where did you get arrested?

First a sandwich, then a car, then crack coccaine, you're done dude.