Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Taylor is a beast and I think...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what game you all saw, but Taylor was as dominant as you can be playing that nose. Jenkins moves better, but he's 30 pounds lighter and wasn't tripled teamed on almost every play like Taylor. \

We'll see how he fares at the combine, I hope he runs under 5.2, and I think he will and that would be great for a guy so huge.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Not a 5 Tech player... But like most nose tackles, yes, he cannot rush the passer.

But you don't need to rush the passer to be a game changer. Even before this season, Wilfork was a game changer, and he wasn't rushing the passer then.
    I actually think he'd be able to kick out to 5-tech though it won't be his bread and butter. I agree in that I think it will take double team (occasional triple team IMHO if he can develop further) to keep him from getting into the backfield on any down. Is he a quick penetrating tackle that is constantly shooting upfield? No, but he uses his hands violently and can certainly smack around interior lineman, in turn collapsing the pocket when played 1 on 1.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    I don't know what game you all saw, but Taylor was as dominant as you can be playing that nose. Jenkins moves better, but he's 30 pounds lighter and wasn't tripled teamed on almost every play like Taylor. \

We'll see how he fares at the combine, I hope he runs under 5.2, and I think he will and that would be great for a guy so huge.
    No he wasn't... And I wouldn't even say Jenkins can move better. Jenkins is just stronger. Taylor is quite mobile though. You could get decent results there at his pro day or combine.

I think you have Taylor built up in your mind as something amazing, but he's not there right now. I could see a scenario where he becomes damn good in 3 years, but he's not strong enough right now. His rookie year will not be very good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Phil's weakness at the next level will be lack of strength. His build indicates otherwise. The combine beckons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think Phil's weakness at the next level will be lack of strength. His build indicates otherwise. The combine beckons.
    This thought process that weight = strength is just wrong... It helps, yes, but it's not everything.

Playing strength is playing strength. Either the offensive guys can move you or they can't. Taylor doesn't hold up at times. That was evident in the practices and in the game. Especially to a double team. You can double someone like Jarvis Jenkins though and he's going to hold up. Dunno why, considering Taylor is shorter and wider, but Jenkins is just stronger.

Now, I could see a scenario where Taylor gets his man strength as the years go by. Especially if he learns better technique, which he seems more than willing to do.

I do see a scenario of Taylor becoming a damn good player, but he's not that right now and he will make very little impact as a rookie.

Barring injury, I'm CERTAIN that Jarvis Jenkins will be a good player. Just too strong and too much want-to. They play different positions, but it's just a good example.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 01-31-2011 at 09:32 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thought process that weight = strength is just wrong... It helps, yes, but it's not everything.

Playing strength is playing strength. Either the offensive guys can move you or they can't. Taylor doesn't hold up at times. That was evident in the practices and in the game. Especially to a double team. You can double someone like Jarvis Jenkins though and he's going to hold up. Dunno why, considering Taylor is shorter and wider, but Jenkins is just stronger.

Now, I could see a scenario where Taylor gets his man strength as the years go by. Especially if he learns better technique, which he seems more than willing to do.

I do see a scenario of Taylor becoming a damn good player, but he's not that right now and he will make very little impact as a rookie.

Barring injury, I'm CERTAIN that Jarvis Jenkins will be a good player. Just too strong and too much want-to. They play different positions, but it's just a good example.
    it took pouha years to get his 'man strength', but now that he has it, he's pretty stout. not sure if these guys are worth 1st round picks, though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phil Taylor Scouting Report

Phil Taylor - Baylor (HT: 6-# - WT: 337)
    Combine 40: N/A - Pro Day 40: N/A - Position Rank: 11 of 55

Positives: Reasonably good quickness... Good first step... Violent hands... Strong lower body... Does a nice job shredding blockers... Very good strength at POA... Plays with good power... Gets a good push... Can bull his way into the backfield... Good swim move... Good closing speed... Good balance... Plays the run well... Can be unblockable in one-on-one situations... Can anchor... Space eater... Can be difficult to move... Occupies double teams... Good upside... Selected All-Big 12 second team for the 2010 season... Schematic versatility, fits as 3-4 NT, many Gabe Watson similarities.

Negatives: Marginal lateral mobility... Seems to struggle trying to maintain low pad level, plays a little too high at times... Rises almost instantly off the snap... Doesn't always keep his head up as he pushes into the backfield... Inconsistent... Not very instinctive... Lacks range... Doesn't always give a good effort... Not a hard worker... Conditioning issues, wears down late in games... Gets too heavy, has been as high as 385 lbs... Durability concerns, missed first nine games of 2007 season with knee injury... Dismissed from Penn St. with academic issues and for his involvement in an off-campus fight... Rebuilt draft stock following poor 2009 season (played through turf toe)... Still raw, a boom or bust type prospect.

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rank...l-taylor.shtml

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

agreed! How are you? Glad to see you here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    If Phil Taylor makes it to us at #30, we may have to take him.. I'm sure Rex Ryan can get the best out of him and keep him focus.. We could use a nice young NT to anchor our middle... They said he looks athletic as well, so maybe plug him at DE like Ngata and have Pouha play NT, you can move them all around..

But if he keeps rising he will probably won't be on the board since big bodies to play NT don't last long on draft day..

Pouha is 31 years old, going to be 32 this week... Getting a young NT would be big, especially since they don't usually dominate right away..

Its still early in the offseason, but any youth on the front 7 will be welcomed. big bodies in the middle helps free up the LBs which we don't really have..

Let's be real here, Phil Taylor is not some Jenkins/Wilfork-esque beast at NT. I'm not even totally convinced that he's better than Jerrell Powe as a prospect. Powe may be dumb as rocks, but he's a great anchor in the middle and football is his life. There's also a decent chance that he could still be on the board in the 3rd round.

If someone like Kerrigan, Heyward, or Ballard is on the board, there's no way I'm passing them over for Phil Taylor. I'd even be more inclined to take a guy like Muhammad Wilkerson or Brooks Reed at #30.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Let's be real here, Phil Taylor is not some Jenkins/Wilfork-esque beast at NT. I'm not even totally convinced that he's better than Jerrell Powe as a prospect. Powe may be dumb as rocks, but he's a great anchor in the middle and football is his life. There's also a decent chance that he could still be on the board in the 3rd round.

If someone like Kerrigan, Heyward, or Ballard is on the board, there's no way I'm passing them over for Phil Taylor. I'd even be more inclined to take a guy like Muhammad Wilkerson or Brooks Reed at #30.
    He's someone I still have to watch..

Big recommendation for anyone is to download games of these guys and then just watch them for yourself. Rewind, replay, fast forward through useless stuff and it is very efficient. Youtube has some stuff, but it can be very misleading to just see the highlights of any particular player. Watch a full game and you see what he's like play after play.

You learn to know what to throw out as pretty useless and figure out what skills will translate well to the NFL game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's someone I still have to watch..

Big recommendation for anyone is to download games of these guys and then just watch them for yourself. Rewind, replay, fast forward through useless stuff and it is very efficient. Youtube has some stuff, but it can be very misleading to just see the highlights of any particular player. Watch a full game and you see what he's like play after play.

You learn to know what to throw out as pretty useless and figure out what skills will translate well to the NFL game.
    Where do you download the games? I'd love to do that, but I also don't want to have 90 viruses on my computer either lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude not even Jenkins was known to be Jenkins when he was in the draft process. You think if teams knew he was such a beast that they would have let him drop to #44. I think the idea is that he MIGHT have the upside to be that good. He also might just end up being an adequate/average starter, but such is life at the bottom of the 1st round. Agreed on Heyward though, if he's there we should take him. If we could somehow get Heyward/Taylor, we could do nothing else the whole rest of the draft and I probably would still be pretty happy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Where do you download the games? I'd love to do that, but I also don't want to have 90 viruses on my computer either lol.
    www.tenyardtorrents.com

Create an account and take 10 minutes to go through their readme. Basically you download a torrent like UTorrent. Pick games and download them.

If you want to do it completely free then you need to pay attention to your ratio. Your ratio is what you download versus what you upload. The readme explains a lot of it so you definitely need to bring your attention. If you have any questions, I could answer them at this point.

This is my stupid hobby but I like it. Gets really interesting trying to predict which guys are going to translate to the NFL although I think you can get good at it. You can definitely get a great feel for the guys in the front 7 on defense and offensive line on offense. QB too. Unless you get coaches tape, it's tougher to get a great feel for the CB's and WR's. With those positions, I just pay extra attention to the senior bowl practices and combine to figure out if they have that level of athleticism. Dowloading the games in HD absolutely helps a lot though. Standard Def games were much tougher to see anything out of the corners or WR's going downfield.

And you definitely won't get any viruses doing it this way... Just need to be patient or willing to spend a couple bucks. It can be free if you do it the right way.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    www.tenyardtorrents.com

Create an account and take 10 minutes to go through their readme. Basically you download a torrent like UTorrent. Pick games and download them.

If you want to do it completely free then you need to pay attention to your ratio. Your ratio is what you download versus what you upload. The readme explains a lot of it so you definitely need to bring your attention. If you have any questions, I could answer them at this point.

This is my stupid hobby but I like it. Gets really interesting trying to predict which guys are going to translate to the NFL although I think you can get good at it. You can definitely get a great feel for the guys in the front 7 on defense and offensive line on offense. QB too. Unless you get coaches tape, it's tougher to get a great feel for the CB's and WR's. With those positions, I just pay extra attention to the senior bowl practices and combine to figure out if they have that level of athleticism. Dowloading the games in HD absolutely helps a lot though. Standard Def games were much tougher to see anything out of the corners or WR's going downfield.

And you definitely won't get any viruses doing it this way... Just need to be patient or willing to spend a couple bucks. It can be free if you do it the right way.
    Nice! Thanks been looking for a good source. Didn't have the time/resources to tivo every college game with an interesting prospect in it lol.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFLPA game measurements for Kenrick Ellis...6'5" 336 with 10" hands and 34 inch arms...man is a giant.

Now begins the process of him being known as >>> Phil Taylor.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    NFLPA game measurements for Kenrick Ellis...6'5" 336 with 10" hands and 34 inch arms...man is a giant.

Now begins the process of him being known as >>> Phil Taylor.
    Both him and Powe are in this Texas game....but with the DL depth in this draft are probably 4th (or after) round type guys, especially given their character red flags.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Kerrigan and Powe would be fine, I'd be cool with that

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Kerrigan and Powe would be fine, I'd be cool with that
    That would be pretty much ideal IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    agreed! How are you? Glad to see you here.

What's up KJ? Come by the addicts man!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i dont see alot of pass rush ability with Phil Taylor. He's basically a 2 down player. very good NT or 5 tech prospect but not a game changer.
    Which is something we absolutely need. Jets need depth at NT - someone to rotate with Pouha. Who knows, maybe he even develops into an upgrade eventually.