Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Rand Paul: End All Foreign Aid

Sen. Rand Paul: End All Foreign Aid

I see more of this coming from the new congress!!!!!

[QUOTE]Tea Party favorite and freshman Senator Rand Paul (R-Ky.) may have crossed a "third rail" of politics by suggesting that the federal government zero out all foreign aid — including even foreign aid to Israel, America's largest foreign aid recipient over the past 30 years.

Various Israeli-lobby outlets have condemned his proposal. New York City's The Jewish Week called it a "toxic mix." The Republican Jewish Coalition rejected the proposal as "misguided." The Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin labeled Dr. Rand Paul's remarks "neo-isolationism" and said they would be "widely condemned."

The Kentucky Senator and eye surgeon began the controversy with a statement on CNN's The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer on January 26:

BLITZER: What about the $2 billion or $3 billion that goes every year to Israel? Do you want to eliminate that as well?

PAUL: Well, I think what you have to do is you have to look. When you send foreign aid, you actually send quite a bit to Israel's enemies. Islamic nations around Israel get quite a bit of foreign aid, too.

BLITZER: Egypt gets almost the same amount?

PAUL: Almost the same amount, so really you have to ask yourself, are we funding an arms race on both sides? I have a lot of sympathy and respect for Israel as a democratic nation, as a, you know, a fountain of peace and a fountain of democracy within the Middle East.

But at the same time, I don't [believe in] funding both sides of the arms race, particularly when we have to borrow the money from China to send it to someone else. We just can't do it anymore. The debt is all consuming and it threatens our well being as a country.

BLITZER: All right, so just to be precise, end all foreign aid including the foreign aid to Israel as well. Is that right?

PAUL: Yes.

[B][COLOR="Red"]Rand Paul apparently has the American people on his side, as he noted in his interview with Blitzer that "Reuters did a poll — 71 percent of American people agree with me that when we're short of money, where we can't do the things we need to do in our country, we certainly shouldn't be shipping the money overseas." Actually, Paul slightly underestimated the opposition to foreign aid giveaways. The Reuters poll revealed that 73 percent of the American people want to eliminate foreign aid.[/COLOR][/B]

Democrats also reacted against Sen. Paul's statement. House Appropriations Committee Ranking Democrat Nita Lowey issued a press release claiming, "It is shocking that Senator Paul wants our nation to renege on our commitment to a vital ally, which is necessary to assure Israel’s continued qualitative military advantage in a dangerous region."

But does U.S. foreign aid enhance Israel's military advantage when the aid is given not only to Israel but to regimes antagonistic to Israel that collectively receive more foreign aid than Israel does? Or when foreign aid is used as a club to try to influence Israeli policies as well as the policies of other governments? Regarding the latter question, neo-conservative David Frum, — a fervent supporter of foreign aid to Israel — candidly admitted that this is the very point of foreign aid on his blog after Senator Paul's pronouncement:

The point of foreign aid is not economics; it is geopolitics: It is intended to shape a recipient country’s behavior and, quite literally, buy American influence. And it does just that. The last thing we should do then is to eliminate all foreign aid out of a myopic and shortsighted desire to save money and reduce the deficit.

If Israel were only America's ally because we give them a $3 billion handout every year, then it would not be a true friend. The reality is almost the opposite: Foreign aid is given out for the purpose of controlling Israel rather than enriching it. Eliminating all foreign aid would not only eliminate the greater subsidies to Israel's enemies, it would free Israel to act in accordance with its own national interests.

Frum continues to contend that the nearly $30 billion in aid to the Mubarak regime over the past 30 years will increase the U.S. role as a power-broker just as the Egyptian people are about to throw off the corrupt regime. "At least now," he claims, "in large part because of our aid to that country, we can shape and influence Egyptian public policy and behavior. Just imagine if we lacked this carrot how much less influence we would have there."

What nearly $30 billion in American aid to Egypt has purchased over the past three decades has been a tyranny that — according to classified U.S. diplomatic cables — engages in "routine and pervasive" torture and police brutality and a dictatorship that the Oval Office continues to defend even as the Egyptian regime is dissolving. Clearly, the U.S. has bought influence in the Mubarak regime, but that regime has become highly unpopular with the Egyptian people and stands poised to be no longer a factor politically.

The practical political success of Senator Rand Paul's proposal to eliminate foreign aid remains questionable. James Besser wrote in New York's Jewish Week that he was counting on massive pro-Israel campaign contributions to keep congressmen bought: "With both parties courting pro-Israel campaign givers in advance of the 2012 elections, I'm guessing the likelihood of any big reduction [in foreign aid to Israel] this year or next isn't high."

Besser may be correct about the opposition to foreign aid cuts being bought off with campaign donations. Even the "conservative" Republican Study Committee of the House of Representatives has failed to call for cutting any aid to Israel. The RSC released a budget proposal January 26 calling for cuts in foreign aid across the board, including ending $250 million in economic assistance to Egypt (the second-largest recipient), but no cut for Israel's $3 billion annual allotment.[/QUOTE]

So are you a tea partier, JD?

[QUOTE=pauliec;3945351]So are you a tea partier, JD?[/QUOTE]
    No. I do think that we should end foreign aid in these time of cutting money to Americans.
    America First!!!!

Veteran
    [IMG]http://vh1.mtvnimages.com/sitewide/promoimages/shows/y/youre_cut_off/logo/610x360.jpg?height=289&width=490&quality=0.9[/IMG]

All League
    Just to set where I'm coming from on this. - I consider myself a rational conservative. Non religious, Pro Free Market, could care less about gay rights or what people do in their bedrooms, believe the constitution says what it means and means what it says, and I think we have gone overboard on PC crap.

Some of the "tea party" stuff I think is a bit much, some I agree with...and I can't stand either Nancy Pelosi OR Sarah Palin.

All that being said, I agree with Paul on this one 100%. We have bridges collapsing and roads in disrepair...we have cities laying off Cops and FIrefighters, we have a population of Mentally Ill people roaming the streets (you call them "homeless"), and we're giving BILLIONS to places and nations around the world that celebrate our deaths and our failures.

We pay BILLIONS to places like Egypt and Jordan in BRIBE MONEY to keep them from attacking Israel, and on the other hand we give BILLIONS to Israel to equip and arm them. I thought the Israelis were the tough resilient people who fought off the entire Arab World with 50 year old tanks and a bunch of vintage aircraft. Why do they need OUR money?

We give BILLIONS in aid to that cesspool of corruption and evil that is Africa. We dump BILLIONS into the cesspool of corruption that is Pakistan, our "ally" in the war on Terror.

BILLIONS in dollars BORROWED from China. Are you frakkin' kidding me?

The war in Iraq is over. We won. Time to leave. The war in Afganistan is pointless. Drug cartels took the place of the Taliban. YOu can give the people of that backward region the opportunity for freedom and enlightenment, but if the goatherders would prefer to live in stone age conditions betwee warring factions while subjugating their women and stoning "infidels", well, good for them. Time to go.

Meanwhile, there is a nation a few hundred nautical miles away from our shores that tis teetering on the brink, and without an infusion of aid and order, the ENTIRE population of Haiti will be living in South Florida within the next 5 years.

Time to say no more. Keep the money home, bring the guys home, rest, reorganize, and reequip our Armed Forces, and invest in ourselves.

And while we're at it, lets cut entitlements, go back o the gold standard, and liquidate our "Debt" to China. We'll call it even for bailing them out in the 1940s.

Foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget. And less than half of it goes to poor countries. The largest recipients are strategic allies (Israel, Egypt [for now], Pakistan, Russia, ect)

With that said. I would not mind if this money went to infrastructure here in the us. To fix crumbling roads and bridges and even high speed rail.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-30-2011 at 11:02 PM.

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3945362]Just to set where I'm coming from on this. - I consider myself a rational conservative. Non religious, Pro Free Market, could care less about gay rights or what people do in their bedrooms, believe the constitution says what it means and means what it says, and I think we have gone overboard on PC crap.

Some of the "tea party" stuff I think is a bit much, some I agree with...and I can't stand either Nancy Pelosi OR Sarah Palin.

All that being said, I agree with Paul on this one 100%. We have bridges collapsing and roads in disrepair...we have cities laying off Cops and FIrefighters, we have a population of Mentally Ill people roaming the streets (you call them "homeless"), and we're giving BILLIONS to places and nations around the world that celebrate our deaths and our failures.

We pay BILLIONS to places like Egypt and Jordan in BRIBE MONEY to keep them from attacking Israel, and on the other hand we give BILLIONS to Israel to equip and arm them. I thought the Israelis were the tough resilient people who fought off the entire Arab World with 50 year old tanks and a bunch of vintage aircraft. Why do they need OUR money?

We give BILLIONS in aid to that cesspool of corruption and evil that is Africa. We dump BILLIONS into the cesspool of corruption that is Pakistan, our "ally" in the war on Terror.

The war in Iraq is over. We won. Time to leave. The war in Afganistan is pointless. Drug cartels took the place of the Taliban. YOu can give the people of that backward region the opportunity for freedom and enlightenment, but if the goatherders would prefer to live in stone age conditions betwee warring factions while subjugating their women and stoning "infidels", well, good for them. Time to go.

Meanwhile, there is a nation a few hundred nautical miles away from our shores that tis teetering on the brink, and without an infusion of aid and order, the ENTIRE population of Haiti will be living in South Florida within the next 5 years.

Time to say no more. Keep the money home, bring the guys home, rest, reorganize, and reequip our Armed Forces, and invest in ourselves.

And while we're at it, lets cut entitlements, go back o the gold standard, and liquidate our "Debt" to China. We'll call it even for bailing them out in the 1940s.[/QUOTE]

Good post.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-30-2011 at 11:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3945369]Foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget. And less than half of it goes to poor countries. The largest recipients are strategic allies (Israel, Egypt [for now], Pakistan, Russia, ect)

With that said. I would not mind if this money went to infrastructure here in the us. To fix crumbling roads and bridges and even high speed rail.[/QUOTE]
    So are earmarks, but they are announced as cut. Furthermore, most earmarks go to congressional home districts (Americans).

We cannot continue to borrow from China to give to other nations. That is a disastrous policy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3945362]Just to set where I'm coming from on this. - I consider myself a rational conservative. Non religious, Pro Free Market, could care less about gay rights or what people do in their bedrooms, believe the constitution says what it means and means what it says, and I think we have gone overboard on PC crap.

And while we're at it, lets cut entitlements, go back o the gold standard, and liquidate our "Debt" to China. We'll call it even for bailing them out in the 1940s.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

Jets Insider VIP

Great Post JE1! Couldn't agree more with you. Time for us to knock of the crap....the "nation building", the ridiculous idea of "spreading democracy". Who gives a crap what people's lives are like in other countries. I certainly
    couldn't care less about poor poor oppressed people in other countries. Don't like it? Overthrow your tyrannical leaders like we did.

It's time for our leaders to have the same "compassion" for people in their own f*cking country before people from other countries.

Dear Congress. EAD. :P

WHY do we borrow so much?

Is it due to the free markets ?

This country's entitlements create this deficit. You don't see it in the pie charts, they hide it under terms like defense spending etc... BUT the government waste in this country caused by so many inefficiencies is well above foreign aid.

We spend BILLIONS in areas right here that are not needed or so inefficient. Post office, Department of Energy, Department of Education...ALL are HUGE failures and the leaders call for more spending.:rolleyes:

Wait until we have to bailout the states....... There is NO FREE MARKET in government.

As stated elsewhere, I fully support an immediate end to U.S. Millitary involvement outside our borders (ending both Wars, and bringing hom all millitary from Germany, Korea, and every damn other place we have no real role any longer).

And along with that, a total and complete defunding on the United Nations. If teh world wants it, host it in Europe, and make it ruly a United Nations product, everyone pays for it.

And yes, and end to ALL foreign aid, no matter what the % of total spending it makes up. It's our money, and we need it at home.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3945582]WHY do we borrow so much?

Is it due to the free markets ?

This country's entitlements create this deficit. You don't see it in the pie charts, they hide it under terms like defense spending etc... BUT the government waste in this country caused by so many inefficiencies is well above foreign aid.

We spend BILLIONS in areas right here that are not needed or so inefficient. Post office, Department of Energy, Department of Education...ALL are HUGE failures and the leaders call for more spending.:rolleyes:

Wait until we have to bailout the states....... There is NO FREE MARKET in government.[/QUOTE]

We could afford all that (and A LOT more) if we weren't literally shipping money to other countries. The total cost of TADF programs since their inception is less than what we spent in Iraq in 18 mos.

We should spend more money on keeping people alive (our own citizens) than killing people. But...the human race just LOVES a good bomb and will sink trillions upon trillions into developing more insidious ways to kill people. Look at the ridiculously stupid "Cold War". Hey guys. Psst. You only need enough nuclear weapons to kill everyone on earth ONCE. You don't need to kill everyone 12 freaking times, you f*cking idiots. Once usually does it, I've found :rolleyes:

But wait!! Nuclear weapons aren't cool enough. Let's spend a couple billion making weapons that makes peoples faces melt off of their skulls. That would be SO awesome!! And then we'll make another one that makes people vomit blood for 12 hours before they vomit up their internal organs!! Yeah!!

Wait.

You want spend 1/20th of my awesome bomb money to help that homeless guy eat? F*CK that!! Personal responsibility, homeless dude...I don't care WHAT war you served in. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, freak....

Banned
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3945623]We could afford all that (and A LOT more) if we weren't literally shipping money to other countries. The total cost of TADF programs since their inception is less than what we spent in Iraq in 18 mos.

We should spend more money on keeping people alive (our own citizens) than killing people. But...the human race just LOVES a good bomb and will sink trillions upon trillions into developing more insidious ways to kill people. Look at the ridiculously stupid "Cold War". Hey guys. Psst. You only need enough nuclear weapons to kill everyone on earth ONCE. You don't need to kill everyone 12 freaking times, you f*cking idiots. Once usually does it, I've found :rolleyes:

But wait!! Nuclear weapons aren't cool enough. Let's spend a couple billion making weapons that makes peoples faces melt off of their skulls. That would be SO awesome!! And then we'll make another one that makes people vomit blood for 12 hours before they vomit up their internal organs!! Yeah!!

Wait.

You want spend 1/20th of my awesome bomb money to help that homeless guy eat? F*CK that!! Personal responsibility, homeless dude...I don't care WHAT war you served in. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, freak....[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3945369]Foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget. And less than half of it goes to poor countries. The largest recipients are strategic allies (Israel, Egypt [for now], Pakistan, Russia, ect)

With that said. I would not mind if this money went to infrastructure here in the us. To fix crumbling roads and bridges and even high speed rail.[/QUOTE]

poor countries? How many of those are dictatorships, where the money finds its way into the wrong hands and not the poor?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3945623]We could afford all that (and A LOT more) if we weren't literally shipping money to other countries. The total cost of TADF programs since their inception is less than what we spent in Iraq in 18 mos.

Wait.

You want spend 1/20th of my awesome bomb money to help that homeless guy eat? F*CK that!! Personal responsibility, homeless dude...I don't care WHAT war you served in. Pull yourself up by your bootstraps, freak....[/QUOTE]

While I love a good rant, the theory behind having so many nukes was that you would lose some in a first strike, some might not reach their targets, some might malfunction.

Ya know, if you're gonna do George Carlin, at least think it through.

[QUOTE=quantum;3945696]While I love a good rant, the theory behind having so many nukes was that you would lose some in a first strike, some might not reach their targets, some might malfunction.

Ya know, if you're gonna do George Carlin, at least think it through.[/QUOTE]

Sorry for this....

...but thats not the theory behind the U.S. buildup at all, in any form.

The U.S. buildup, both of numbers of nukes, and technology of War, was an economic war, pure and simple. It forced the Soviet Union to either pony up, and drop back in the contest. The refused to drop back, and it utterly bankrupted them and their Communist (lol) system.

We never had 10000 (or howevermany) nukes because some might fail. We had 10000 nukes because the Soviets couldn't really afford 10000 nukes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;3945696]While I love a good rant, the theory behind having so many nukes was that you would lose some in a first strike, some might not reach their targets, some might malfunction.[/QUOTE]

Of course. We HAD to be sure that if we wanted to render 85% of the Earth's surface an uninhabitable, radiation soaked wasteland for the next 240,000 years we we're actually capable of doing it.

General Sodom-Bomb: We successfully eradicated every city between the Baltic Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk. We are victorious!!

Sidekick: Now what do we do?

General Sodom-Bomb: We wait. For the trade winds to carry the massive amounts of nuclear fallout to our shores and then we will watch our dear families die a slow, painful death. In freedom.

Banned
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3945722]Of course. We HAD to be sure that if we wanted to render 85% of the Earth's surface an uninhabitable, radiation soaked wasteland for the next 240,000 years we we're actually capable of doing it.

General Sodom-Bomb: We successfully eradicated every city between the Baltic Sea and the Sea of Okhotsk. We are victorious!!

Sidekick: Now what do we do?

General Sodom-Bomb: We wait. For the trade winds to carry the massive amounts of nuclear fallout to our shores and then we will watch our dear families die a slow, painful death. In freedom.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Warfish is right though. The arms race was all about getting the Soviets to spend themselves to death. It had nothing to do with redundancy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3945730]LOL

Warfish is right though. The arms race was all about getting the Soviets to spend themselves to death. It had nothing to do with redundancy.[/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Funny story...their "war" in Afghanistan screwed them up economically too.

History repeating itself? History repeating itself :O