Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Music, Picking Up One of These This Weekend

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3939355]This is so true. Most days, I only play my acoustic, which is always out and ready on a guitar stand in my family room. Although I get into the sound, I hate setting up the electric gear.[/QUOTE]

To me THIS is the key to playing. When it's in the case, it's out of sight, out of mind. When it's sitting there on a stand, ready to play, I tend to pick it up more frequently if nothing else than to plunk away and learn a new song I heard.

I own several acoustics but only the one Strat as far as electrics go partly due to the nature of the beast; amp, cables, sheer volume of playing, electronics, etc. I keep the nicer acoustics tucked away in their cases and leave out a POS Applause thin roundback acoustic/electric I bought off a buddy to beat the sh*t out of and take on camping trips and such. Turns out that guitar ends up being the one I play most seeing as how it's always out cuz I don't GAF about busting it up.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3939357]lol, I bought a nice Electro-capable Martin D-15CE (an all mahoghany number) to play with my neighbor many moons ago.

Not a few eeks later I moved away, and frankly, I hate the bass-heavy designed-for-figerstyle sound of the Martin. Only pure stubborness stops me from selling it and buying a Taylor.

That, and again, it's hard to get the wife to approve such extravagence given I suck, don;t play out, and we're saving for our first home (in our mid-30's, we're so fail, I know).[/QUOTE]

I've always been a big Martin fan, they are simply effortless to play, never really liked Taylors...until a buddy of mine lost interest in playing, had a baby and GAVE me his. :D

Veteran
    [QUOTE=southside;3939388]I play out of a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40W. It's got great tone. I replaced the tubes with Groove Tubes.

Now a few months ago I just found out Groove Tubes makes an amp. It sounded pretty bad ass. I might get one of those eventually.[/QUOTE]

If you find one you like, buy it. Groove Tubes doesn't make them any more. They're not making anything right now outside of tubes, but even the tubes are few and far between.

All Pro
    High priced for sure, but these are 'sposed to be pretty damn nice:

[url]http://www.two-rock.com/[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;3939382]Try finding a five watt head or chassis and put it through a larger speaker. Often the lower watt tube amps utilize a 5" or an 8" speaker. They just don't move enough air to get that chimey sound (at least the way that I interpret "chime" :D) A 5 watt tube head through a 20-30 watt 15" or 12" speaker sounds pretty amazing.[/QUOTE]

I settled on a 15 watt vox ac15 clone with lots of chime. not exactly clean, it has that vox fuzz, but i chose pups and strings to get the sound I wanted. took some doing.

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQBmFw2-jk[/url]

[QUOTE=Timmy®;3939490]I settled on a 15 watt vox ac15 clone with lots of chime. not exactly clean, it has that vox fuzz, but i chose pups and strings to get the sound I wanted. took some doing.

[url]www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQBmFw2-jk[/url][/QUOTE]

Sounds nice and clean. At first glance, I thought it was Jackson Browne in the vid.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm going to start a fishing thread and none of you axe-wielding monocled people can't join....except for Warfish & Beerfish... :D

[QUOTE=Fishooked;3939692]I'm going to start a fishing thread and none of you axe-wielding monocled people can't join....except for Warfish & Beerfish... :D[/QUOTE]

G-Loomis Rods, Daiwa Reels and Live Target Lures.

Nuff said.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939696]G-Loomis Rods, Daiwa Reels and Live Target Lures.

Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

do they still make the Popeil Pocket Fisherman?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3939602]Sounds nice and clean. At first glance, I thought it was Jackson Browne in the vid.[/QUOTE]

Not sure why I have never been attracted to play electric guitars. griwing uo as a stand up bass player , electric bass and then acoustic guitar. I would pick up the Les Paul etc...but it wasn't for me. That said....

Any of you guys play these electrics with all the reverb etc.... and then move to a beautiful Taylor or Martin and realize your chops are NOT what you thought when not covered by all the electronics?

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3940288]Not sure why I have never been attracted to play electric guitars. griwing uo as a stand up bass player , electric bass and then acoustic guitar. I would pick up the Les Paul etc...but it wasn't for me. That said....

Any of you guys play these electrics with all the reverb etc.... and then move to a beautiful Taylor or Martin and realize your chops are NOT what you thought when not covered by all the electronics?[/QUOTE]

First things first: I'm a hacker guitar player. That said, I almost always learn rhythm and leads on my acoustic first, bends and all. By the time I get to my electric, playing seems a ton easier.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;3940296]First things first: I'm a hacker guitar player. That said, I almost always learn rhythm and leads on my acoustic first, bends and all. By the time I get to my electric, playing seems a ton easier.[/QUOTE]

^ This. You've gotta clean things up in your playing before you take it to the electric or else it'll sound like sonic mush. Plus, if you strengthen your fingers using thicker gauge strings on an acoustic and then switch to your electric, playing is a breeze.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RageATL;3940385]^ This. You've gotta clean things up in your playing before you take it to the electric or else it'll sound like sonic mush. Plus, if you strengthen your fingers using thicker gauge strings on an acoustic and then switch to your electric, playing is a breeze.[/QUOTE]

classical guitar is great too. really stretch the fingers and learn to play with the fingertips

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3939696]G-Loomis Rods, Daiwa Reels and Live Target Lures.

Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

I can't afford any of those, I dont make mod money.

Rods are whatever is one sale, Okuma reels, and Rapalas.

:D

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3940288]Not sure why I have never been attracted to play electric guitars. griwing uo as a stand up bass player , electric bass and then acoustic guitar. I would pick up the Les Paul etc...but it wasn't for me. That said....

Any of you guys play these electrics with all the reverb etc.... and then move to a beautiful Taylor or Martin and realize your chops are NOT what you thought when not covered by all the electronics?[/QUOTE]

Look, bass player, when we want your attitude in the guitar amp thread, we'll give it to you! :cool: bass players always acting like Dad; where do you guys get off?

I guess that's what happens when you choose 4 strings over six. Too bad. :D

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3940523]Look, bass player, [/QUOTE]

Is it any wonder Derek Smalls was the only Spinal Tap member who couldn't get out of his bubble?
    [IMG]http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/j/q/jqoq91nylliun1lo.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;3940441]I can't afford any of those, I dont make mod money.

:D[/QUOTE]

I know you're more of a freshwater guy, but I got these before last summer (wife got me a gift certificate to TackleDirect.com) and they're the tits.

[URL="http://www.tackledirect.com/avet-jx-mc-reels.html"]http://www.tackledirect.com/avet-jx-mc-reels.html[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-tvss66xxl-trevala-s-jigging-spinning-rod.html"]http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-tvss66xxl-trevala-s-jigging-spinning-rod.html[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;3940523]Look, bass player, when we want your attitude in the guitar amp thread, we'll give it to you! :cool: bass players always acting like Dad; where do you guys get off?

I guess that's what happens when you choose 4 strings over six. Too bad. :D[/QUOTE]

LMAO! Good stuff.

My college roommates son, who I would like to think that I influenced heavily into BASS, now is a freshman at the University of Maryland playing Bass in their orchestra. I picked up his 5 string bass and I couldn't play $hit.

I am a 4 string kind a guy!

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;3940577]Is it any wonder Derek Smalls was the only Spinal Tap member who couldn't get out of his bubble?
    [IMG]http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/j/q/jqoq91nylliun1lo.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

LOL

southpark is wayy too sharp for those bubbles, methinks.

[QUOTE=Fishooked;3940441]I can't afford any of those, I dont make mod money.

:D[/QUOTE]

If we ever meet, I'd be happy to donate some well-loved Rods to you.

lol, I said "well loved rod".

So how is the amp, Warfish?