Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: The Official Obama State of the Union Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062

    The Official Obama State of the Union Discussion Thread

    Per reports, he will hit on his "Five Pillars" of Economic Importance

    -Education
    -Infrastructure
    -Innovation
    -The Federal Debt
    -Government Reform

    As a side note, the Right-wing-O-sphere is already agasp at it being decribed as "five pillars", i.e. they are claiming it's the same in some way as the "Five Pillars of Islam", due to the "five pillars" bit.

    If nothing else, this shows how brilliant Obama is, because instead of attacking the content (which sounds like, spending, spending, spending, cuting spending (lol) and "reform", i.e. how big a Govt. can we get, they will instead be railing against Obama's supposed Islamism.

    So there you go, a thread for the SOTU.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    13,518
    The NY Slimes is biased.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    President Obama will propose a budget freeze and earmark ban during tonight's State of the Union, ABC's Jake Tapper reports.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    President Obama will propose a budget freeze and earmark ban during tonight's State of the Union, ABC's Jake Tapper reports.
    what about "investments"?

  5. #5
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Man, that was boring.

    Flat, yawn, ho-hum. This new era of nonpartisanship blows.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,366
    Keep coming to the right, Obaminator.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Farmingdale, NY
    Posts
    2,535
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Man, that was boring.

    Flat, yawn, ho-hum. This new era of nonpartisanship blows.
    Hahaha

  8. #8
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Hahaha
    The one thing I thought of when watching this speech was,

    "Chlorophyll? More like Borophyll! Ha ha ha... hahaha... ha."

  9. #9
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    359
    That fifth pillar (Fed deficit) is more like a twig... barely a mention.

    We're back to BAU.

    Repubs and teabaggers campaign to reduce the deficit and then agree to cut taxes and increase spending in the lame duck.

    Obama makes the Fed deficit a pillar and then barely mentions it in the State of the Union.

    These guys don't have the balls to reduce spending.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,171
    good message, positive tone. there was really no red meat in the speech, which unfortutently made it pretty boring at times. the presidents poll numbers have been doing real, i don't see how this hurts, or helps those numbers.

  11. #11
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    good message, positive tone. there was really no red meat in the speech, which unfortutently made it pretty boring at times. the presidents poll numbers have been doing real, i don't see how this hurts, or helps those numbers.
    But this is our Sputnik moment!!!

    Uh... what?


    :yawn:

  12. #12
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,165
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    But this is our Sputnik moment!!!

    Uh... what?


    :yawn:
    +1

    America's best minds should be doing more useful stuff. Like developing iPhone apps.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    I hope cutting the oil industry subsidies doesn't result in higher gas prices.

    Its bad enough speculators are screwing it up....

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,540
    The content of Paul Ryan's Republican response was great, but I felt I could have done a better job delivering it. Some say he's an up and comer, but the guy needs some serious oration lessons if he ever wants to be more than a member.

  15. #15
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    +1

    America's best minds should be doing more useful stuff. Like developing iPhone apps.
    It's tough to have a Sputnik moment when you gut NASA's budget.

  16. #16
    JetsFan2012
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    The content of Paul Ryan's Republican response was great, but I felt I could have done a better job delivering it. Some say he's an up and comer, but the guy needs some serious oration lessons if he ever wants to be more than a member.
    +1

    That was boring too. After Obama's speech I honestly wasn't in the mood for an econ 101 lesson.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    23,165
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    It's tough to have a Sputnik moment when you gut NASA's budget.
    I don't think it necessarily has to be an extraterrestrial "moment".

    Here's my dumba** idea. You know how we always talk about clean energy? Nuclear is fairly clean...you know, aside from that nasty sh*t that is left over that will kill people for a bazzilion years. Why don't we invest in and figure out how to get rid of that crap. My idea? A 5 mile long magnetic rail gun in the Utah* desert that would shoot the radioactive material at the sun.













    *Why Utah? Just in case anything goes wrong, only the Mormons will get sprinkled by radioactive dust. I know that's not very nice...but someone has to be in the line of fire.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,924
    Spending, Spending and more Spending. Cut the entitlements cut the military
    take an axe to spending. Same old BS he came uo with last time!

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,984
    I thought the SOTU was fairly good last night.

    I agree with many of the areas we need to focus spending / investment: infrastructure, technology, and education. Our infrastructure is crumbling, we are falling behind much of the world at a staggering pace in information technology and clean energy technology, and our education system is going down the drain. All of these areas desperately need reform and funding to get this country going in the right direction again.

    I agree with the proposed five year spending freeze. People who complain about "spending, spending, spending" seem to ignore this part of the plan. The country's biggest budgetary issue right now is as much mis-allocation of funds as it is overspending.

    I agree with a proposed corporate tax reduction. I would also agree with a general tax bracket reduction as well, but all of this would have to be accompanied with tax reform which includes the elimination of tax deductions.

    I agree with being open to changing health care reform because it is a disaster as it stands now. Too many additional benefits without the necessary increased pool of consumers, tort reform, and / or publicly available health care option.

    The speech lacked some punch at points, but overall, I think it was a good message and contained some good specific solutions. The biggest question remaining (and it's a huge one): where will the spending cuts come from to fund all of these theoretically good spending increases?

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I don't think it necessarily has to be an extraterrestrial "moment".

    Here's my dumba** idea. You know how we always talk about clean energy? Nuclear is fairly clean...you know, aside from that nasty sh*t that is left over that will kill people for a bazzilion years. Why don't we invest in and figure out how to get rid of that crap. My idea? A 5 mile long magnetic rail gun in the Utah* desert that would shoot the radioactive material at the sun.













    *Why Utah? Just in case anything goes wrong, only the Mormons will get sprinkled by radioactive dust. I know that's not very nice...but someone has to be in the line of fire.

    you must have missed the 80s. Nuclear reactors? Its why I'm STILL paying for closing Shoreham.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us