Thread: Jetman55's NYJets offseason plan

Jetman55's NYJets offseason plan

Jets Resignings
    Santonio Holmes- Keep both Holmes and Braylon is going to be tough.
    Brodney Pool- Played well enough during the season and especially in the playoffs to warant him coming back. He's young and athletic and wont cost too much.
    David Harris- Young Leader on our Defense. Cant pay him 10 mil per, but hopefully somewhere near 7-8 per.
    Wayne Hunter- Good Depth for Cheap
    Eric Smith- See Brodney Pool
    Antonio Cromartie- Just have to resign him, all this talk of Aso is just a pipe dream.
    Nick Folk- Despite the struggles i feel he will be much better if given another shot.
    Drew Coleman

Cut
    Damien Woody-Getting old and injured
    Kris Jenkins- See Woody
    Bryan Thomas- Can find betteroptions on the open market for cheaper
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    -wore down towards the tail end.
    Jason Taylor- Old
    Brad Smith- Going to be too much money for a specialty player.
    Tony Richardson- The Terminator has arrived
    Shaun Ellis- This was the hardest decision i had to make
    Steve Weatherford-
    Braylon Edwards

Free Agent Signings
    Jared Gaither OT Ravens- Need to lock down the right side after the loss of woody.
    Marcus Spears DE Cowboys- A good young replacement for the 3-4 DE, after loosing Ellis.
    Manny Lawson OLB 49ers. Perfect blend of speed and awareness for the 3-4.
    Antwan Barnes LB SD- Good young depth for cheap.
    Daniel Sepulveda P Steelers-

Draft
    Round 1. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
    Round 3. Noel Devine RB WestVirginia
    Round 4. Marcus Gilchrist S Clemson
    Round 5. Austin Petitis WR Boise State
    Round 6. Pernell Mcphee DE Mississippi State
    Round 7. Zach Hurd OG Connecticut

i like what your doing here but i cant help but feel like its a little bit of a pipe dream to sign all those FA's.

i personally think spears and lawson are going to command some decent money. There are better options out there to replace folk with, personally im matt prater fan if we can lore him away from denver would be a great fill in.

Also and i can be very off base, perhaps people with more knowledge in the subject than me can correct me, but i feel like your draft projection is wishful. im not sure some of those players are going to last to the bottom of the rounds you have us taking them.

If we could get that offseason i think id sign off on it thought, thats a really nice reload of talent coming in. The only thing that worries me about brining in that many FA's to fill holes is the amount of turnover again for the team. Id like for us to bring some familiarity and continuity on the team instead of waiting half the season for the new guys to "get it" and gel into the system.

I like the logic to keep Pool...I feel the same way...he's bigger and more athletic than we'll find if they're putting a value on experience at safety.

Dislike Spears as a player....he's solid but nowhere near the hype he came into the league with...for w/e reason that bothers me....I think Cofield on the Giants offers more against the pass...hell, Spears' teammates Bowen and Hatcher, have outplayed him a while now...Barnes is fast as heck, and has the potential to be a pass rusher type off the bench. He got 4.5 with San Diego as a DE last year and played for the Ravens at LB too...Lawson will probably get the best contract of all the linebackers on the market...if they lose Harris a big ILB signing could be Chad Greenway a big one, though he plays 4-3 OLB right now.

Draft is meh, though I'm getting re-introduced to Taylor with all this hype lately. He's got alot of talent, and big time size.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebetfan80 View Post
    i like what your doing here but i cant help but feel like its a little bit of a pipe dream to sign all those FA's.

i personally think spears and lawson are going to command some decent money. There are better options out there to replace folk with, personally im matt prater fan if we can lore him away from denver would be a great fill in.

Also and i can be very off base, perhaps people with more knowledge in the subject than me can correct me, but i feel like your draft projection is wishful. im not sure some of those players are going to last to the bottom of the rounds you have us taking them.

If we could get that offseason i think id sign off on it thought, thats a really nice reload of talent coming in. The only thing that worries me about brining in that many FA's to fill holes is the amount of turnover again for the team. Id like for us to bring some familiarity and continuity on the team instead of waiting half the season for the new guys to "get it" and gel into the system.
    Turnover is going to happen, its a matter of fact. The Jets have something like 17 FA's. We most likely can't sign all of the big 4 and whether we do or not there are a lot of older vets/role players that combined will be too costly. Younger, cheaper alternatives are necessary and if the Jets are lucky some fringe players/practice squad guys can become increased role players to help fill the void (Westerman, MTV, Brown, Dixon, Kroul, Pit, Mauga, Gilbert, etc. - these guys need to take huge strides forward so that the "get it" period decreases). Jets fortunately have a lot of young talent, but they are largely unproven and cannot, at this point, be counted on for major roles.

Your list of FA's are not as out of control as I've seen on this board and aren't completely unreasonable, although I doubt the Jets can even sign all of them given the opportunity. With that said, I like the direction.

Ellis will definitely be an area of contention over the next few months. He is getting older and needs replacing, but I would love the Jets to get him on a one year small value contract, however, I don't think Ellis would take such a deal. I think he still wants 4-5 million a year and the Jets just cannot afford that.
    Last edited by intothegreen; 01-27-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Why Manny Lawson? He averages 3 sacks a year. If that's the case then there is no reason to cut Bryan Thomas.

I don't think resigning Hunter is going to be cheap..There are alot of teams that need OL help.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesangleton View Post
    Why Manny Lawson? He averages 3 sacks a year. If that's the case then there is no reason to cut Bryan Thomas.
    Speed and coverage ability of Lawson is heads and tails above BT, Obivously lawson is much younger. The sacks will come in rex's system, lawson has the ability to get to the QB

Generally not a bad plan but id tweak it as such:

Dont resign David Harris instead sign D'Qwell Jackson - very good production and coming off an injury (first time) so would be cheaper.

Restructure Jenkins contract to make it incentive laden. Pouha and Jenkins will allow another year for teveasua to develop. Would considering adding another big body to the PS for development.

Draft Luiget as your rotational 3/4 DE. stout against the run and can penetrate to pressure QB. Him, Dixon, Gilbert could back up LDE and have a rotation at RDE.

No need for Gaithers if we resign Hunter. He performed well. has size and agility to handle RT or backup at LT.. Ducasse will be groomed for another yr and should be ready for next yr. I would draft Barksdale. as a tackle backup.

No to Noel Devine and yes to Dion Lewis from Pitt. Besides from being from pitt reminds me of a curtis martin type player. not just a 3rd down back that devine will be. greene, mcknight and lewis would be a very good RB core and at a reasonable price.

draft: Liuget, Barksdale, Lewis and a big body that falls thru the cracks that can be groomed on the PS for a yr to replace Jenkins.

With the pending FAs we need to be smart with our financial resources.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesangleton View Post
    1. His best sack seasons have all been recent.

2. There's more to playing defense than sacks. Terrell Suggs just had his first double digit sack season since '04....Lawson's one of the few guys in the league who can run with TEs and RBs...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I don't think resigning Hunter is going to be cheap..There are alot of teams that need OL help.
    $4 million/yr. Maybe more.

Woody going down was both a good and bad thing for the Jets. It showed us that Hunter may be a viable option going forward. But, it increased his value by giving teams some legit game film against top competition. If someone is looking for Oline help, he's a real candidate to start.

Rob Turner is a FA also, but my guess is that he re-signs. If Woody is healthy going into OTAs, I guess it comes down to who is a better candidate going forward - Hunter or Woody. With Turner and Ducasse probably on the squad, I doubt that both Hunter or Woody will be on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by JetMan55 View Post
    Jets Resignings
    Santonio Holmes- Keep both Holmes and Braylon is going to be tough.
    Brodney Pool- Played well enough during the season and especially in the playoffs to warant him coming back. He's young and athletic and wont cost too much.
    David Harris- Young Leader on our Defense. Cant pay him 10 mil per, but hopefully somewhere near 7-8 per.
    Wayne Hunter- Good Depth for Cheap
    Eric Smith- See Brodney Pool
    Antonio Cromartie- Just have to resign him, all this talk of Aso is just a pipe dream.
    Nick Folk- Despite the struggles i feel he will be much better if given another shot.
    Drew Coleman

Cut
    Damien Woody-Getting old and injured
    Kris Jenkins- See Woody
    Bryan Thomas- Can find betteroptions on the open market for cheaper
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    -wore down towards the tail end.
    Jason Taylor- Old
    Brad Smith- Going to be too much money for a specialty player.
    Tony Richardson- The Terminator has arrived
    Shaun Ellis- This was the hardest decision i had to make
    Steve Weatherford-
    Braylon Edwards

Free Agent Signings
    Jared Gaither OT Ravens- Need to lock down the right side after the loss of woody.
    Marcus Spears DE Cowboys- A good young replacement for the 3-4 DE, after loosing Ellis.
    Manny Lawson OLB 49ers. Perfect blend of speed and awareness for the 3-4.
    Antwan Barnes LB SD- Good young depth for cheap.
    Daniel Sepulveda P Steelers-

Draft
    Round 1. Phil Taylor NT Baylor
    Round 3. Noel Devine RB WestVirginia
    Round 4. Marcus Gilchrist S Clemson
    Round 5. Austin Petitis WR Boise State
    Round 6. Pernell Mcphee DE Mississippi State
    Round 7. Zach Hurd OG Connecticut
    Do you think the cap is going to be 150mill?

Holmes is going to cost 7 mill
    harris 7
    Cro 7
    add another 10 for the 10
    3 safeties and Hunter

Gaither, Spears and Lawson will cost at least 15 between the 3

I cant see Pettis lasting until the 160th pick in the draft.
    McPhee wont get out of the 4th never mind the 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    1. His best sack seasons have all been recent.

2. There's more to playing defense than sacks. Terrell Suggs just had his first double digit sack season since '04....Lawson's one of the few guys in the league who can run with TEs and RBs...
    Lawson's a very intriguing prospect to plug into Rex's D.

Quote Originally Posted by intothegreen View Post
    Turnover is going to happen, its a matter of fact. The Jets have something like 17 FA's. We most likely can't sign all of the big 4 and whether we do or not there are a lot of older vets/role players that combined will be too costly. Younger, cheaper alternatives are necessary and if the Jets are lucky some fringe players/practice squad guys can become increased role players to help fill the void (Westerman, MTV, Brown, Dixon, Kroul, Pit, Mauga, Gilbert, etc. - these guys need to take huge strides forward so that the "get it" period decreases). Jets fortunately have a lot of young talent, but they are largely unproven and cannot, at this point, be counted on for major roles.

Your list of FA's are not as out of control as I've seen on this board and aren't completely unreasonable, although I doubt the Jets can even sign all of them given the opportunity. With that said, I like the direction.

Ellis will definitely be an area of contention over the next few months. He is getting older and needs replacing, but I would love the Jets to get him on a one year small value contract, however, I don't think Ellis would take such a deal. I think he still wants 4-5 million a year and the Jets just cannot afford that.
    Agreed these young chaps need to seize the opportunity in front of them and answer the bell. We need more impact and contribution from the supposedly fringe players

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed these young chaps need to seize the opportunity in front of them and answer the bell. We need more impact and contribution from the supposedly fringe players
    As I said in a thread on the main forums, this is where the Jets strategy of going for high end quality over quantity over the last few years is going to bite them in the ass a bit. They have no good young WR, olb, DE to step into the lineup after being groomed. WR and olb are particularly huge black holes after our present starters. We can tout our UFA successes and grabbing former decent picks off of other teams proster but the fact is the Jets have let young depth slide to an extent. (I'm not against the Jets strat over the last few years but it does have a price and our front office doesn't give late round picks the respect they deserve as far as holding onto them.)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    As I said in a thread on the main forums, this is where the Jets strategy of going for high end quality over quantity over the last few years is going to bite them in the ass a bit. They have no good young WR, olb, DE to step into the lineup after being groomed. WR and olb are particularly huge black holes after our present starters. We can tout our UFA successes and grabbing former decent picks off of other teams proster but the fact is the Jets have let young depth slide to an extent. (I'm not against the Jets strat over the last few years but it does have a price and our front office doesn't give late round picks the respect they deserve as far as holding onto them.)
    Agreed - it would be nice if we had a young WR that we were grooming. If you look at the Stillers, it wasn't Wallace and Ward who hurt us, it was Sanders and Brown. We really need to pick up a WR in the 4th/5th round and develop him for the future as a #3 WR.