Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: My offseason Plan.....Thoughts?

  1. #1

    My offseason Plan.....Thoughts?

    Again the theme is we need to inject some youth and do it while being good stewarts of our financial resources in the near and long term.

    Here are the major moves:

    Sign: D'Qwell Jackson: Will come cheaper than Harris and has put up some very good stats. Better in coverage than Harris too.
    Namadi Ashmouga: with Revis will be the BEST CB tandem in the league.

    Resign: Wayne Hunter: Starting RT.. He has earned his stripes.
    Santonio Holmes: We cant sign both and this will the intended releases should save enough money for a splashy FA move.
    Drew Coleman: Played well down the stretch. Him with ashmouga, Revis, Cole and Wilson is a formidble grouping
    Brodney Pool: Pool, igheigo, smith and leonard are a good safety group.

    Restructure: Jenkins: incentive laden contract. His options are limited. Pouha, Jenkins will give time for tevseau to continue to develop.


    Release: BT. Will be replaced by Jamal Westerman. Frees up $ for ashmouga signing.
    Woody: Replaced by Hunter. Too old and heavy.
    LT: Going to draft a RB in mid rounds.
    Ellis: Going to get a contract that is too long and too much from another team.
    Harris: replaced by jackson for less monies.
    Brad smith: large contract from another team.

    Draft: 1. Corey Liuget: Ellis replacement. Bigger and younger. Holds up against the run and can penetrate to pressure QB. Pit, Dixon, Liuget, Gilbert and Devito are your DEs.
    3. Danny Watkins: OG - Baylor - He will go down as the best OG in this draft and would allow for future flexibility in regards to Moore and would immediately backup slauson and Moore and keep the ground and poound in effect for years. I am usually not a big believer of drafting OGs high but he is that good.
    4. Dion Lewis: RB - PITT - love this kid. falls due to size but collegiate production is there against big programs. Allows us to say good bye to LT. Mcknight, Greene and Lewis is a hell of a RB tandem.. cheap and young.
    5. Joseph Barksdale: OT - becomes the primary backup to hunter and indirectly dbrick
    6. Aldrick Robinson - WR great collegiate production 3000 + yds. a perfect slot/PR. similar to emmanul sanders of pittsburgh. allows brad smith to go.
    7. TJ Yates: QB - a developmental guy. Clemens goes and O Connell is nothing. Brunnel coaches we sign a cheap vet and develop Yates who could become a solid 2 QB in the NFL.

    Money is freed up by the releases/not signings, it doesnt put us in cap hell and adds youth to continue performing at a high level with no drop off. You could throw in a short contract to a TO, Chad Johnson or Plax for now 2


    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    The draft makes me sad, but the FAs are alot more realistic than most mocks...if only because there's just 2 of them.

  3. #3
    I love the dion lewis pick...any time you can find someone with huge production, who slips because of a 40 time, im all aboard.

    I dont see us taking 3Olineman, although finding a backup in the late rounds is a priority.

    I dont see any reason to pay Aso. We invested in kyle wilson...he struggled a lot this year, but he has to be given an opportunity to play.

    Would rather see us with Kiwi and cullen jenkins then aso.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Holmes, Cotchery, Greene, McKnight, Keller and unproven rookies is not good enough on offense. Sorry but we would struggle mightily on offense again.

    I HATE the idea of bringing in Asomugha. We pay a kings ransom for a guy who will not help our pass rush our ability to disrupt plays in the backfield. The idea of Liuget stepping in and just dominating up front is unrealistic. We gotta realize that we can have all pros at every secondary position and it wont matter when we cant dominate upfront.

    Look at Pittsburgh and their schitty cornerbacks. There are in the Super Bowl, again, with a ridiculously average CB group. None of their corners would start for us.

    Asomugha money should go right into the front seven. Nowhere else.

  5. #5
    I also agree with only taking one OLman in the draft. In the 3rd I'd rather target a Safety. Let Ducasse backup OG and RT. If Hunter is able to step up as the RT let Ducasse take over for Moore in the future.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Moore will only be 31 years old and has shown no signs of slowing down. He is in the prime of his career, especially playing guard...

  7. #7
    Watkins is 27 I believe... no more old draft picks please (see Pouha).

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    Again the theme is we need to inject some youth and do it while being good stewarts of our financial resources in the near and long term.

    Here are the major moves:

    Sign: D'Qwell Jackson: Will come cheaper than Harris and has put up some very good stats. Better in coverage than Harris too.
    Namadi Ashmouga: with Revis will be the BEST CB tandem in the league.

    Resign: Wayne Hunter: Starting RT.. He has earned his stripes.
    Santonio Holmes: We cant sign both and this will the intended releases should save enough money for a splashy FA move.
    Drew Coleman: Played well down the stretch. Him with ashmouga, Revis, Cole and Wilson is a formidble grouping
    Brodney Pool: Pool, igheigo, smith and leonard are a good safety group.

    Restructure: Jenkins: incentive laden contract. His options are limited. Pouha, Jenkins will give time for tevseau to continue to develop.


    Release: BT. Will be replaced by Jamal Westerman. Frees up $ for ashmouga signing.
    Woody: Replaced by Hunter. Too old and heavy.
    LT: Going to draft a RB in mid rounds.
    Ellis: Going to get a contract that is too long and too much from another team.
    Harris: replaced by jackson for less monies.
    Brad smith: large contract from another team.

    Draft: 1. Corey Liuget: Ellis replacement. Bigger and younger. Holds up against the run and can penetrate to pressure QB. Pit, Dixon, Liuget, Gilbert and Devito are your DEs.
    3. Danny Watkins: OG - Baylor - He will go down as the best OG in this draft and would allow for future flexibility in regards to Moore and would immediately backup slauson and Moore and keep the ground and poound in effect for years. I am usually not a big believer of drafting OGs high but he is that good.
    4. Dion Lewis: RB - PITT - love this kid. falls due to size but collegiate production is there against big programs. Allows us to say good bye to LT. Mcknight, Greene and Lewis is a hell of a RB tandem.. cheap and young.
    5. Joseph Barksdale: OT - becomes the primary backup to hunter and indirectly dbrick
    6. Aldrick Robinson - WR great collegiate production 3000 + yds. a perfect slot/PR. similar to emmanul sanders of pittsburgh. allows brad smith to go.
    7. TJ Yates: QB - a developmental guy. Clemens goes and O Connell is nothing. Brunnel coaches we sign a cheap vet and develop Yates who could become a solid 2 QB in the NFL.

    Money is freed up by the releases/not signings, it doesnt put us in cap hell and adds youth to continue performing at a high level with no drop off. You could throw in a short contract to a TO, Chad Johnson or Plax for now 2


    Thoughts?
    I seriously doubt N Asomugha becomes a Jet. I think the more likely scenario is the Jets get a Champ Bailey(revis and Champ are close and he might come at a reduced cost. (might roll the dice that he can win a championship)

  9. #9
    Again, What is Aso going to give you for 10 mill a year? Which is 80% of what Revis Makes.

    You letting Ellis and Jenkins go, why will Jenkins renegotiate down? IF he can pass a physical he will get a decent contract anywhere. If he can't pass a physical, why do the jets want him.

    I think your better of which Edwrards. Holmes is one strike away from having Cotch as your #1 again.

    Watkins will not last until the 92nd pick in the draft. I dont think he makes it out of the 2nd rd.

    Like the Barksdale and Lewis picks.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Holmes, Cotchery, Greene, McKnight, Keller and unproven rookies is not good enough on offense. Sorry but we would struggle mightily on offense again.

    I HATE the idea of bringing in Asomugha. We pay a kings ransom for a guy who will not help our pass rush our ability to disrupt plays in the backfield. The idea of Liuget stepping in and just dominating up front is unrealistic. We gotta realize that we can have all pros at every secondary position and it wont matter when we cant dominate upfront.

    Look at Pittsburgh and their schitty cornerbacks. There are in the Super Bowl, again, with a ridiculously average CB group. None of their corners would start for us.

    Asomugha money should go right into the front seven. Nowhere else.
    No need to get Aso thats just overkill. Ur right we definitley need more speed and impact in the front seven. We need to upgrade the passrush, stop doing the same thing and expecting different results

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Watkins is 27 I believe... no more old draft picks please (see Pouha).
    On the contrary Watkins is an excellent prospect and pickup if we can get him at that spot. OL players playing prime goes well into the 30's. I also disagree with the comment on Pouha, he has performed very well for the Jets and provided fine returns on the later round pick we gave up for him.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    On the contrary Watkins is an excellent prospect and pickup if we can get him at that spot. OL players playing prime goes well into the 30's. I also disagree with the comment on Pouha, he has performed very well for the Jets and provided fine returns on the later round pick we gave up for him.
    After his recent performance< Watkins is moving up on many draft boards according to profootballweekly.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    hoboken
    Posts
    6,369
    I don't get the obsession over Aso. Didn't this past season teach us anything? Even when Revis and Cro were playing lights out, teams were able to sit back and attack with slot WRs, TEs and RBs out of the backfield. The problem with our defense wasn't outside coverage- it was the lack of athleticism in our LBs where they didn't get pressure on the QB and weren't able to match up against even the slowest of TE.

  14. #14
    We still have the same problems as we have now with the scenario above. Still have depth issues on the D-line and still have no one at all that can rush the passer from the outside. One o-lineman maybe but not two and I'll be surprised if we take even one until late.

    One way or the other I want a pass rush, draft, FA, trade. I want someone the other team actually has to account for on any given down. (One really good pass rusher makes the whole secondary better.)

  15. #15
    wouldn't be a popular move, but if we could sign D'Quell Jackson for half of what Harris would make, I think it would be a great move. People are saying Harris will make $10 mil... that is insanity!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    wouldn't be a popular move, but if we could sign D'Quell Jackson for half of what Harris would make, I think it would be a great move. People are saying Harris will make $10 mil... that is insanity!
    Ive been suggesting that for weeks...AGREED

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us