Post Thanks / Like

My first wild stab Jets mock...

1 - 29: Justin Houston - OLB - Georgia
    3 - 93: Jarvis Jenkins - DE - Clemson
    4 - 125: Lawrence Guy - DE - Arizona State
    5 - 157: Jeron Johnson - S - Boise State
    6 - 189: Jeremy Kerley - WR/KR - TCU
    7 - 197: Nathan Enderle - QB - Idaho

Looking at the pre Senior bowl/Combine rankings on my draft spreadsheet I don't think I've seen such wild swings after about the first 15 picks or so since I started tracking these about five years ago.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post

Looking at the pre Senior bowl/Combine rankings on my draft spreadsheet I don't think I've seen such wild swings after about the first 15 picks or so since I started tracking these about five years ago.
    You know Jarvis isn't related to Kris right... lol

Nice work, not sure how I feel about Houston. Motor has been said to run cold when the play move away from him and has some football smarts issues. Like Jenkins and Guy but I'd prefer Heyward/Taylor in rd1/3 and then go after a pass rusher later. Like the Johnson pick in the 5th and don't know about the other two guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    You know Jarvis isn't related to Kris right... lol

Nice work, not sure how I feel about Houston. Motor has been said to run cold when the play move away from him and has some football smarts issues. Like Jenkins and Guy but I'd prefer Heyward/Taylor in rd1/3 and then go after a pass rusher later. Like the Johnson pick in the 5th and don't know about the other two guys.
    A bit of a depressing thought, one reason I took Houston there is because as I was going down the board the top DE's were gone (as i mocked the 1st round). I don't think I had Taylor available in the 3rd either. Thing always get shifted around after the senior bowl and combine though so we may still get lucky.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be very happy with this.

Johnson should be a really solid safety in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I realize it takes 2 to make a trade,but there's no way this team should pick a player in the 1st round unless the player is a no brainer starter from day 1.If the Jets insist on picking a player in the 1st round,then i think they should do whatever it takes to trade up and get a difference maker on defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see Guy getting out if the first 75, he is like 10th best lineman and is a good fit for both the 3-4 and 4-3.

I think it is more likely Jenkins lasts to 125 more than Guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit of a depressing thought, one reason I took Houston there is because as I was going down the board the top DE's were gone (as i mocked the 1st round). I don't think I had Taylor available in the 3rd either. Thing always get shifted around after the senior bowl and combine though so we may still get lucky.
    Didn't news just come out that Heyward has an injury and will be out for 3 months? Hopefully he'll drop down to us then.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like where your at w this. It needs to be a defensive oriented draft by all means.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Switch Guy and Jenkins...I don't like Houston right now but that might change come combine.

The idea is good because I'd like more than one new DL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The first four picks would be like a dream come true.

Don't see Guy or Jenkins falling that far though. Maybe Jenkins has an outside shot to fall to the end of round 2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the concept of drafting two DE's, Jenkins and Guy are great values. In the AFCCG, Gholston, Dixon and Gilbert were inactive. I had hope for those guys, it looks like I was wrong again. Two DE's is prudent. I wonder if Jeron Johnson is a big enough hitter for Rex. Kerley is the type of receiver the Jets need. Enderle is a great use of a 7th round pick, very good developmental pick.
    Not a big Houston fan, but he will probably be the best 3-4 OLB on the board, I don't think Houston is a great value at 30. I fear the Jets are boxed in, hoping to trade down, Houston is excellent at mid second...
    As usual a great job

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    I love the concept of drafting two DE's, Jenkins and Guy are great values. In the AFCCG, Gholston, Dixon and Gilbert were inactive. I had hope for those guys, it looks like I was wrong again. Two DE's is prudent. I wonder if Jeron Johnson is a big enough hitter for Rex. Kerley is the type of receiver the Jets need. Enderle is a great use of a 7th round pick, very good developmental pick.
    Not a big Houston fan, but he will probably be the best 3-4 OLB on the board, I don't think Houston is a great value at 30. I fear the Jets are boxed in, hoping to trade down, Houston is excellent at mid second...
    As usual a great job
    I agree about Houston. After mocking the 1st round the top end DE's I had my eyes on were gone, the other players who appeared to fit into that area of the draft where positions we do not need. I was also looking for a nose tackle somewhere in the draft but there seems to be a real shortage of big bodies from the list of players I've got.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know much about picks round 3 through 7 but I would be thrilled with Justin Houston in the first. He would make a contribution from day one. Georgia runs a pro style 3-4 defense and he was the OLB for them. No learning curve of trying to convert from a DE to a LB and playing in space. By the way I dont see him lasting to our pick especially with the Pats picking rite before and there need for OLB. Cant see the Pats passing up on a OLB that can get after the QB and can start from day one with ther need of OLB. Plus Belly is not going to let a OLB that can start from day one fall into the Jets laps and fix one of there biggest needs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about Houston. After mocking the 1st round the top end DE's I had my eyes on were gone, the other players who appeared to fit into that area of the draft where positions we do not need. I was also looking for a nose tackle somewhere in the draft but there seems to be a real shortage of big bodies from the list of players I've got.
    Gets us back to the problem, if a Defensive Front 7 guy is not there at 30, what do you do ? The only WR I like at that spot is Baldwin. I am preparing for the Jets to do something strange. THe best alternative, if is available is to trade down, IMHO. Can you imagine the boos you would here if they picked Stocker. I just don't want the Jets to REACH, but then again they might have to...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life View Post
    I dont know much about picks round 3 through 7 but I would be thrilled with Justin Houston in the first. He would make a contribution from day one. Georgia runs a pro style 3-4 defense and he was the OLB for them. No learning curve of trying to convert from a DE to a LB and playing in space. By the way I dont see him lasting to our pick especially with the Pats picking rite before and there need for OLB. Cant see the Pats passing up on a OLB that can get after the QB and can start from day one with ther need of OLB. Plus Belly is not going to let a OLB that can start from day one fall into the Jets laps and fix one of there biggest needs.
    I had the Pats picking Von Miller at 17 and an o-lineman at 28. Do you feel that Houston is the top rated OLB ahead of Miller?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Gets us back to the problem, if a Defensive Front 7 guy is not there at 30, what do you do ? The only WR I like at that spot is Baldwin. I am preparing for the Jets to do something strange. THe best alternative, if is available is to trade down, IMHO. Can you imagine the boos you would here if they picked Stocker. I just don't want the Jets to REACH, but then again they might have to...
    What I do when making a mock is do a full 1st round mock, for subsequent rounds I examine about 3 picks before the Jets pick and about 5 or 6 after the Jets pick to give me a bit of a range to pick from. I had all of the following gone by the time the Jets pick at 29:

Heyward, Clayborn, Kerrigan, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Cameron Jordan.

Baldwin and Torrey Smith were there as WR's, Brandon Smith at CB, and some o-lineman. That left a choice between Justin Houston and Allen Bailey. Bailey sounds intriguing but also sounds like he can be a dog. What do you think of Bailey?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I do when making a mock is do a full 1st round mock, for subsequent rounds I examine about 3 picks before the Jets pick and about 5 or 6 after the Jets pick to give me a bit of a range to pick from. I had all of the following gone by the time the Jets pick at 29:

Heyward, Clayborn, Kerrigan, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, JJ Watt, Cameron Jordan.

Baldwin and Torrey Smith were there as WR's, Brandon Smith at CB, and some o-lineman. That left a choice between Justin Houston and Allen Bailey. Bailey sounds intriguing but also sounds like he can be a dog. What do you think of Bailey?
    Everyone asking Ryan Kerrigan about 4-3 DE vs 3-4 OLB. He'd rather play DE and held his own vs Carimi/Solder

http://twitter.com/#!/PFWDraftNews

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Houston pick. Forget coverage, I want an OLB who can get after the QB and 11.5 sacks in the SEC against elite competition plus second most TFL in the SEC are good enough for me. Pettine said recently for what they look in a player. He has to be smart (which might be a problem with Houston), tough, aggressive and he has to produce on the field. They want good "football players". He also adds the speed and athletisism that we sorely need in the front seven.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had the Pats picking Von Miller at 17 and an o-lineman at 28. Do you feel that Houston is the top rated OLB ahead of Miller?
    No I have Miller ahead of Houston but not by much. Houston was the SEC sack leader and knows how to play in space and is a natural at OLB no learning curve converting from a DE. The problem with the Pats is they have so many picks. They have 2 firsts and 2 seconds one of them being Carolinas which is pick 33. They have a desperate need at OLB and I can see them taking both Miller and Houston before the Jets even get on the board. They would be sticking it to the Jets knowing the need we have for OLB plus they can still fix there OL with there 2 second round picks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life View Post
    No I have Miller ahead of Houston but not by much. Houston was the SEC sack leader and knows how to play in space and is a natural at OLB no learning curve converting from a DE. The problem with the Pats is they have so many picks. They have 2 firsts and 2 seconds one of them being Carolinas which is pick 33. They have a desperate need at OLB and I can see them taking both Miller and Houston before the Jets even get on the board. They would be sticking it to the Jets knowing the need we have for OLB plus they can still fix there OL with there 2 second round picks.
    While they could easily do that, history tells me that they trade one of their first rounders, and trade back with their second.