Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Henery

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Alex Henery

we HAVE to draft this dude. our kicker and punter both suck, and henery does BOTH. and he does both tremendously.

and think about it. if we could get a player that does ALL aspects of the kicking game, that's an extra active roster spot. get that extra LB or DB or TE in the game.

and without even considering this extra roster spot, he's better than both weatherford and folk... by a lot.

what would be the earliest you'd want tanny to take him? i say 5th round. maybe 4th since we're at the end.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    we HAVE to draft this dude. our kicker and punter both suck, and henery does BOTH. and he does both tremendously.

and think about it. if we could get a player that does ALL aspects of the kicking game, that's an extra active roster spot. get that extra LB or DB or TE in the game.

and without even considering this extra roster spot, he's better than both weatherford and folk... by a lot.

what would be the earliest you'd want tanny to take him? i say 5th round. maybe 4th since we're at the end.
    However, if he should get hurt in game the Jets would be F'ed...at least with 2 kickers one could do both in an emergency a la Feely.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    However, if he should get hurt in game the Jets would be F'ed...at least with 2 kickers one could do both in an emergency a la Feely.
    not really, most punters in the nfl wouldn't be able to easily step in and kick a FG. we'd be f'd regardless. and how often do kickers get hurt mid game? there was one this year, jason hanson, and when he got hurt, the person that came in and kicked a FG attempt was suh, not the punter. i'm sure we could find some LB or DB or WR that can play on ST's and can sub in if needed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post

Since Nugent, I hesitate to use a draft pick on a kicker.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So...does he also hold his own kicks on FG's and PAT's?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The think is the gets would need to get him no later than the 125 pick as i dont think he will make it through the the 5th all the way to pick 160

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    he was awful at Senior Bowl practice today...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    they had him kick field goals today...he hit one from 52 with enough height and distance that it would've been good from 65yds...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    they had him kick field goals today...he hit one from 52 with enough height and distance that it would've been good from 65yds...
    Sounds like the pre Nugent hype. Remember when we drafted him and the other team was never going to return a kick again because they would all be touch backs?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know we will always be gun-shy about drafting a kicker because of nugent but i have to believe this guy is a lot better. nugent was more of a knee jerk reaction to what doug brien did to us 4 months earlier.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    he was awful at Senior Bowl practice today...
    As a kicker? Punter? Or both?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    As a kicker? Punter? Or both?
    punter bad..FG kicker- WOW!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's like the opposite of Chas Henry then.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    No team has had someone kick and punt in like 30 years, and with good reason. It's a very different motion, and even though Henery did it in college, there's a slim chance that an NFL team will have him do it. What I want is to draft a kicker or punter who is also able to reliably produce touchbacks on kickoffs

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    No team has had someone kick and punt in like 30 years, and with good reason. It's a very different motion, and even though Henery did it in college, there's a slim chance that an NFL team will have him do it. What I want is to draft a kicker or punter who is also able to reliably produce touchbacks on kickoffs

Perty much...I could see Henery getting 2 of the three kicking jobs...field goals and kick offs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    It's very doable, there have been quite a few punter/pkers in the CFL for years. Not as much of a need in the NFL due to the bigger roster sizes though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    punter bad..FG kicker- WOW!
    that surprises me. he was great all year as a punter. i believe he had one shank somewhere in the year, but the rest was pretty "wow" worthy too. he's great at coffin corner punting and he places the ball inside the 10 more so than not (at least it seemed that way. can't find the stats on it).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kicking a pro bowl is much different than kicking the college ball. Some kickers translate very well to it, while others just can't manage it.

That's what it comes down to with these rookie kickers and punters.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Kicking a pro bowl is much different than kicking the college ball. Some kickers translate very well to it, while others just can't manage it.

That's what it comes down to with these rookie kickers and punters.
    everything at the Senior Bowl is geared to the NFL....he hit a 54yder on Thursday with another 15 yards to spare...slight wind at his back...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    everything at the Senior Bowl is geared to the NFL....he hit a 54yder on Thursday with another 15 yards to spare...slight wind at his back...
    draft him at least for kicking alone. let him try punting in training camp and if he outplays weatherford, so be it, take it from there, decide how to handle it. but we have to at least draft him for kicking, right? where should he be drafted that wouldn't be too soon, but soon enough to guarantee you get him?