Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Taylor is a beast and I think...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Phil Taylor is a beast and I think...

he's a legit first round talent, and if he isn't then you have idea of how deep this draft is at the DL position. This guy was absolutely crushing that middle all game long, sometimes they had three on him and he was still pushing the pocket back into the QB's face. Looks and moves more like a big Reggie White type DE than a NT, his instincts are those of a smaller guy and chases and pursues like one. We draft this guy with our number one and people will be complaiing that we reached, but I will have a nice warm feeling in my tummy.

Christian Ballard from the North stood out to me as did Cameron Jordan. Jeremy Beals has a very quick first step and will give a lot of tackles headaches at the next level.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really wanna hear more about this guy, if he is as good as advertised

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    he's a legit first round talent, and if he isn't then you have idea of how deep this draft is at the DL position. This guy was absolutely crushing that middle all game long, sometimes they had three on him and he was still pushing the pocket back into the QB's face. Looks and moves more like a big Reggie White type DE than a NT, his instincts are those of a smaller guy and chases and pursues like one. We draft this guy with our number one and people will be complaiing that we reached, but I will have a nice warm feeling in my tummy.

Christian Ballard from the North stood out to me as did Cameron Jordan. Jeremy Beals has a very quick first step and will give a lot of tackles headaches at the next level.
    What about Jarvis Jenkins? On the Sirius broadcast Kirwan said Jenkins was outplaying Jordan

Never seen these guys so asking...Is Phil Taylor Kris Jenkins like? If so, Jets need to get him. Period.

Jets need someone that can disrupt the middle and collapse the pocket on passing downs..It would then free up blitzing lanes for Rex's D. A must!!
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-30-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Drafttek.com ranks Phil Taylor as the fourth best 3-4 DT available, #145 overall on their big board.

From CBSsports.com:
    Pass rush: Though his job is usually not to provide primary pass rush, he can push the pocket with strength and flashes quickness off the snap and a swim move to get past lesser centers. Gives good effort to reach the quarterback if he sits in the pocket too long. Tries violent hands to shed blocks.

Run defense: Shows excellent strength and mobility as a run defender. Plays with leverage against double-teams and keeps his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage. Pushes back his man and spins off single and tandem blocks with balance to make the play. Moves down the line well, stays low despite his height to wrap up shorter backs. Willing and able to reach the sideline, takes deep angles to prevent huge runs. Defeats cut blocks and maintains balance to track down ball carriers. Gets low in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Does not dominate smaller centers. At his best when used in a rotation.

Explosion: Explodes from four-point stance into blockers, consistently getting push up front. Gets off low and quick near goal line to set the line backwards. Despite his size, flashes the quickness to penetrate the "A" gap. Requires double-teams to keep him out of the backfield.

Strength: Huge frame and upper-body development give him the strength to be a 3-4 nose tackle at the next level. Moves offensive linemen to either side with relative ease when covering two gaps. Forces fumbles with one hand punching at the ball while ball carrier comes through the hole. Uses leverage to hold the line against double teams.
    From draftinsider.net:

Analysis:

Phil Taylor DL Baylor Height - 6034 Weight 337 Arms 33 Hands 3/4

Monday Practice Notes: The massive interior defender ate up double-teams and clogged the middle of the line. He also displayed a very nice swim move while rushing the passer.

Tuesday Practice Notes: A bull in the middle of the line, Taylor gets good push and can move offensive linemen off their spot. He did need to recognize pressure more quickly and fight against it.

Wednesday Practice Notes: Taylor started the day by blowing up the first run play of practice. He then was washed down the line the next play. He was hard to handle in the middle, but his handplay is suspect.
    From Optimumscouting.com:
    (Wednesday notes): On the line, Jake Kirkpatrick really stood out to me. I saw him multiple times handle Phil Taylor and Jarvis Jenkins, two different style defensive tackle rushers. He and the North's Brandon Fusco are right in the mix for the Top 5 centers.

(Monday notes): Phil Taylor was garnering the most interest. The Broncos seem to be considering him for nose tackle, while the Saints were also paying close attention. He showed good hands with a passable swim move. His bull rush was very strong and he has the size and shape to become a force in the middle for years.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/...dt-phil-taylor

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Drafttek.com ranks Phil Taylor as the fourth best 3-4 DT available, #145 overall on their big board.

From CBSsports.com:
    Pass rush: Though his job is usually not to provide primary pass rush, he can push the pocket with strength and flashes quickness off the snap and a swim move to get past lesser centers. Gives good effort to reach the quarterback if he sits in the pocket too long. Tries violent hands to shed blocks.

Run defense: Shows excellent strength and mobility as a run defender. Plays with leverage against double-teams and keeps his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage. Pushes back his man and spins off single and tandem blocks with balance to make the play. Moves down the line well, stays low despite his height to wrap up shorter backs. Willing and able to reach the sideline, takes deep angles to prevent huge runs. Defeats cut blocks and maintains balance to track down ball carriers. Gets low in short-yardage and goal-line situations. Does not dominate smaller centers. At his best when used in a rotation.

Explosion: Explodes from four-point stance into blockers, consistently getting push up front. Gets off low and quick near goal line to set the line backwards. Despite his size, flashes the quickness to penetrate the "A" gap. Requires double-teams to keep him out of the backfield.

Strength: Huge frame and upper-body development give him the strength to be a 3-4 nose tackle at the next level. Moves offensive linemen to either side with relative ease when covering two gaps. Forces fumbles with one hand punching at the ball while ball carrier comes through the hole. Uses leverage to hold the line against double teams.
    From draftinsider.net:

Analysis:

Phil Taylor DL Baylor Height - 6034 Weight 337 Arms 33 Hands 3/4

Monday Practice Notes: The massive interior defender ate up double-teams and clogged the middle of the line. He also displayed a very nice swim move while rushing the passer.

Tuesday Practice Notes: A bull in the middle of the line, Taylor gets good push and can move offensive linemen off their spot. He did need to recognize pressure more quickly and fight against it.

Wednesday Practice Notes: Taylor started the day by blowing up the first run play of practice. He then was washed down the line the next play. He was hard to handle in the middle, but his handplay is suspect.
    From Optimumscouting.com:
    (Wednesday notes): On the line, Jake Kirkpatrick really stood out to me. I saw him multiple times handle Phil Taylor and Jarvis Jenkins, two different style defensive tackle rushers. He and the North's Brandon Fusco are right in the mix for the Top 5 centers.

(Monday notes): Phil Taylor was garnering the most interest. The Broncos seem to be considering him for nose tackle, while the Saints were also paying close attention. He showed good hands with a passable swim move. His bull rush was very strong and he has the size and shape to become a force in the middle for years.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/...dt-phil-taylor
    who did they have above him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    What about Jarvis Jenkins? On the Sirius broadcast Kirwan said Jenkins was outplaying Jordan

Never seen these guys so asking...Is Phil Taylor Kris Jenkins like? If so, Jets need to get him. Period.

Jets need someone that can disrupt the middle and collapse the pocket on passing downs..It would then free up blitzing lanes for Rex's D. A must!!
    I really do compare him to a young Kris Jenkins, also remember Jenks wasn't as dominant as he is now coming out of college. I really think Taylor has that kind of potential. Worst dilemma for me would be Heyward v. Taylor. I love both those guys, so that would be hell.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fua also looked very good in that game. He was pushing the o-line into the back field on just about every play I watched.

Yeah Beal has a quick 1st step, especially when the refs ignored him blatantly going offside.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read that while he played well in the practices, Beal is pretty limited athletically for the NFL. Great effort guy though...

I love the idea of Taylor, we need that penetrating-type NT very much for our defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I read that while he played well in the practices, Beal is pretty limited athletically for the NFL. Great effort guy though...
    They said the same thing about Lamarr Woodley.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

I love the idea of Taylor, we need that penetrating-type NT very much for our defense.
    He is the perfect DL for us b/c he can flip between 5-tech and NT. Probably the only thing he has up on Heyward in my mind.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    This Phil Taylor hype sounds a lot like the Linval Joseph hype of last year.

I don't care though. I'm down for any quality DL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Phil Taylor makes it to us at #30, we may have to take him.. I'm sure Rex Ryan can get the best out of him and keep him focus.. We could use a nice young NT to anchor our middle... They said he looks athletic as well, so maybe plug him at DE like Ngata and have Pouha play NT, you can move them all around..

But if he keeps rising he will probably won't be on the board since big bodies to play NT don't last long on draft day..

Pouha is 31 years old, going to be 32 this week... Getting a young NT would be big, especially since they don't usually dominate right away..

Its still early in the offseason, but any youth on the front 7 will be welcomed. big bodies in the middle helps free up the LBs which we don't really have..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Jarron Gilbert, too.

I hope Taylor is better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    If Phil Taylor makes it to us at #30, we may have to take him.. I'm sure Rex Ryan can get the best out of him and keep him focus.. We could use a nice young NT to anchor our middle... They said he looks athletic as well, so maybe plug him at DE like Ngata and have Pouha play NT, you can move them all around..

But if he keeps rising he will probably won't be on the board since big bodies to play NT don't last long on draft day..

Pouha is 31 years old, going to be 32 this week... Getting a young NT would be big, especially since they don't usually dominate right away..

Its still early in the offseason, but any youth on the front 7 will be welcomed. big bodies in the middle helps free up the LBs which we don't really have..
    If he were to get taken earlier than us that just means another quality DL will probably drop. There are only so many spots these guys can be taken. Let's not get to caught in the hype machine (it can be really easy during the predraft stuff). Guys like Heyward may go under the radar about now, but I'd be downright ecstatic with him at our spot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beal sucks... You can just forget about him amounting to anything. Not strong enough, certainly not fast enough. The only decent plays occurred when he was offsides.

Taylor is not a beast... But I still like him. He just doesn't have great strength right now. He's not going to be a very good player as a rookie imo. He needs to get some man strength and then he'll really show as something. Despite his size, he definitely gets pushed off the LOS at times. He's also not as technically sound with his hands to make up for it either.

Jarvis Jenkins was the strongest defensive lineman there... Just watch the game and focus on him and that much will be obvious. Jenkins relies too much on his strength which is amazing, but in the NFL, he's going to have to get better with his hands. Like most DL, he won't be great early on in that first year, but will definitely get it eventually.

Fua wasn't that good... He wasn't awful though and he definitely works for it. He had one nice play especially in the first half but it was more due to smarts than anything else. THe guard pulled in front of him and he got in there quick enough to blow up the play.

The good in terms of front 7 were definitely:

Jarvis Jenkins
    Jordan
    Von Miller
    Brooks Reed
    Kerrigan

Kerrigan and Reed are interesting in that I could see either guy busting, but also either guy turning into doubledigit sack guys. Kerrigan doesn't have that great edge speed which could really hurt him, and Reed isn't overly strong.

Ballard was only OK. High upside with him but he just doesn't hold up against the run well enough right now, especially when he's on the inside. His quickness and feel for getting in the backfield against the pass is enough to make you excited though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Jarron Gilbert, too.

I hope Taylor is better.
    Did either of these guys play in the senior bowl? This is part of the reason I am gettin more excited about Taylor. But for the record I have been high on him since last draft (like I was with Raji when I thought we could get him in the 2nd...), you can ask CBNY who I bugged a bunch about him lol.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont see alot of pass rush ability with Phil Taylor. He's basically a 2 down player. very good NT or 5 tech prospect but not a game changer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont see alot of pass rush ability with Phil Taylor. He's basically a 2 down player. very good NT or 5 tech prospect but not a game changer.
    Not a 5 Tech player... But like most nose tackles, yes, he cannot rush the passer.

But you don't need to rush the passer to be a game changer. Even before this season, Wilfork was a game changer, and he wasn't rushing the passer then.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phil Taylor is a "safety school" draft pick.

as far as Senior Bowl goes, there are guys the Jets will want to trade up for (but not have the ammo) like Jordan or Miller.

there are guys they hope fall but probably won't like Ballard, Heyward and Kerrrigan. Call this group "likely Patriots" if you like...

and then there's the guys who will definitely be at 30 but are probably 2nd round grades.

I see Phil Taylor as that kind of pick. We will talk about him alot in the coming months and he even could be the guy but they would rather have other prospects. Jeremy Beal is probably in that category as well.

It certainly could happen but personally I hope it works out another way than the 7th best DL or the 5th best OLB at 30.
    Last edited by bitonti; 01-30-2011 at 06:27 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Phil Taylor is like a safety school pick.

as far as Senior Bowl goes, there are guys the Jets will want to trade up for (but not have the ammo) like Jordan or Miller.

there are guys they hope fall but probably won't like Ballard, Heyward and Kerrrigan. Call this group "likely Patriots"

and then there's the safety picks. Guys who will definitely be at 30 but are probably 2nd round grades. I see Phil Taylor as a safety pick. We will talk about him alot in the coming months and he even could be the guy but they would rather have other prospects.
    I feel confident that the Jets FO won't reach on anyone just because they need to get younger on the front 7. They have stuck to their board the past few years and targeted players who they REALLY wanted.