Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Big: An Offseason

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Going Big: An Offseason

Cuts:

Cromartie
    Holmes
    Harris
    Thomas
    Pryce
    B. Smith
    E. Smith
    Richardson
    Leonhard
    Folk

Kept:

Weatherford
    Coleman
    Ellis
    Edwards
    Pool
    Ihedigbo
    Clemens

FAs:

Mathias Kiwanuka (DE/OLB with better days ahead)
    Eric Wright (solid CB who can give Wilson a battle and then handle the nickel when he loses)
    Roman Harper (starting SS and the big signing of the offseason for us)
    Tavares Gooden (ILB on the up IMO)
    Ben Patrick (TE)
    Tom Zbikowski (PR/FS)

Draft:

1: Phil Taylor - His 15 minutes have arrived.
    3: Jeremy Beal - His 15 minutes passed, I still think he's a good player.
    4: Kendrick Ellis - DL rebuilt.
    5: Dwayne Harris - Not looking good at Senior Bowl, but I buy the upside this guy offers.
    6: Alex Henery - I know everyone's all "zomg Mike Nugent...we can't draft a K ever again(!)," but can we get over it for a talented leg?
    7: Jamie Harper - RB from Clemson for teh depth.

UDFA: Colby Whitlock
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-26-2011 at 12:15 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely like the Zbikowski signing, I didn't know he was a FA already. He would provide solid depth and knows the system from Baltimore. I didn't really pay attention to his playing this year, has he developed at all? could he start? and most importantly, with Baltimore's secondary diminishing, I think they will try to keep him, albeit they have much more problems at CB.

what position does Harris play? WR? I don't know much about him.

Besides that I like the players/positions/rounds everything is addressed. Still not completely sold on needing a kicker, however, if one was signed/drafted I wouldn't be opposed to letting Folk walk.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Cuts:

Cromartie
    Holmes
    Harris
    Thomas
    Pryce
    B. Smith
    E. Smith
    Richardson
    Leonhard
    Folk

Kept:

Weatherford
    Coleman
    Ellis
    Edwards
    Pool
    Ihedigbo
    Clemens

FAs:

Eric Wright (solid CB who can give Wilson a battle and then handle the nickel when he loses)
    Ben Patrick (TE)
    Tom Zbikowski (PR/FS)

Draft:

5: Dwayne Harris - Not looking good at Senior Bowl, but I buy the upside this guy offers.
    6: Alex Henery - I know everyone's all "zomg Mike Nugent...we can't draft a K ever again(!)," but can we get over it for a talented leg?

I would hope we at least franchise the most valuable of our big 4 that we don't sign. I like it otherwise. Love the Phil Taylor pick up, he is to me what Heyward is/was to you lol. I would hope we could trade our franchise player for a high second and get Heyward/Baylor 1-2 punch Ellis is good given this draft don't know much about Harris and Harper tho. Beal would be a sick pickup in the 3rd.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cuts:

Cromartie
    Holmes
    Harris
    Thomas
    Pryce
    B. Smith
    E. Smith
    Richardson
    Leonhard
    Folk

Kept:

Weatherford
    Coleman
    Ellis
    Edwards
    Pool
    Ihedigbo
    Clemens

FAs:

Ben Patrick (TE)
    Tom Zbikowski (PR/FS)

Draft:

Kiwi may come in for a one year muligan. and then establish himself for 2012

Beal is not going to last until #94, he wont last until 64. He is only one of a few 3-4 olb projections that have played in space in school

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cuts:

Cromartie
    Holmes
    Harris
    Thomas
    Pryce
    B. Smith
    E. Smith
    Richardson
    Leonhard
    Folk

Kept:

Weatherford
    Coleman
    Ellis
    Edwards
    Pool
    Ihedigbo
    Clemens

FAs:

Ben Patrick (TE)
    Tom Zbikowski (PR/FS)

Draft:

I think you went a little cuckoo for cocoa puffs with all the player turnover.

And if we cut Cromartie a year after we gave up a 2nd for him, I'll kill you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i actually really like the eric wright signing.. if we dont end up keeping cromartie i think its smarter to go after a guy like this or a grimes than pay the big money for aso. Then we could take the money saved and spread it around on new OLB's in FA which i think is also extremely important to upgrade.

Everyone is focusing like crazy on aso but there is a pretty talented market for CB's out there. Now idk who is going to be resigned, tagged or who would be a RFA due to different things with the CBA so dont kill me for putting a name here, but here is a list of guys that i think would be pretty interesting to look at in the offseason if we decide to get rid of cro.

Brent Grimes
    Carlos Rodgers
    Johnathon Joseph
    Richard Marshall
    Chris Carr
    Brandon Carr
    Fabian Washington

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roman Harper? The guy that positively got lite up in the playoff loss to the Hawks?

Rex will not dump Leonard.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebetfan80 View Post
    i actually really like the eric wright signing.. if we dont end up keeping cromartie i think its smarter to go after a guy like this or a grimes than pay the big money for aso. Then we could take the money saved and spread it around on new OLB's in FA which i think is also extremely important to upgrade.

Everyone is focusing like crazy on aso but there is a pretty talented market for CB's out there. Now idk who is going to be resigned, tagged or who would be a RFA due to different things with the CBA so dont kill me for putting a name here, but here is a list of guys that i think would be pretty interesting to look at in the offseason if we decide to get rid of cro.

Brent Grimes
    Carlos Rodgers
    Johnathon Joseph
    Richard Marshall
    Chris Carr
    Brandon Carr
    Fabian Washington
    Joseph, Marshall, and Washington were the other names I decided from...mostly because they could move inside if Wilson's game stepped up a little.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Harper signing? For some reason I thought that'd be interesting.

Alternate mock:

FAs:

Deon Grant
    Barry Cofield
    Brandon Mebane
    Fabian Washington
    Gooden

1: Brooks Reed - Koa Misi went in the top 40 last year, and this guy is probably a little bit bigger and better.

3: Ahmad Black - GGI's boy is srs.

4: Robert Sands - That's right, TWO safeties...in a row...

5: KJ Wright - Big LB from Miss. St needs some coaching.

6: Alex Henery

7: Virgil Green - Nevada TE with plus size and speed...not a bad blocker for that description, and not a great pass catcher for that description.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-26-2011 at 07:54 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would sh!t pancakes if we got Black.

I mean, we already have one in Leonhard, but Black's as safe a bet as any in terms of a prospect for sure carving out a nice career in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    I think you went a little cuckoo for cocoa puffs with all the player turnover.

And if we cut Cromartie a year after we gave up a 2nd for him, I'll kill you.
    Could tag and trade him....iunno...there's no actual FA right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could tag and trade him....iunno...there's no actual FA right now.
    I dont know about tagging him, With Revis and Aso making big bucks last year the tag for a corner is going to be about 9 mill, and I don't see Cro worth that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I dont know about tagging him, With Revis and Aso making big bucks last year the tag for a corner is going to be about 9 mill, and I don't see Cro worth that.
    Ya I dont know if any of the Jets FA are worth tagging; they are all good, but none spectacular...that's whats going to make it more tricky.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Ya I dont know if any of the Jets FA are worth tagging; they are all good, but none spectacular...that's whats going to make it more tricky.
    I was thinking tag and trade. I personally only want to keep Edwards and if possible Holmes. Beyond that I am not too attached. Franchise the most valuable player you don't plan on keeping long term and then trade for picks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I was thinking tag and trade. I personally only want to keep Edwards and if possible Holmes. Beyond that I am not too attached. Franchise the most valuable player you don't plan on keeping long term and then trade for picks.
    Yes, but that would mean another team would want to pay the tagged salary...as I said, I don't think any of them are worth that salary. Maybe Harris?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Yes, but that would mean another team would want to pay the tagged salary...as I said, I don't think any of them are worth that salary. Maybe Harris?
    Well a team might be interested in having them long term. In which case they might just redo it into a long term deal, or at the very least pay them more this year but save a bit in an extension.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, sign Braylon long term and franchise HOlmes then get draft picks if someone wants him. People outside the org mostly rate HOlmes higher than Edwards, whereas Braylon prolly brings more overall to the team.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Roman Harper? The guy that positively got lite up in the playoff loss to the Hawks?

Rex will not dump Leonard.
    +1, this guy was exposed in coverage situations by Hasselbeck and his mediocre receivers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrebetfan80 View Post

Brent Grimes
    Carlos Rodgers
    Johnathon Joseph
    Richard Marshall
    Chris Carr
    Brandon Carr
    Fabian Washington
    It's not a bad idea at all. Wright is not a good #1 CB but he could be a pretty good #2 CB especially in Rex's system. He'd probably have a similar development to what Cromartie had when he came here plus he'd be significantly cheaper.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yes, sign Braylon long term and franchise HOlmes then get draft picks if someone wants him. People outside the org mostly rate HOlmes higher than Edwards, whereas Braylon prolly brings more overall to the team.
    In theory can you franchise tag two players, just a random hypothetical. If you franchised a player and then traded him, could you wheel around an franchise another guy? Was just wondering

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In theory can you franchise tag two players, just a random hypothetical. If you franchised a player and then traded him, could you wheel around an franchise another guy? Was just wondering
    No. You can use one franchise or transition tag per offseason.

As per the OP, I think that is really draconian towards our own players. The Jets basically would be shedding net salary as opposed to this year, and if we have a cap it is almost certain to go up and not down.

As for the players signed, I like all of the signings except for Eric Wright, who has been benched more than once and looked kind of bad when I have watched Cleveland games.