Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets: Not feasible to re-sign both Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Jets: Not feasible to re-sign both Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...s/Default.aspx

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Jets head coach Rex Ryan admitted during a press conference Monday that he "doesn't know if it's feasible" for the Jets to re-sign both of their free agent wide receivers.

Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes both came to the Jet via trade in 2009 and both of their contracts are up. Ryan said he would love to have both guys back Holmes is considered to more valuable and the most complete player of the two so negotiations will likely focus on his contract. Of course, nothing can be done with either player until a new collective bargaining agreement is struck. Expect Braylon Edwards to be playing elsewhere in 2011-if there is a season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me when negotiations will actually start?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take that as more him saying "I don't know" then it's not feasible. And it's not Rex's job to know, Tannenbaum is the numbers guy. And who knows if Tannenbaum even knows at this point until he starts finding out what kind of money these guys are asking for and what the new CBA looks like.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 01-25-2011 at 10:18 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our abillity to resign anyone is dependant on the future CBA terms.

Till that is settled, it's almost not worth worrying about who we can, will or will not resign.

I'd bet very little discussion will happen till the CBA terms are final and known to all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Braylon increased his value tremendously while he was here. He'll be fine and I just hope he ends up in the NFC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it's the same press conference that the general public is allowed to hear, it was more general answer than that. He talked about all the players and wanting the whole team back but never singled out any one individually and not any one vs. the other.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...s/Default.aspx

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Jets head coach Rex Ryan admitted during a press conference Monday that he "doesn't know if it's feasible" for the Jets to re-sign both of their free agent wide receivers.

Braylon Edwards and Santonio Holmes both came to the Jet via trade in 2009 and both of their contracts are up. Ryan said he would love to have both guys back Holmes is considered to more valuable and the most complete player of the two so negotiations will likely focus on his contract. Of course, nothing can be done with either player until a new collective bargaining agreement is struck. Expect Braylon Edwards to be playing elsewhere in 2011-if there is a season.
    Well there is a big difference between Ryan "not knowing" and Mike T saying its 'Not feasible." it's not really Ryan's responsibility to know.

And where does the sentiment in the second part come from, Mehta himself? When has anyone in the Jets even hinted at any of that? How is Holmes more valuable and/or complete than Edwards? He's also one strike away from a full season ban.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last year Ryan opened his mouth and helped the "REVIS" negotiations.

He phrased it perfectly this time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Well there is a big difference between Ryan "not knowing" and Mike T saying its 'Not feasible." it's not really Ryan's responsibility to know.

And where does the sentiment in the second part come from, Mehta himself? When has anyone in the Jets even hinted at any of that? How is Holmes more valuable and/or complete than Edwards? He's also one strike away from a full season ban.
    I believe that is Mehta's thought and, if so, is kind of ****ty reporting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope they both get re-signed. Holmes more valuable than Edwards is hogwash!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope they are both back. Sanchez continues to get better... to see him in a 3rd year with both of these guys would be phenomenal. They are total game changers and honestly handed us a bunch of wins themselves.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    If it means re-signing everyone else and adding a solid, but unspectacular 3rd/4th WR, I'm fine with only signing one of Holmes and Edwards.

That would mean that the guy who stays becomes the legit #1 and he will get the ball a helluva lot more than he otherwise would. It would also mean that Cotch would become more involved in the Offense - I think him being marginalized this year, somewhat, is one of the reasons for his mini-slide and dropped balls. Long term, those guys (Braylon/Holmes) will not be satisfied with having to compete with one another for the football. There simply isn't enough to go around for them. If we have one of those guys plus Cotch and Keller, we simply need another solid WR to make this offense dangerous. The 4th and 5th WRs should be young guys working their way up to compete, ala Sanders and Brown on the Stillers.

I'd also be perfectly fine with losing B. Smith if it comes to that. He does not warrant big $$$.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez should pull a Brady and drop a couple million to try and keep both guys. Having both will boost his status/stats/fame and he's making a ton in endorsements. Not many NFL players would, but I think there's an outside chance he might if it would make a difference. He's proven to be a pretty great kid so far.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "It becomes black and white," Mark Sanchez said of the business side of the sport. "That's just the way it goes. Guys change teams. ... I hope we can get everybody back, but I know that is not realistic. We'll work with what we've got."

Edwards and Holmes played a significant role in Sanchez's development, but the young quarterback admitted that he didn't know how feasible it'd be to keep both playmaking wideouts. "I know it's not totally realistic to be able to keep both, but we'll figure it out," Sanchez said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...cromartie.html

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If it means re-signing everyone else and adding a solid, but unspectacular 3rd/4th WR, I'm fine with only signing one of Holmes and Edwards.

That would mean that the guy who stays becomes the legit #1 and he will get the ball a helluva lot more than he otherwise would. It would also mean that Cotch would become more involved in the Offense - I think him being marginalized this year, somewhat, is one of the reasons for his mini-slide and dropped balls. Long term, those guys (Braylon/Holmes) will not be satisfied with having to compete with one another for the football. There simply isn't enough to go around for them. If we have one of those guys plus Cotch and Keller, we simply need another solid WR to make this offense dangerous. The 4th and 5th WRs should be young guys working their way up to compete, ala Sanders and Brown on the Stillers.

I'd also be perfectly fine with losing B. Smith if it comes to that. He does not warrant big $$$.

How would you feel if they signed Holmes and 'replaced' Edwards with Plaxico Burress with Harris/Cro being resigned? I'm wondering if the Jets are considering this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like the national media assumes the jets are going to prefer keeping Holmes over Edwards.

This is a mistake. Are they both good players? Yes.

But Holmes is the player one pot bust away from missing an entire season. Holmes is the one that had more drops this season. Holmes is the one that's been more critical of the coaching staff.

Braylon has made tremendous strides as a Jet. He has limited his drops. He provides a huge target for Mark's sometimes errant throws. He has said all the right things in terms of wanting to stay and supporting the team. He's more of a red zone threat...that can also spread the field between the 20s. And it sounds like he'd be willing to take less to stay here.

While I would love to have both players...it's a no brainer to me personally. Edwards should be the priority over Holmes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As others have already said, this is irresponsible reporting because he is a) changing the meaning of coach's words, and b) its all moot pending CBA info. If this was Cimini there would be much more hue and cry.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnyTestaverde'sNiece View Post
    If it's the same press conference that the general public is allowed to hear, it was more general answer than that. He talked about all the players and wanting the whole team back but never singled out any one individually and not any one vs. the other.
    +111.. he wasnt addressing just those 2 players..joe benigno on his show this weekend said he ran into mr.t in pitt and asked if he can re-sign all of the big name free agents and he said YES!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    I hope they both get re-signed.
    They both brought a lot of passion to the team. This was a really wishy-washy organization with no leadership for years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    It seems like the national media assumes the jets are going to prefer keeping Holmes over Edwards.

This is a mistake. Are they both good players? Yes.

But Holmes is the player one pot bust away from missing an entire season. Holmes is the one that had more drops this season. Holmes is the one that's been more critical of the coaching staff.

Braylon has made tremendous strides as a Jet. He has limited his drops. He provides a huge target for Mark's sometimes errant throws. He has said all the right things in terms of wanting to stay and supporting the team. He's more of a red zone threat...that can also spread the field between the 20s. And it sounds like he'd be willing to take less to stay here.

While I would love to have both players...it's a no brainer to me personally. Edwards should be the priority over Holmes.

HUGE point to consider...does holmes get franchised or offered only a 1 year deal because of that?