Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Commute From Hell (ThunderSnow 2011)

The Commute From Hell (ThunderSnow 2011)

So, DC doesn;t handle snow well.

Worse, it released all Fed. workers two hours early today, right as Thundersnow 2011 was starting.

The predictable result?

Untreated unplowed roads full of commuters, everywhere, all at once.

What a ****ing disaster.

Took me 9 hours. NINE HOURS to get hom tonight. I spent two hours strait + sitting in one spot, not moving. apparently a small hill ahead was totally blocked by cars/trucks that couldn;t get over it.

Nine ****ing hours.

I am speechless.

Realy.

Nine hours.

**** DC.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3941712]So, DC doesn;t handle snow well.

Worse, it released all Fed. workers two hours early today, right as Thundersnow 2011 was starting.

The predictable result?

What a ****ing disaster.

Took me 9 hours. NINE HOURS to get hom tonight. I spent two hours strait + sitting in one spot, not moving. apparently a small hill ahead was totally blocked by cars/trucks that couldn;t get over it.

Nine ****ing hours.

I am speechless.

Realy.

Nine hours.

**** DC.[/QUOTE]

You must have been freezing in that kilt

Did you say 9 hours? How long is your regular commute?

I'm surprised people didn't run out of gas. That is simply ridiculous.

[QUOTE=pauliec;3941720]Did you say 9 hours? How long is your regular commute?

I'm surprised people didn't run out of gas. That is simply ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't even my regular commuter (which is 36 miles).

It was about half normal, I was off today for an MD Appt. (apparently I have TMJ, more good ****ing news).

It was (under noraml circs.) a 45 min drive, maybe an hour in bad traffic.

I almost did run out of gas, cars where abandoned everywhere (looked like dead soldiers on a losing side battlefield), and my battery nearly died sittin in teh SAME SPOT FOR TWO HOURS!!!!FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

*sigh*

I hate this place.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    oh man sorry to hear that...and i heard there was thunder with the snow...strange...crack a brew and call it in sick tomorrow.

[QUOTE=BigJet85;3941729]oh man sorry to hear that...and i heard there was thunder with the snow...strange...crack a brew and call it in sick tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Already sent my boss an email. Happily, I have like 200 hours vac and 500 hour sick saved up. I rock that way.

I just need some "destress' time, or I'd already be passed out asleep, that drive was crazy stressful. Every second I though could be my last, way these *******s drive down here.

And for ****s sake, real-wheel-drive should be ILLEGAL in any kind of snow.

It took me half an hour to get home today. I live 3 blocks from work.

Jets Insider VIP

The predictable result?

What a ****ing disaster.

Nine ****ing hours.

I am speechless.

Realy.

Nine hours.

**** DC.[/QUOTE]

That is messed up, they were talking about it on the Weather Channel HOURS before it happened. They KNEW it would coincide with the eve rush and did nothing. Unreal.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3941730]Already sent my boss an email. Happily, I have like [B]200 hours vac and 500 hour sick saved up[/B]. I rock that way.

I just need some "destress' time, or I'd already be passed out asleep, that drive was crazy stressful. Every second I though could be my last, way these *******s drive down here.

And for ****s sake, real-wheel-drive should be ILLEGAL in any kind of snow.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmm.........very telling.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    logjam? in DC, you say? Unheard of, my good man; UNHEARD OF! :D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Warfish;3941724]I was off today for an MD Appt. (apparently I have TMJ).

[/QUOTE]

Ah...Too much Jetz. My Doc prescribed 10CC's.... of Euthanasia.

:dunno:

-

All Pro
    I have TMZ, channel 505

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3941768]Hmmmmm.........very telling.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Give it a rest, the only thing thats telling is I don't take alot of vacation or sick time, and since yu have no idea how long it took to save all that up, you can go ahead and leave your politics in hte politics forum.

Hall Of Fame
    Just heard a woman interviewed who was stuck in DC area traffic for three hours, no movement at all. She said the worst part of it was all the people honking their horns.:D

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3941768]Hmmmmm.........very telling.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yea! That is crazy, that someone can actually have time! :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;3941730]

And for ****s sake, real-wheel-drive should be ILLEGAL in any kind of snow.[/QUOTE]

Hey Fish, true story: driving back to L.I. from Houston back in the late 80's, and there was a freak snowstorm in northern Texas that we got caught up in. It was nothing as far as L.I. snowstorms go -- maybe a couple inches tops -- but it looked like pickup truck Armageddon all over the roads...flipped, crunched, abandoned. Actually made me appreciate the foul-weather driving ability of the idiots here up north.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3941712]So, DC doesn;t handle snow well.[/QUOTE]

Amazing really.

It snows there every year and they are still clueless on how to handle it. Its the same where I live in Midwest.

BTW, nice avatar.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3941730]And for ****s sake, real-wheel-drive should be ILLEGAL in any kind of snow.[/QUOTE]

It's the drivers. I see my 80 y.o. neighbor go out in her Chevy Impala to get her hair permed....even in a lake effect blizzard. NOTHING will stop that lady from getting her hair did.

Jets Insider VIP

The predictable result?

What a ****ing disaster.

Nine ****ing hours.

I am speechless.

Realy.

Nine hours.

**** DC.[/QUOTE]
    Bizarre for DC considering the amount of snow you get every year. We rarely get snow so we have no practically no infrastructures (snowplows..etc). So whenever it does snow, the whole country is paralyzed for 5 inches. (there's a joke in there somewhere).

The last 2 years we've had a ton of snow (relatively speaking). I had an epic 6h30 trip home this winter (usually 45 min). It's no use have snow tires either since noone else has them.

The big fail was timing. We're usually pretty decent at snow-handling for such a southern locale, tbh.

The FEds let everyone go two hours early, which triggered everyone else getting out two hours early too (DC is a Federal City/Area, when the Feds close, alot of the private offices follow suit, even if they dont work with the Feds).

But this decision put almost every commuter in DC on the roads, right as the snow started falling, and it fell fast and heavy. Before most of them got 1 mile, the roads were impassible with traffic jams, and the Plows couldn;t get through anywhere to treat roads or keep them plowed.

It got so bad, so fast, and the roads were so impassible, that by the time the Plows hit certain hills, they themselves were stuck in immobile traffic, and they (the plows) got stuck on the hills too! One major through road I passed was 100% blocked the other way by a giant 6 wheeled monster-plow, and a smaller plow behind it. Both were irrepairably stuck.

The various DOT's needed time to treat the roads once the wet heavy snow fell. All the pretreat they did the night before got washed away by a brief but heavy rain in the early am, and they never got the chance to re-treat it.

Just bad timing is all, really. If the Feds had kept folks at work another two hours, the plows and salters might have had a chance.