Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hampur PSA

Hampur PSA

Don't drink and drive. We all do it from time to time, but the next time anyone is tempted, opt not to. It's just not worth it.

Example: I have never seen a car literally cut in half before:

[QUOTE][url]http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/traffic/west-palm-beach-man-dies-in-violent-bmw-1205635.html[/url]
    [IMG]http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00711/012411_met_southsho_711082c.jpg[/IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

Poor bastard [URL="http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449261"]even posted on a car forum[/URL], showing off his car (and great photography skills) shortly before the crash. Hauntingly, I mean really hauntingly, this was one of the photos he shot and posted:

[IMG]http://www.pikartdsg.com/m3/M3_ZCP-10.jpg[/IMG]

RIP.

Hall Of Fame
    Jetsthings saw the thread title and thought "someone's going to stick their finger up my ass!! Yeah!!!"

_

[QUOTE=pauliec;3939740]Don't drink and drive. We all do it from time to time[/QUOTE]

As a young man I believe I may have gotten married simply to have a designated driver. :(

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3939768]Jetsthings saw the thread title and thought "someone's going to stick their finger up my ass!! Yeah!!!"

_[/QUOTE]

I'm too young for PSA's. And gloves. Wait what?

Jets Insider VIP
    [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWSqiqd45c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdWSqiqd45c[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3939740]Don't drink and drive. We all do it from time to time, but the next time anyone is tempted, opt not to. It's just not worth it.

Example: I have never seen a car literally cut in half before:

[/QUOTE]

There was a guy with his Dad's M5 who drove down the runway on a small private airport in Florida and bit the dust similarly. He posted on a forum too. I think he took a few friends with him sadly. The car was completely demolished, almost unrecognizable. It flew off a cliff and hit a tree at over 100mph.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-26-2011 at 12:14 AM.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;3940117] It flew off a cliff and hit a tree at over 100mph.[/QUOTE]

I dont mean to make fun of the dead but WTF? Flew off a cliff [B][I]and[/I][/B] hit a tree? Was the guy Wily Coyote?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3940210]I dont mean to make fun of the dead but WTF? Flew off a cliff [B][I]and[/I][/B] hit a tree? Was the guy Wily Coyote?[/QUOTE]

Crazy, but true story.

Jets Insider VIP
    South Shore Blvd is 30 mph according to Google StreetView. Dude must've been flying to hit a tree, split the car in two, hit another tree and then burst into flames.

[QUOTE=jetstream23;3940403]Crazy, but true story.[/QUOTE]

I remember that story, it happened on a neighborhood airstrip where John Travolta lives (where everyone in the neighborhood owns their own plane.

This kid took out his dad's M5, packed it with a bunch of friends, and hit the airstrip flat out. I think he lost control of the car, veered off, hit an embankment, and the car went airborn.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3940421]South Shore Blvd is 30 mph according to Google StreetView. Dude must've been flying to hit a tree, split the car in two, hit another tree and then burst into flames.[/QUOTE]
    Just to split a car in 2 is insane.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3940423]I remember that story, it happened on a neighborhood airstrip where John Travolta lives (where everyone in the neighborhood owns their own plane.

This kid took out his dad's M5, packed it with a bunch of friends, and hit the airstrip flat out. I think he lost control of the car, veered off, hit an embankment, and the car went airborn.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325816,00.html[/url]

[QUOTE]OCALA, Fla. A car traveling at high speed down a private airport runway ran off an embankment and was airborne for 200 feet before smashing into a tree early Saturday, killing all five young men in the vehicle, the Florida Highway Patrol said.[/QUOTE]

You can see the police car and officer at the top of the embankment where the car launched from and that's apparently the tree where the car hit. It doesn't even look like a car anymore. It was airborne for about 66 yards (think about a football field). Three occupants were ejected, two were found in the vehicle. All were pronounced dead at the scene.

[IMG]http://www.ocala.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=OS&Date=20080127&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=801270355&Ref=AR&Profile=1001[/IMG]
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-26-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3940429]Just to split a car in 2 is insane.[/QUOTE]

F*cking A. Just insanity.

People always drive outside the limits of their vehicles...and they usually test those limits on streets with other traffic. My old man took me to empty parking lots when he was teaching me to drive and showed me how to do donuts and burnouts. The first time it snowed when I was 16, he took me to a mall parking lot and let me screw around for 2 hours...using the e-brake, oversteering, understeering, etc. told me to slam the gas to the floor and then mash on the brakes as heard as I could.

I thought the man was insane and had completely lost his mind. But having me do all that stuff taught me more about the limitations of a vehicle than any idiot "driving instructor" teaching me to merge and signal and parallel park.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3940448]F*cking A. Just insanity.

People always drive outside the limits of their vehicles...and they usually test those limits on streets with other traffic. My old man took me to empty parking lots when he was teaching me to drive and showed me how to do donuts and burnouts. The first time it snowed when I was 16, he took me to a mall parking lot and let me screw around for 2 hours...using the e-brake, oversteering, understeering, etc. told me to slam the gas to the floor and then mash on the brakes as heard as I could.

I thought the man was insane and had completely lost his mind. But having me do all that stuff taught me more about the limitations of a vehicle than any idiot "driving instructor" teaching me to merge and signal and parallel park.[/QUOTE]
    Smart man your Dad.

When people explain to me how much more dangerous motorcycles are, I always talk about knowing your limitations. On a bike, basic survival instincts dictate where your limitations are. Unless of course youre a madman constantly pushing the envelope, just being on 2 wheels changes everything.

How many people slow down when the road is wet while driving? On a bike you feel right away the grip is totally different, so you slow down.

Dont get me wrong, I do believe bikes are more dangerous, but I also think Im 10 times more alert on my bike than when I drive (fiddling with the radio, GPS, calling, daydreaming ..).

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3940491]Smart man your Dad.

When people explain to me how much more dangerous motorcycles are, I always talk about knowing your limitations. On a bike, basic survival instincts dictate where your limitations are. Unless of course youre a madman constantly pushing the envelope, just being on 2 wheels changes everything.

How many people slow down when the road is wet while driving? On a bike you feel right away the grip is totally different, so you slow down.

Dont get me wrong, I do believe bikes are more dangerous, but I also think Im 10 times more alert on my bike than when I drive (fiddling with the radio, GPS, calling, daydreaming ..).[/QUOTE]

It's also an age/maturity/Dad thing.

Back in college when I had my first bike, it was almost always a drag race from stop light to stop light. Speed was full of WIN.

I got my Harley when I "grew up" after I had kids. I don't think I've ever gone over 60 on the bike and I routinely cruise at or below the speed limit. Even slower around town. Speed does nothing for me now (well, at least on the bike).

_

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3940516]I don't think I've ever gone over 60 on the bike....[/QUOTE]

That's good. I'm pretty sure you'd void the manufacturer's warranty if you did.... :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3940516]It's also an age/maturity/Dad thing.

Back in college when I had my first bike, it was almost always a drag race from stop light to stop light. Speed was full of WIN.

I got my Harley when I "grew up" after I had kids. I don't think I've ever gone over 60 on the bike and I routinely cruise at or below the speed limit. Even slower around town. Speed does nothing for me now (well, at least on the bike).

_[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, since I became a Dad Im much more aware of any risk I take. I like to think Im responsible but the truth is I'm almost systematically over the speed limit.

Riding a bike though does bring out the little Devil in you, more than a car

Veteran
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;3940525]Riding a bike though does bring out the little Devil in you, more than a car[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOQGhKzeLxK-QltpXpygRvtd-PrOVLmH_WsgM5Zg71rMDCRjwP[/IMG]

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3940448]F*cking A. Just insanity.

I thought the man was insane and had completely lost his mind. But having me do all that stuff taught me more about the limitations of a vehicle than any idiot "driving instructor" teaching me to merge and signal and parallel park.[/QUOTE]

Back when fixing a car didn't take two weeks pay. :D

Smart man, your Dad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Getting back to the initial point of the thread, I concur heartily with the Don't Drink and Drive message.

My wife's brother was killed by a drunk driver. 30 years later, her family is still haunted and majorly fuked up from it