Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Music, Picking Up One of These This Weekend

Speaking of Music, Picking Up One of These This Weekend

[IMG]http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8890/8890426_sa.jpg[/IMG]

My 1x12 Marshall Tube Amp has died (yet again), and frankly I cannot be assed to hump it to the one repair guy in NoVA to get it fixed (yet again).

So, I got some spare scratch, and will be snagging one of these fancy modeling amps, because I want an "all in one" package with some fun sounds for my usual "bedroom rock star" playing.

Anyone else ever play though one, any opinions, thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939153][IMG]http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8890/8890426_sa.jpg[/IMG]

My 1x12 Marshall Tube Amp has died (yet again), and frankly I cannot be assed to hump it to the one repair guy in NoVA to get it fixed (yet again).

So, I got some spare scratch, and will be snagging one of these fancy modeling amps, because I want an "all in one" package with some fun sounds for my usual "bedroom rock star" playing.

Anyone else ever play though one, any opinions, thoughts are welcome. Thanks![/QUOTE]

what kind of music are you playing?

are you playing with a band or just noodling around the house?

edit, sorry didn't read the whole thing

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939171]what kind of music are you playing?[/QUOTE]

Probably Cannibal Corpse and Hatebreed would be my guess....

Have you ever played through a Line6?

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3939189]Have you ever played through a Line6?[/QUOTE]

I think this is the one that I have (though embarrassingly I haven't touched it in months and months. :( )

[IMG]http://www.orangemusic.co.za/images/Line%206%20POD%20XT.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3939198]I think this is the one that I have (though embarrassingly I haven't touched it in months and months. :( )

[/QUOTE]

I was talking about a Line6 amplifier, but that Pod is awesome. I play through a Spider III 30 watt model (1x12 Celestion). It's a solid state with great on board effects. Awesome for practicing at night as you can get great growl without the volume necessary with tube amps.

My only experience with Peavey was when I played through one of their bass amps for a few gigs back in the 70s.

[URL=http://img10.imageshack.us/i/990102605.jpg/][IMG]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8550/990102605.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3939171]what kind of music are you playing?[/quote]

The "bedroom wanker who has no natural talent and doesn't practice enough" kind.

[QUOTE]are you playing with a band or just noodling around the house?[/QUOTE]

Warfish is a solo act.

[quote]edit, sorry didn't read the whole thing[/QUOTE]

Thats ok, I replied and answered before I read this....so now I have to post my answer anyway.:D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3939198]I think this is the one that I have (though embarrassingly I haven't touched it in months and months. :( )

[IMG]http://www.orangemusic.co.za/images/Line%206%20POD%20XT.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

That's the one I've got, I should have opted for the floor model with the pedals but it's cool enough. Alas, it's so configurable that it overwhelms me cuz I don't have/make the time to sit down and learn the damned thing. I usually just hit one of the presets and rock out to some mondo rock riffs.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;3939214]I was talking about a Line6 amplifier, but that Pod is awesome. I play through a Spider III 30 watt model (1x12 Celestion). It's a solid state with great on board effects. Awesome for practicing at night as you can get great growl without the volume necessary with tube amps.

My only experience with Peavey was when I played through one of their bass amps for a few gigs back in the 70s.

[URL=http://img10.imageshack.us/i/990102605.jpg/][IMG]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8550/990102605.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

Heard/read nothing but great things about these. i should really ditch my Fender Ultra-Chorus and Line6 pod and just get one of these.
    Last edited by RageATL; 01-25-2011 at 04:25 PM.

[QUOTE=RageATL;3939220]

Heard/read nothing but great things about these. i should really ditch my Fender Ultra-Chorus and Line6 pod and just get one of these.[/QUOTE]

For a small amp, it absolutely screams. Super distortion, noise gate, and four programmable amp models. I love this thing. And it was cheap.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939215]The "bedroom wanker who has no natural talent and doesn't practice enough" kind.

[/QUOTE]

natural talent...yes

i can look at someone after a week of playing and know if he has hit or not.

i have the fairly uncoordinated fingers and wrist that is tense all the time.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3939240]For a small amp, it absolutely screams. Super distortion, noise gate, and four programmable amp models. I love this thing. And it was cheap.[/QUOTE]

Very nice. Looks like the new IV 30 has 12 amp models, that might be my ticket.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3939214]I was talking about a Line6 amplifier, but that Pod is awesome. I play through a Spider III 30 watt model (1x12 Celestion). It's a solid state with great on board effects. Awesome for practicing at night as you can get great growl without the volume necessary with tube amps.

My only experience with Peavey was when [B]I played through one of their bass amps for a few gigs back in the 70s.[/B]

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.bolgernow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/greg-brady-as-johnny-bravo.JPG[/IMG]

[QUOTE=RageATL;3939249]Very nice. [B]Looks like the new IV 30 has 12 amp models,[/B] that might be my ticket.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mine is four years old. That sounds amazing.

Bewildered Beast
    Can I offer a counter to expensive amps (that rarely leave the house? :) )

- I use two 5 watt amps to run my GNX4 looper/modeler(digitech) through. I have a solid state Gorilla and a Fender RAD I can set up in a wide stereo spread. If you like playing like David Gilmore, two small crappy amps with, say, that Line 6 Pod (does it loop?) will give you enormous sound at low volume. Just point the speaker cabs at you, angled up like vocal monitors. The delays can be panned, ping ponged, or even just a wee bit of spatial delay will sound good.

My GNX4 is a sound card, so when I am sitting at my desk, I actually run it through my laptop into a cheezy Radio Shack subwoof/stereo speakers. I replaced the cheezy speakers with some Yamaha bookshelf monitors from an old "Entertainment system". Sitting at my desk I can play loops and jam over them, record takes, store them, organize them. the reduced-size stereo field fits me sitting at my desk. Sounds like a recording when I get the various levels right.

Now if you are taking your amp and guitar out and jamming, then the all-in-one is perfect. :)

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939247]
    i have the fairly uncoordinated fingers and[B] wrist that is tense all the time.[/B][/QUOTE]

Dont worry; your d!ck isn't cheating on you. ;):D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3939263]Can I offer a counter to expensive amps (that rarely leave the house? :) )

- I use two 5 watt amps to run my GNX4 looper/modeler(digitech) through. I have a solid state Gorilla and a Fender RAD I can set up in a wide stereo spread. If you like playing like David Gilmore, two small crappy amps with, say, that Line 6 Pod (does it loop?) will give you enormous sound at low volume. Just point the speaker cabs at you, angled up like vocal monitors. The delays can be panned, ping ponged, or even just a wee bit of spatial delay will sound good.

My GNX4 is a sound card, so when I am sitting at my desk, I actually run it through my laptop into a cheezy Radio Shack subwoof/stereo speakers. I replaced the cheezy speakers with some Yamaha bookshelf monitors from an old "Entertainment system". Sitting at my desk I can play loops and jam over them, record takes, store them, organize them. the reduced-size stereo field fits me sitting at my desk. Sounds like a recording when I get the various levels right.

Now if you are taking your amp and guitar out and jamming, then the all-in-one is perfect. :)[/QUOTE]

If I was made of money, I'd get this for bedroom playing

ignore hipster

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpdNW8U0Flg[/url]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3939263]Can I offer a counter to expensive amps (that rarely leave the house? :) )

Now if you are taking your amp and guitar out and jamming, then the all-in-one is perfect. :)[/QUOTE]

:eek: That post confizzled me.

Veteran
    For god's sake, buy a tube amp. These modellers are cool for about two weeks. They don't have the personality that tube amps have.

buy a 5-15 watt tube and turn it to about 6 or 7. You'll feel better, trust me. You'll hear an amplifier rather than some computer.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3939277]:eek: That post confizzled me.[/QUOTE]

I bought this used for less than $200, and I have two amps that cost me $25 each. Tons of used gear on eBay or craiglist.

I put the amps far apart from each other. There is a LEFT and a RIGHT channel from this, my looper: (skip to 2:14 to avoid the shredder)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5qezsD4g0[/url]
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 01-25-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3939280]For god's sake, buy a tube amp. These modellers are cool for about two weeks. They don't have the personality that tube amps have.

buy a 5-15 watt tube and turn it to about 6 or 7. You'll feel better, trust me. You'll hear an amplifier rather than some computer.[/QUOTE]

turn a 15 watter to six or seven in a small room and you'll have to turn your guitar to one .