Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is Justin Houston

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How good is Justin Houston

I see around some mocks having us take him, some people say he compares with Terrell Suggs. Will he make it to us and is he a good player that would fit here??

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    vernon gholston II

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    vernon gholston II
    +1

Not as smart either, not that Gholston...w/e.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are making my first mock draft look pretty bad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Houston is a lot more agile and quick than Gholston is, and has better developed pass rush skills.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    Houston is a lot more agile and quick than Gholston is, and has better developed pass rush skills.
    Not sure that's true...he's an excellent athlete though, and probably a little more agile than Gholston.

Don't think he's a day 1 starter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Not sure that's true...he's an excellent athlete though, and probably a little more agile than Gholston.

Don't think he's a day 1 starter.
    All these Gholston comparisons got me nervous

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read about the Senior Bowl week practices, Allen Baiiey seems like a Gholston doppleganger.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't get the Gholston comparisons. Houston has played both with his hand in the ground and this year as a stand up 3-4 backer. He does not appear to be the athlete that that Gholston is either. He looks like he is a 4.75 guy. He has a quick jump but that is all that I seen. But i only seen him 4 or 5 times and only twice playing standing up.

I don't think he is a top 20 guy but in that 20-40 range. With Miller, Qinnn, and Aldon Smith ranked above him he could drop to 30 for the jets. Some teams may also have Beal ranked above him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't get the Gholston comparisons. Houston has played both with his hand in the ground and this year as a stand up 3-4 backer. He does not appear to be the athlete that that Gholston is either. He looks like he is a 4.75 guy. He has a quick jump but that is all that I seen. But i only seen him 4 or 5 times and only twice playing standing up.

I don't think he is a top 20 guy but in that 20-40 range. With Miller, Qinnn, and Aldon Smith ranked above him he could drop to 30 for the jets. Some teams may also have Beal ranked above him.
    simple....whenever he was asked to play in space he looked confused and had no clue what was going on....there's no doubt he will be there at 30 for the Jets and no doubt they say no thanks....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    From what I have read about the Senior Bowl week practices, Allen Baiiey seems like a Gholston doppleganger.
    apples and oranges....problem is the talent coming out of Miami is undeveloped and Shannon was an awful coach and it stretches before him (Sam Shields/Calias Campbell)....Bailey has definitely dropped but there's a lot there to like....its' not because of lack of effort- he ran down a RB from 30 yards on Wednesday- he has the talent it needs to be harvested...

ditto for Colin McCarthy and Marcus Van Dyke and even Len Hankerson to an extent....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    apples and oranges....problem is the talent coming out of Miami is undeveloped and Shannon was an awful coach and it stretches before him (Sam Shields/Calias Campbell)....Bailey has definitely dropped but there's a lot there to like....its' not because of lack of effort- he ran down a RB from 30 yards on Wednesday- he has the talent it needs to be harvested...

ditto for Colin McCarthy and Marcus Van Dyke and even Len Hankerson to an extent....
    So that's what the problem with Miami has been. I really wanted the Jets to pick up Shields last year because I knew he could be a fantastic return man, but I didn't see him playing as well as he has at CB, especially in his rookie year.

Where do you see Hankerson and Van Dyke going in the draft? I think both could be starters in the NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    So that's what the problem with Miami has been. I really wanted the Jets to pick up Shields last year because I knew he could be a fantastic return man, but I didn't see him playing as well as he has at CB, especially in his rookie year.

Where do you see Hankerson and Van Dyke going in the draft? I think both could be starters in the NFL.
    hankerson early second maybe late first if he gets into the low 4.4's at the combine....van dyke 3/4, though he's got pelican legs and some teams won't like that...

i really did not like van dyke coming into the season off the film but seeing him the last two weeks i said, "huh- not bad...not bad at all"..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    McCarthy looked good on specials and attacked the ball real well but he must not have a lot of speed. On way play in particular he was in chase mode and looked like he was going backwards compared to who he was running after.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    McCarthy looked good on specials and attacked the ball real well but he must not have a lot of speed. On way play in particular he was in chase mode and looked like he was going backwards compared to who he was running after.
    He's a smart guy and aggressive but I don't think he has the speed to play on a regular basis in the NFL (maybe just specials). He's stiff and slow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Been saying this one for a while too...

Bailey has definitely dropped but there's a lot there to like....its' not because of lack of effort- he ran down a RB from 30 yards on Wednesday-
    Vernon Gholston tackled Chris Johnson down the field to save a TD!

Gholston also played DE/LB in college, and it was a big part of how he was marketed. The amount of times I heard that this guy played the "elephant position" or something in college...I hope he's not as good an athlete because I'd really like to avoid drafting him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Allen Bailey isn't afraid of contact, so he has that going for him....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    just finished a boatload of UGA film and confirmed what i thought about Houston....recommendations if anyone has the availability...

UGA vs GT/UCF:

Houston primarily stood up over tackle as a 3-4 OLB and looked awful...hesitant, slow to react and worse yet- little to poor pursuit speed chasing the action...no skill in coverage and did not rush the passer well...

UGA vs UK:

Lined up in a three point stance and was unstoppable- numerous sacks, forced fumbles and created general mayhem..problem is he looks very small- short and thin compared to the o-linemen...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    just finished a boatload of UGA film and confirmed what i thought about Houston....recommendations if anyone has the availability...

UGA vs GT/UCF:

Houston primarily stood up over tackle as a 3-4 OLB and looked awful...hesitant, slow to react and worse yet- little to poor pursuit speed chasing the action...no skill in coverage and did not rush the passer well...

UGA vs UK:

Lined up in a three point stance and was unstoppable- numerous sacks, forced fumbles and created general mayhem..problem is he looks very small- short and thin compared to the o-linemen...
    Noticed this too...Really not a Houston fan...when's Jabaal Sheard going to get his 15 minutes of draft hype? Did he get it already and I missed it? Some of these guys do get it real early (Clayborn, Romeus)...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

UGA vs GT/UCF:

UGA vs UK:

I agree that he can't cover for ****. But when he puts his hand in the dirt, his explosion off the ball looks really, really good. Won't he at least be a pretty good pass rusher? I think he would be effective for a team like the Colts.