Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Von Miller compare to Clay Matthews?

How does Von Miller compare to Clay Matthews?

I saw that he weighed in a light, 237, at the Senior Bowl. Matthews weighed at 240 at the combine.

Both have similar heights at 6'2 and 6'3 respectively...Both were known in college for high octane type play...Both were considered too small to play DE in a 4-3, and questions about their ability to play OLB in a 3-4 were asked (I had Matthews pegged as a 3-4 ILB because of his size)....I clearly underrated Clay the pass rusher, but Miller's reputation as a pass rusher is pretty secure...Miller, like Matthews, seems to be a natural at LB and does things other than rushing the passer well...

This isn't too well thought out and mostly it came from reading Bit's comment on NFLDC that Miller's best fit might be as a 4-3 OLB...but does anyone else see the similarities or am I just made? What does this do for his prospect status? I think I'm starting to see this guy as a possible Jet pick in the late first like Matthews and Hughes...especially considering he's probably going to kill workouts. He also gets a boost because "undersized" guys have been taking to the 3-4 OLB position pretty well...from Harylson and Dumerville to the much more bally-hooed Matthews...What're the board feelings on Miller?
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-25-2011 at 08:22 PM.

To Patriots at #17....at least in my 1st little tiral mock.

Miller was profiled on the espn Senior Bowl recap today and they specifically comapred him to matthews. Basically saying they both played a hybrid position in college, and show the work ethic and love for football to make the transition easier (the opposite of gholston). They also said he dominated rushing the passer, and has the speed and athleticism to play coverage.

Guy sounds like he would be exactly what we need, but we'd need to trade up again, and i dont think we can do it.

I also thought it was interesting they mentioned Herzlich as being very limited in coverage (his strength before the cancer) and might a good fit for an 3-4 ILB....would love to see that, since at 6'4 260ish he could be a great pass rusher in our defense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Miller was profiled on the espn Senior Bowl recap today and they specifically comapred him to matthews. Basically saying they both played a hybrid position in college, and show the work ethic and love for football to make the transition easier (the opposite of gholston). They also said he dominated rushing the passer, and has the speed and athleticism to play coverage.

Guy sounds like he would be exactly what we need, but we'd need to trade up again, and i dont think we can do it.

I also thought it was interesting they mentioned Herzlich as being very limited in coverage (his strength before the cancer) and might a good fit for an 3-4 ILB....would love to see that, since at 6'4 260ish he could be a great pass rusher in our defense.
    Miller does not have the intensity that Matthews does. He's less physical and not quite as strong. That said, Miller is faster, quicker and much better in coverage.

I had Herzlich going to the Jets in the "Big Changes" thread... I think he'd be a great fit here as a LB who could play inside or outside. He has a nice, well rounded game and I think he's eventually going to get his explosion back. It would be a good bargain to snag him in the 3rd round.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Miller does not have the intensity that Matthews does. He's less physical and not quite as strong. That said, Miller is faster, quicker and much better in coverage.

I had Herzlich going to the Jets in the "Big Changes" thread... I think he'd be a great fit here as a LB who could play inside or outside. He has a nice, well rounded game and I think he's eventually going to get his explosion back. It would be a good bargain to snag him in the 3rd round.
    I saw you had Herzlich in your mock which I think would be awesome.

Im a BC grad so homerism is part of it, but I watched every game this year....it was a slow process, but he drastically improved and by the last 2 games was flashing signs of his old self. He also fractured a bone in his foot and was hampered with that the first couple of games, then played the entire middle of the season with a cast on his hand.

He is versatile enough to play inside and outside, is tall enough to cover the Gronks and Hernandezs and most importantly the kid is determined as hell and loves football.

Side note I also think Kiwi is perfect for us as an edge rusher who has pro experience at DE and OLB.

The school has a tendency to produce very solid pros...so I have no problem with targeting 2 BC guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

1- forget about Herzlich...has looked a fraction of what he was prior to his illness...sad but that's the truth..

2- Miller has looked awful in pass rush drills- looks like a better 4-3 OLB prospect than 3-4....

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    1- forget about Herzlich...has looked a fraction of what he was prior to his illness...sad but that's the truth..

2- Miller has looked awful in pass rush drills- looks like a better 4-3 OLB prospect than 3-4....
    I hear ya, but it takes a year playing, plus an offseason for a player to get back after a serious injury, let alone one that hurt the body part (leg) and sapped their entire body...there really isnt even a person to compare to since this is virtually unheard of (and hence the risk).

But i think he is worth the risk....especially if people are down on him and its the 4th round instead of the 3rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I hear ya, but it takes a year playing, plus an offseason for a player to get back after a serious injury, let alone one that hurt the body part (leg) and sapped their entire body...there really isnt even a person to compare to since this is virtually unheard of (and hence the risk).

But i think he is worth the risk....especially if people are down on him and its the 4th round instead of the 3rd.
    Herzlich won't be drafted before the 6th round...maybe 5th....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Herzlich won't be drafted before the 6th round...maybe 5th....
    Am I misremembering or were you thinking that he may have been a future mid-first rounder prior to his diagnosis?

Does the potential for a recurrence factor in to your prediction?

Everyone thought of him as a mid-first rounder before his diagnosis. From the games that I've seen, I don't think that it's reoccurrence is what's scaring teams away. I think it's the fact that he looks like a shell of his former self and the odds are against him becoming a dominant player again.

Jets Insider VIP
    The difference is miller is natural. Matthews is juiced out of his mind.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Am I misremembering or were you thinking that he may have been a future mid-first rounder prior to his diagnosis?

Does the potential for a recurrence factor in to your prediction?
    easily a mid-first before his injury...recurrence is not the issue as much as he's looked awful as a senior and terrible this week...really looks like nothing more than a two down run defender...

has been sapped of his explosion and quickness....got the same feeling when i watched the Duke D-lineman workout at the combine last year...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    i don't think matthews is on roids...cushing was on the juice big time...

All League
    Played football in highschool with Cushing... ya, big time

Matthews looks like he's juicing big time, and this isn't because he's white (just to get that out of the way for some numbskullz) there are certain elements of bone structure to look for to see that someone has been on roids/HGH and he throws up plenty of red flags

Veteran

A lot of what I've heard about Miller is that he's relied almost exclusively on speed in college, and that he doesn't have any developed pass-rush moves. If that's the case, I don't think that's going to fly in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    lol you nailed it man. Miller will start slowly like most rookies... and then beast for 10 years... Matthews will burn brightly but by year 4 will lose effectiveness. BUt they have similar body types. I dont think Matthews keeps up this level of production.

I saw you had Herzlich in your mock which I think would be awesome.

Im a BC grad so homerism is part of it, but I watched every game this year....it was a slow process, but he drastically improved and by the last 2 games was flashing signs of his old self. He also fractured a bone in his foot and was hampered with that the first couple of games, then played the entire middle of the season with a cast on his hand.

He is versatile enough to play inside and outside, is tall enough to cover the Gronks and Hernandezs and most importantly the kid is determined as hell and loves football.

Side note I also think Kiwi is perfect for us as an edge rusher who has pro experience at DE and OLB.

The school has a tendency to produce very solid pros...so I have no problem with targeting 2 BC guys.
    Would absolutley love ot of we got Herzlich in the 3rd, Rex could really polish him up and get him motivated, he seems like a diamond in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Would absolutley love ot of we got Herzlich in the 3rd, Rex could really polish him up and get him motivated, he seems like a diamond in the rough
    agree with CB on this one Herz is a late rounder, not good agility and serious durability concerns

Didn't Clay fail a steroid test at the combine?

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Motivated? That seems like the last thing this guy needs considering what he has had to overcome to get to the point of playing FB again