Thread: Not much to work with. Rounds 2 & 3 will be key

Not much to work with. Rounds 2 & 3 will be key

Let's face it the Cromartie deal jammed us up in terms of barganing power (barring some Tannenbaum magic with player trades). Lets assume we trade out of the first round and end up with a pick in the range between 33 & 40. By using the Draft Chart value below that would also give us an extra third (Somewhere around 92-96). I think the only logical thing to do is trade back up to the early third/late second. Of course we would have to use the rest of our draft picks.

If conventional wisdom is correct we will be addressing the front 7 in the draft. OLB, DE & DT are the pressing needs. It looks as if we will only have 2or 3 draft picks to choose from this year. Round 2-3 would give us players such as Jeremy Beal, Christian Ballard, Phil Taylor, Jarvis Jenkins, Sam Acho, Kenrick Ellis & Brooks Reed to name a few. By looking at these choices I wouldn't mind if we go jeremy Beal in the second and Jarvis Jenkins late second or early third. Or Maybe Phil Taylor early second and Brooks Reed late Second/Early third. Again not much to work with. Thoughts??

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

It looks as if we will only have 2or 3 draft picks to choose from this year.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by the above statement. My thoughts on trading back? Wait until we are almost on the clock, if one of the top DE/olb prospects is still on the board for some reason make the pick otherwise do as you suggest and trade back.

I wouldn't mind even finding a sucker like the Pats often do and trade our 1st this year for a 1st next year plus something else.

All Pro
    I know the front 7 needs to be upgraded and injected with youth, but I don't know if the draft is the best place to do that.

The Jets need those guys to contribute RIGHT AWAY and that isn't likely to happen with a 30th overall and a 3rd rounder.

1 solid FA signing like Wimbley or Kiwi could change the entire complexion of this D for the better.

Trading back would be a smart idea to fill the many holes that are sure to remain after FAs walk.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I know the front 7 needs to be upgraded and injected with youth, but I don't know if the draft is the best place to do that.

The Jets need those guys to contribute RIGHT AWAY and that isn't likely to happen with a 30th overall and a 3rd rounder.

1 solid FA signing like Wimbley or Kiwi could change the entire complexion of this D for the better.

Trading back would be a smart idea to fill the many holes that are sure to remain after FAs walk.
    Free agents for today, draft picks for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Free agents for today, draft picks for tomorrow.
    Wimbley or Kiwi would be fine, and pick up Kerrigan in the draft would be a good platform

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

If it was up to me, I'd use the draft and free agency to upgrade the front seven. It's by far the weakest and most over the hill part of the team.

I'd love to pick up a guy like Barry Cofield or Atyba Rubin through free agency to add to the DL. Same thing goes for a passrushing OLB like Wimbley or Kiwanuka.

But just because we add a DE or OLB (or both) through free agency doesn't mean we shouldn't regard the position highly in the draft. If we signed someone like Cofield, I'd still love to take a guy like Ballard or Wilkerson at #30. Same thing if we signed an OLB like Wimbley or Kiwi, I'd still have no objections taking a guy like Kerrigan, Houston, or Reed in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If it was up to me, I'd use the draft and free agency to upgrade the front seven. It's by far the weakest and most over the hill part of the team.

I'd love to pick up a guy like Barry Cofield or Atyba Rubin through free agency to add to the DL. Same thing goes for a passrushing OLB like Wimbley or Kiwanuka.

But just because we add a DE or OLB (or both) through free agency doesn't mean we shouldn't regard the position highly in the draft. If we signed someone like Cofield, I'd still love to take a guy like Ballard or Wilkerson at #30. Same thing if we signed an OLB like Wimbley or Kiwi, I'd still have no objections taking a guy like Kerrigan, Houston, or Reed in the 1st round.
    This sounds like a good plan. Time for you to work your cap magic Tanny!!