Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Music, Picking Up One of These This Weekend

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939286]turn a 15 watter to six or seven in a small room and you'll have to turn your guitar to one in a small room.[/QUOTE]

If you turn your guitar's volume down below 10, you won't drive the front end of the amp as much.

A fifteen watt tube amp (take a Princeton for example) is defintiely loud, but that's also why I suggested a lower wattage one as well... I don't know Warfish's room dimensions.

[QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3939280]For god's sake, buy a tube amp. These modellers are cool for about two weeks. They don't have the personality that tube amps have.

buy a 5-15 watt tube and turn it to about 6 or 7. You'll feel better, trust me. You'll hear an amplifier rather than some computer.[/QUOTE]

Please check the OP. I have an expensive Tube Amp, a Marshall.

It died. Again.

While these Modeling amps may not be up to snuff if I was to say, headline the Verizon Center, I have a feeling it will serve my needs quite well for what it is. Because lets be honest, a guy with my utter lack of either talent or skills is not going to be uber-critical of the "Plexi" setting not sounding like a well-loved well-worn-in real Plexi.

Considering I live my life on a computer (work, home, iPod, hobbies, here) I should be used to it by now.:D Unlike the average tube amp, a modeling amp offers a wide variety of tones to suit the taste of the moment, and a suite of semi-decent onboard effects, keeping me interested and playing, and not having to invest in a pedal-board full of stuff I won't be able to use anyway because for some godawful reason my cats like chewing through my pedal's powercables.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-25-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3939294]If you turn your guitar's volume down below 10, you won't drive the front end of the amp as much.

A fifteen watt tube amp (take a Princeton for example) is defintiely loud, but that's also why I suggested a lower wattage one as well... I don't know Warfish's room dimensions.[/QUOTE]

exactly my point

most people are playing amps that are too big for their surroundings.

I'm one of them, because I've never really found an amp with the cleans and headrooms I want under 15 watts, except for the above two watter, and that OD is nothing special.

I should have had master volume or an attenuator put in.

I play on the porch a lot.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939303]Please check the OP. I have an expensive Tube Amp, a Marshall.

It died. Again.

While these Modeling amps may not be up to snuff if I was to say, headline the Verizon Center, I have a feeling it will serve my needs quite well for what it is. [/QUOTE]

I'm with the other guy, I think you are going to want your tube sound back.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3939303]Please check the OP. I have an expensive Tube Amp, a Marshall.

It died. Again.

While these Modeling amps may not be up to snuff if I was to say, headline the Verizon Center, I have a feeling it will serve my needs quite well for what it is. Because lets be honest, a guy with my utter lack of either talent or skills is not going to be uber-critical of the "Plexi" setting not sounding like a well-loved well-worn-in real Plexi.

Considering I live my life on a computer (work, home, iPod, hobbies, here) I should be used to it by now.:D Unlike the average tube amp, a modeling amp offers a wide variety of tones to suit the taste of the moment, and a suite of semi-decent onboard effects, keeping me interested and playing, and not having to invest in a pedal-board full of stuff I won't be able to use anyway because for some godawful reason my cats like chewing through my pedal's powercables.[/QUOTE]

Was about to chime in until I read your perfectly expressed post. Exactly why I did not go with a tube amp, which is all that I've previously ever played through.

I should also point out, the 75W Peavey retails for $299.00, just a wee bit below the scratch I have available (a credit on my CC for lifelong use, instead of miles, I get this). A Lower Watt version exists as well, and is even cheaper.

The cheapest tube amp of a brand I'd be interested in starts at $500 and goes from there....fast. I was, prior to hearing the Peavey, was looking at a small Blackstar amp, and it was (if I recall) a 15W for $500.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939304]I play on the porch a lot.[/QUOTE]

That's....

....not surprising at all actually. :P:D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939304]exactly my point

most people are playing amps that are too big for their surroundings.

I'm one of them, because I've never really found an amp with the cleans and headrooms I want under 15 watts, except for the above two watter, and that OD is nothing special.

I should have had master volume or an attenuator put in.

I play on the porch a lot.[/QUOTE]

Lower wattage tube amps are not supposed to have a lot of headroom. And if you want clean, an attenuator is NOT the way to go. An attentuator will "heat up" the power tubes at lower volumes so your amp goes into that Power Tube Saturation at a lower volume. If you want clean with headroom, you should be looking at higher wattage tube amps (or solid state amps). That's why the fender twin is so popular. 80-100 watts of clean tone. Perfect for putting a bunch of fx pedals in front. The amp doesn't break up until you drive the front end with pedals and what not.

Fish, you're a Gilmour fan. I don't think you'd be satisfied with a computer sounding amplifier. Just a hunch. I've known a lot of guys trying to do what you're doing. They all go back to tubes.

All Pro
    It's times like these when i wanna say f*ck the electronics and go acoustic exclusively cuz if you can't play clean on a nekked gitfiddle, it's only gonna sound worse amplified.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939304]I play on the porch a lot.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3939329]That's....

....not surprising at all actually. :P:D[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://blogs.e-rockford.com/movieman/files/2009/07/deliverance_banjo.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939323]I should also point out, the 75W Peavey retails for $299.00, just a wee bit below the scratch I have available (a credit on my CC for lifelong use, instead of miles, I get this). A Lower Watt version exists as well, and is even cheaper.

The cheapest tube amp of a brand I'd be interested in starts at $500 and goes from there....fast. I was, prior to hearing the Peavey, was looking at a small Blackstar amp, and it was (if I recall) a 15W for $500.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Changes the game entirely. Carry on then. :D

[QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3939335]Lower wattage tube amps are not supposed to have a lot of headroom. And if you want clean, an attenuator is NOT the way to go. An attentuator will "heat up" the power tubes at lower volumes so your amp goes into that Power Tube Saturation at a lower volume. If you want clean with headroom, you should be looking at higher wattage tube amps (or solid state amps). That's why the fender twin is so popular. 80-100 watts of clean tone. Perfect for putting a bunch of fx pedals in front. The amp doesn't break up until you drive the front end with pedals and what not.

Fish, you're a Gilmour fan. I don't think you'd be satisfied with a computer sounding amplifier. Just a hunch. I've known a lot of guys trying to do what you're doing. They all go back to tubes.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, I completely get your point, and (I think we all know) I AM a snob of gear far in excess of any skill I will ever posess (i.e. I own a PRS, USA Gibson and Limited Edition Japan Fender for example, not the single rusty cheap chinese Epi my skills would warrant).

And at some point, when I own a home (the next big life move), I will surely snag a quality tube rig. Or fix the Marshall.

But I'm such a lazy bastard (partly due to an insane lack of patience with my own lack of skill), I need something there to drive me, and silly as it sounds, funky effects and options (and a working amp I can afford right now) do that for me. I boughtthe PRS not long ago, but the Marshall died within days, and frankly I havn;t played much since then through the piddly Fender practice rig thats my "second line" amp at current.

I really think this will serve a good need, for (effectively) free, and give me some fun effects-driven space rock enjoyment in the short term, till I get un-lazy and drag the Marshall out to the repair show.

Liek I said, if I had any talent, I might think differently, but it's a truth in life to do ones best to "know thyself", and I suck. Thus, while I might love to be Gilmour, the only Dave I am is Dave Kawalchuck, the schmuck from down the block who annoys hsi neighbors with his racket of badly figered power cords and repetative drone rock and bad not-even-pentatonic-scale soloing.
    Last edited by Warfish; 01-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3939304]
    I play on the porch a lot.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3939329]That's....

....not surprising at all actually. :P:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jets Things;3939339][IMG]http://blogs.e-rockford.com/movieman/files/2009/07/deliverance_banjo.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/view1/1325929/rainbow-chicken-dance-o.gif[/IMG]

that's where the chicken dance got it's start

[QUOTE=RageATL;3939337]It's times like these when i wanna say f*ck the electronics and go acoustic exclusively cuz if you can't play clean on a nekked gitfiddle, it's only gonna sound worse amplified.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. Most days, I only play my acoustic, which is always out and ready on a guitar stand in my family room. Although I get into the sound, I hate setting up the electric gear.

[QUOTE=RageATL;3939337]It's times like these when i wanna say f*ck the electronics and go acoustic exclusively cuz if you can't play clean on a nekked gitfiddle, it's only gonna sound worse amplified.[/QUOTE]

lol, I bought a nice Electro-capable Martin D-15CE (an all mahoghany number) to play with my neighbor many moons ago.

Not a few eeks later I moved away, and frankly, I hate the bass-heavy designed-for-figerstyle sound of the Martin. Only pure stubborness stops me from selling it and buying a Taylor.

That, and again, it's hard to get the wife to approve such extravagence given I suck, don;t play out, and we're saving for our first home (in our mid-30's, we're so fail, I know).

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3939335]Lower wattage tube amps are not supposed to have a lot of headroom. And if you want clean, an attenuator is NOT the way to go. An attentuator will "heat up" the power tubes at lower volumes so your amp goes into that Power Tube Saturation at a lower volume. [/QUOTE]

yeah I don't play just clean-all I'm saying is that I wish there were more 5 and 10 watters with nice clean highs. they all seem to twang rather than chime or sparkle. if that makes sense.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939350]Don't get me wrong, I completely get your point, and (I think we all know) I AM a snob of gear far in excess of any skill I will ever posess (i.e. I own a PRS, USA Gibson and Limited Edition Japan Fender for example, not the single rusty cheap chinese Epi my skills would warrant).

And at some point, when I own a home (the next big life move), I will surely snag a quality tube rig. Or fix the Marshall.

But I'm such a lazy bastard (partly due to an insane lack of patience with my own lack of skill), I need something there to drive me, and silly as it sounds, funky effects and options (and a working amp I can afford right now) do that for me. I boughtthe PRS not long ago, but the Marshall died within days, and frankly I havn;t played much since then through the piddly Fender practice rig thats my "second line" amp at current.

I really think this will serve a good need, for (effectively) free, and give me some fun effects-driven space rock enjoyment in the short term, till I get un-lazy and drag the Marshall out to the repair show.

Liek I said, if I had any talent, I might think differently, but it's a truth in life to do ones best to "know thyself", and I suck. Thus, while I might love to be Gilmour, the only Dave I am is Dave Kawalchuck, the schmuck from down the block who annoys hsi neighbors with his racket of badly figered power cords and repetative drone rock and bad not-even-pentatonic-scale soloing.[/QUOTE]

Especially with the price range you're looking at, you probably won't want to look at anything different than a modelling amp. Unless you wanted to look at used equipment.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3939364]yeah I don't play just clean-all I'm saying is that I wish there were more 5 and 10 watters with nice clean highs. they all seem to twang rather than chime or sparkle. if that makes sense.[/QUOTE]

Try finding a five watt head or chassis and put it through a larger speaker. Often the lower watt tube amps utilize a 5" or an 8" speaker. They just don't move enough air to get that chimey sound (at least the way that I interpret "chime" :D) A 5 watt tube head through a 20-30 watt 15" or 12" speaker sounds pretty amazing.

Bewildered Beast
    Hey how can I post a spreadsheet?

I play out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40W. It's got great tone. I replaced the tubes with Groove Tubes.

Now a few months ago I just found out Groove Tubes makes an amp. It sounded pretty bad ass. I might get one of those eventually.