Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How good is Justin Houston

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I agree that he can't cover for ****. But when he puts his hand in the dirt, his explosion off the ball looks really, really good. Won't he at least be a pretty good pass rusher? I think he would be effective for a team like the Colts.
    He covers well enough, This is his first year playing 3-4 lb. Your not going to have him run 25 yds down field covering a TE. He has to get out in the flat and protect against screens. He is a pass rusher, you want a cover 3-4 backer pick Ayers

Q: How good is Justin Houston

A: Good enough that he doesn't get close to the 30th pick. He's got clean medicals unlike Quinn, Bowers and Clayborn. He's got insane workout numbers (better than almost all DE) and production in the SEC. Plus he fits both defenses.

So don't worry about Justin Houston he will be long gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I agree that he can't cover for ****. But when he puts his hand in the dirt, his explosion off the ball looks really, really good. Won't he at least be a pretty good pass rusher? I think he would be effective for a team like the Colts.
    there's always some workout warrior the forum gods fall in love with based on computer numbers or youtube videos versus actual play on the field and make assinine predictions about....last year it was taylor mays....say hello to justin houton....

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    there's always some workout warrior the forum gods fall in love with based on computer numbers or youtube videos versus actual play on the field and make assinine predictions about....last year it was taylor mays....say hello to justin houton....
    Could be. I only saw him once this year, against UL-LAF, so I can't claim that I know all that much about him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Could be. I only saw him once this year, against UL-LAF, so I can't claim that I know all that much about him.
    i watched him a ton...and while everyone wants to talk about his great combine numbers what they don't talk about is his skill session- probably because they did not see it...the guy constantly had to be stopped in the middle of the drills and the instructions of the drill had to be re-explained to him....not a good sign...

as stated in another thread- half his sacks came in two games and i never really remember him registering a sack when he stood up over tackle...it may have happened but it does not stand out...

He popped off the screen first time I really noticed him - 09 sugar bowl? Versus hawaii.

I know - hawaii...still....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Q: How good is Justin Houston

A: Good enough that he doesn't get close to the 30th pick. He's got clean medicals unlike Quinn, Bowers and Clayborn. He's got insane workout numbers (better than almost all DE) and production in the SEC. Plus he fits both defenses.

So don't worry about Justin Houston he will be long gone.
    Dude, will anyone be left for us to pick.....you think every player will be gone...lol

Yeah...plays a little too light in the loafers for me. Gholston at least knocked the **** out of some people in college. He (Houston) seems to have a much quicker first step though. Much more athletic on the field where Gholston seems to just use his brute strength to blow up plays. Hard to tell as he just blew past OT's with sacks in college. Doubt if he'll be able to do that in the pros but he is quick as **** for his size. Crazy the size:speed ratios on these guys nowadays.
    Last edited by HessStation; 03-20-2011 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Dude, will anyone be left for us to pick.....you think every player will be gone...lol
    it's tough but fair... here we are about 40 days out, who do I think makes it to the Jets at 30:

99% not a chance to fall:
    I dont think Aldon Smith, Cam Jordan, JJ Watt make it there.

75% not likely to fall:
    Ryan Kerrigan could fall there, not likely but possible. slight chance
    Robert Quinn could be there cause his medicals are a nightmare.
    only 1 out of Cameron Heyward, Christian Ballard, Muhammed Wilkerson makes it down... Justin Houston his workouts were awesome and he's a clean prospect.

50% coin flips:
    Brooks Reed could be there... 50/50 at this point. Martez Wilson I think is 50/50 as well. neither pick would be surprising.

25% very realistic names:

Adrian Clayborn will be there and they would have to think long and hard about that name.

Phil Taylor will be there and also last another 20 or 30 slots into round 2.

Leonard Hankerson or Jimmy Smith could be value, if they want to go in a different direction. Brandon Harris will probably get picked close to this 30 spot.

the key to Jets fans is if alot of QBs go (5 in round 1) that helps the DE market.

but if 14 DL have gone it could make sense they go after the 3rd CB or LB instead of the 15th DL

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it's tough but fair... here we are about 40 days out, who do I think makes it to the Jets at 30:

99% not a chance to fall:
    I dont think Aldon Smith, Cam Jordan, JJ Watt make it there.

75% not likely to fall:
    Ryan Kerrigan could fall there, not likely but possible. slight chance
    Robert Quinn could be there cause his medicals are a nightmare.
    only 1 out of Cameron Heyward, Christian Ballard, Muhammed Wilkerson makes it down... Justin Houston his workouts were awesome and he's a clean prospect.

50% coin flips:
    Brooks Reed could be there... 50/50 at this point. Martez Wilson I think is 50/50 as well. neither pick would be surprising.

25% very realistic names:

Adrian Clayborn will be there and they would have to think long and hard about that name.

Phil Taylor will be there and also last another 20 or 30 slots into round 2.

Leonard Hankerson or Jimmy Smith could be value, if they want to go in a different direction. Brandon Harris will probably get picked close to this 30 spot.

the key to Jets fans is if alot of QBs go (5 in round 1) that helps the DE market.

but if 14 DL have gone it could make sense they go after the 3rd CB or LB instead of the 15th DL
    Interesting you think Ballard is possibly gone before Clayborn? And man if Robert Quinn ever fell to 30...

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Interesting you think Ballard is possibly gone before Clayborn? And man if Robert Quinn ever fell to 30...
    The fact that he still has that tumor in his head and it was never actually removed could drop him. A very worrisome medical issue long term, but I am not an FO so maybe I am looking at this too "medically" and not they way GMs see it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    The fact that he still has that tumor in his head and it was never actually removed could drop him. A very worrisome medical issue long term, but I am not an FO so maybe I am looking at this too "medically" and not they way GMs see it.
    Understood, as I'm not a doctor it's hard to comment on. Just saying though, if you see his name at 30...man would that be tough to pass up. For his sake I hope he is somehow cleared before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Understood, as I'm not a doctor it's hard to comment on. Just saying though, if you see his name at 30...man would that be tough to pass up. For his sake I hope he is somehow cleared before the draft.
    Me too man. I think at that spot he'd be a bargain despite the risk, it's a shame that tumor is still in there. Certainly a risk for the guy's health too.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Houston looked very uncomfortable in linebacker drills at UGA mpro-day today- i'll say again, one gap pass rushing DE the Jets best stay clear of...

Kris Durham/WR looked outstanding...6-5/217/4.43 and caught everything...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

btw- a good late round 3-4/OLB sleeper??? Justin Trattou/Floirda...

just made ganggreeninsiders day...

All Pro
    Kris Durham/WR looked outstanding...6-5/217/4.43 and caught everything...
    I'm not right very often, but when I am... it feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Kris Durham (6'5" 215) of Georgia reminds me of Malcolm Floyd, aside from the white/black thing. He was overshadowed by the best WR in the country, but he can play. Good long speed, great ball skills, jumps well, pure hands catcher, tough. Isn't very shifty, but not many guys 6'5"+ are.

Who else is out there to consider in the 6th/7th?

Ex-Bosco star Justin Trattou preps for NFL draft
    Thursday, February 24, 2011
    BY VINNY DITRANI
    The Record
    STAFF WRITER

FAIR LAWN ó It was off-season business as usual at Parisi Speed School, with NFL hopefuls preparing themselves for a look-over at the NFL combine or at their schoolís Pro Day.

DE Justin Trattou, who starred at Don Bosco and Florida,said he will not worry about the potential NFL work stoppage.

However, there is more uncertainty than normal with the current group of prospects. Itís not just when they will be selected, if selected at all, in Aprilís NFL draft. And not just which teams will add them to their rosters.

Thereís the added uneasiness as to what will happen after the draft, the last thing mandated by the current Collective Bargaining Agreement, which is set to expire one minute before midnight on March 3. Will there be anywhere for these players to report? Or will there be the anticipated lockout by NFL owners?

"Personally, thatís like the last thing on my mind," said defensive end Justin Trattou of Franklin Lakes, one of Floridaís defensive captains last year. "I donít have any control over any of that. All I can do is keep working my hardest so when all the smoke settles, Iíll be in the best position I possibly can.

"Itís definitely an interesting concept, it the first time in quite awhile since itís happened. But all I can do is keep myself in good shape and take advice from my agent, and go from there."

Trattou is coming off a good East-West Shrine Bowl appearance, but is not attending the NFL combine, which is under way in Indianapolis. His next chance to impress the NFL scouts will come at next monthís Florida Pro Day in Gainesville.

"I was one of the last people invited to the Shrine Bowl, and I went down there [Orlando] and did the best of any of the defensive ends there," said the Don Bosco product, who had four tackles, two for losses and a sack for Dan Reevesí East team in a 25-8 win over Wade Phillipsí West squad.

"Obviously Iím going to do the best with the opportunities given to me. The next one is Pro Day and Iím going to tear that up. Thatís all I can control."

In 31 starts over four seasons at Florida, Trattou accumulated 121 tackles (26 for losses) and 8 1/2 sacks. He had 57 tackles (12 behind the line of scrimmage) and two sacks last year, when he also returned an interception 35 yards for a touchdown against South Florida. Still, his tweener size of 6 feet 4, 255 pounds is one reason he is not listed high on most draft boards.

"Thatís a big thing," said Trattou, who sees himself as a 3-4 outside linebacker or a 4-3 rush end in the NFL. "But thereís a stigma about me that Iím not fast or athletic. But once they come to Pro Day and see me run around theyíll see thatís not true."

If Trattou is drafted and there is no deal, he may not get to report to his team until the summer. He and all other draftees might miss the spring orientation period usually provided to the newcomers. If heís not drafted, he may be placed in limbo until a deal is reached.

Right now, the draft is the final act of the current CBA. The usual wealth of free agent signings at its conclusion will not be permitted, although there is talk the two sides might reach a side agreement to allow a short signing period for undrafted free agents.

"Itís a tough situation," said Brian Mackler, Trattouís agent who will be involved in a meeting with other agents and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith at the combine. "Weíve already had a conference call and weíre trying to put a formula together on how weíre going to prepare these guys for what I believe will be a lockout."

Trattou probably would continue to train at Parisiís, which could become a very busy place with veterans and rookies looking to stay in shape. For example, physical therapist Martin Rooney, who runs the pre-draft program, could be asked by teams to continue rehab programs for players coming off injuries.

What happens to a rookie like Trattou is pretty much uncharted at this point.

"Itís zero any of us can do, I canít let it affect me," said the SEC All-Academic choice with a major in sports management. "I just canít understand why they want to change something thatís working so well."

Unfortunately, the two sides have chosen his rookie season as the one to investigate the change. "What are the odds?" asked Trattou.

"Since I was a young kid I dreamed of playing college football at a big-time school and then go play in the NFL. So far Iím following my dream."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pr...eparation.html

Good call, CBNY

Bottom line: Trattou is an end/linebacker 'tweener who is at his best going forward and defeating blockers in the open field. He lacks explosiveness as a pass rusher to play end in a 4-3 scheme, but his athleticism, instincts and competitiveness could make him a late-round option for teams that play power 3-4 schemes like San Diego and Pittsburgh. He will have to earn a roster spot on special teams while developing the skills to play off the ball on defense. ó Russ Lande, War Room scouts For more than 300 player scouting reports from Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scoutsóplus updated Mock Draft, Super 99 rankings and moreógo to warroom.sportingnews.com

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed...#ixzz1HLz2B9hb

Houston is still cleaner than Clayborn and Quinn... heck maybe even cleaner than bowers. He might not fit the 3-4 but there's alot of 4-3 teams that need a guy as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

saw this and it made me laugh....

Georgia DE/OLB Justin Houston ran a 4.57 forty at the Bulldogs' Pro Day Tuesday morning. Houston weighed in at 6'3/267, just three pounds down from the Combine after running an "official" 4.68 in Indianapolis. Also owning a 1.62 ten-yard split, Houston is perhaps the most naturally explosive pass rusher available for April's draft. NFL Network's Mike Mayock has questioned his motor, however, and CBS Sports' Chad Reuter likened Houston to Vernon Gholston. Mar. 22 - 11:42 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...=202052&spln=1