Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

bump this epic thread

just did my final mock draft haven't published it

historically my best years predicting the draft is when i construct the board to "Screw the Jets"

that's to say make every pick with the idea that it makes Tanny and the war room cringe

in this projection 4 QBs go in rd1 which is good but the following Jets targets were off the board by 30:

Kerrigan (11 to HOU)
    A Smith (13 to DET)
    Cam Jordan (16 to JAC)
    Justin Houston (18 to SD)
    Jimmy Smith (25 to SEA)
    Cam Heyward (26 to BAL)
    Akeem Ayers (27 to ATL)
    Gabe Carimi (28 to NE)
    Mo Wilkerson (29 to CHI)

that left about three players on my board for NYJ:

Brooks Reed
    Phil Taylor
    Martez Wilson

other long shot names like Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Jabaal Sheard

out of those names, I would take Reed. But could see Ryan and crew going with any of these 3 names.

Final projection time, Brooks Reed is still in the mix and at the end of the day it just might happen...

Out of those names I'm going:

Taylor
    Harris
    Williams
    Bailey
    Wilson
    Reed
    Sheard

Picking Reed at 30 is draft suicide.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    bump this epic thread

just did my final mock draft haven't published it

historically my best years predicting the draft is when i construct the board to "Screw the Jets"

that's to say make every pick with the idea that it makes Tanny and the war room cringe

in this projection 4 QBs go in rd1 which is good but the following Jets targets were off the board by 30:

Kerrigan (11 to HOU)
    A Smith (13 to DET)
    Cam Jordan (16 to JAC)
    Justin Houston (18 to SD)
    Jimmy Smith (25 to SEA)
    Cam Heyward (26 to BAL)
    Akeem Ayers (27 to ATL)
    Gabe Carimi (28 to NE)
    Mo Wilkerson (29 to CHI)

that left about three players on my board for NYJ:

Brooks Reed
    Phil Taylor
    Martez Wilson

other long shot names like Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Jabaal Sheard

out of those names, I would take Reed. But could see Ryan and crew going with any of these 3 names.

Final projection time, Brooks Reed is still in the mix and at the end of the day it just might happen...
    Jesus that's bleak. Trade down at all costs.

If not - seriously consider Kyle Rudolf or Watkins, or A. Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Jesus that's bleak. Trade down at all costs.

If not - seriously consider Kyle Rudolf or Watkins, or A. Williams
    it seems like every team in the late rd1 area wants to trade down

Martez Wilson please, after a trade back. From what I can see he uses his hands very well, Sheds blocks well, has pass rush moves, and to top it off he is a great athlete. I don't see a better option at 30, but I think we can trade back and grab him + an extra pick.

Reed is not even "not what we need". We can't even afford to see whether this player will progress into an NFL player. That is bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Jets would take Phil Taylor

The Jets experienced the benifit of having a massive nose-tackle with Kris Jenkins, they know what a difference that kind of behomoth in the middle of your front seven can make,
    I agree with you that the Jets would do this... I can't put Taylor in my mock but if I were being completely honest it would be him or Wilson... based on visits alone

here's my question tho

why do the Jets have to replace Jenks? He's played 6 games in 2 years. Seems like they already replaced him.

This guy really impressed in practice... more than Beal and other so-called big names. He beat Sherrod several times during the week, and he hustled his ass off. People are calling him a 3rd rounder. but a great run at the combine, i could see him sneaking up the board. He weighed in at 6025 257 and looked ripped.

Assuming Ryan Kerrigan is long gone... I could see the Jets "reaching" for this player at 30... and I could also see him being an excellent pass rusher in the league for years.
    But do you play him at DE or OLB...?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I just don't want to draft a 5 at this point

Reed
    Taylor
    Smith
    Houston

I think they will all be in play at 30
    Last edited by JonEJet; 04-24-2011 at 08:37 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I just do't want to draft a 5 at this point

Reed
    Taylor
    Smith
    Houston

I thin they will all be in play at 30

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Don't want a tackle....OLB, CB, Nose would work....not a tackle
    Last edited by JonEJet; 04-24-2011 at 08:38 PM.

All Pro
    dunkity drunk-drunk

Expecting Taylor to replace Jenkins is a pretty hefty wish. Jenkins was all-world when he was at his best. I don't know, I think Taylor's good, but not worth a 1st round pick. We can get better value in the third for a block-eating NT. It's unlikely we find a DE as good as Heyward in the third though.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Now can you see why the Jets will draft Phil Taylor if he slides to 30, perhaps even ahead of Heyward?
    honestly... Rex can turn Martin Tevasau into a better pro than Phil Taylor. he doesn't need a first round run stuffer

since we are getting close to the draft im getting serious... Brooks Reed would be my pick but I think their pick is gonna be Martez Wilson. How many other pro days did Rex Ryan attend?

Jets Insider VIP
    honestly... Rex can turn Martin Tevasau into a better pro than Phil Taylor. he doesn't need a first round run stuffer
    What exactly are you basing this on?

Seriously.

What the hell has a guy like Teveseu shown on the field to warrant the kind of praise you've been giving him?

He was on the practice squad all year until the AFC Championship game and the only reason he was activated was due to our piss poor depth along the DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What exactly are you basing this on?

Seriously.

What the hell has a guy like Teveseu shown on the field to warrant the kind of praise you've been giving him?

He was on the practice squad all year until the AFC Championship game and the only reason he was activated was due to our piss poor depth along the DL.

go ahead and rant but MTV looked decent in preseason and Rex has always turned average DL into useful if not very good players. Devito is a "secret superstar" under Rex. If it's not MTV it will be another JAG no one's ever heard of. He doesn't need a 2 down nose tackle in round 1. he needs pass rushers and corners.

what Am I basing it on? Justin bannan... kelly gregg... Mike Devito... Sione Pouha... etc. He can make Rapoti Pitoitua look like Mean Joe Greene.

Jets Insider VIP
    go ahead and rant but MTV looked decent in preseason and Rex has always turned average DL into useful if not very good players. Devito is a "secret superstar" under Rex. If it's not MTV it will be another JAG no one's ever heard of. He doesn't need a 2 down nose tackle in round 1. he needs pass rushers and corners.
    It's beyond ridiculous to think that Rex can just take any JAG DL and turn them into a good player.

That's like saying that since Belichick had Troy Brown effectively playing CB a few years ago, the Patriots should never draft a corner high in the draft.

Yeah, Rex got the most out of guys like Kelly Gregg and Justin Bannan in Baltimore, but that didn't stop him from bringing a stud like Ngata into the mix. Just because he's gotten the most out of Pouha and Devito doesn't mean we should just neglect the DL.

Jets Insider VIP
    He can make Rapoti Pitoitua look like Mean Joe Greene.
    LOL

Just stop, dude.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

what Am I basing it on? Justin bannan... kelly gregg... Mike Devito... Sione Pouha... etc. He can make Rapoti Pitoitua look like Mean Joe Greene.
    C'mon....Is it possible that Devito deserves some credit himself? Maybe the guy was a diamond in the rough and busted his ass for several years and made himself into a solid football player. Maybe Wooden, Clinkscales and Bradway need to get some credit for finding a kid with the heart and desire of Devito.

I love Rex and think he is a borderline brilliant defensive mind. But, he can't make chicken salad from chicken sh!t. Look at Gholston. Everyone blamed Mangini for confusing him, berating him, etc. but the fact remains that put him in the hands of Rex and Pettine and he was even less effective (considering the increased snaps he got).

Its true that Rex does less with more - but that relates to schemes, not necessarily making a crappy player better. I'm all for developing the Teveasus, Gilberts Pitoituas and Dixons of the world. I am not, however, for DEPENDING on their development for our defense to thrive. If any or all of those guys develop into real players, rest assured there will be a spot for them on the roster. You can never rotate too many Dlineman into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I love Rex and think he is a borderline brilliant defensive mind. But, he can't make chicken salad from chicken sh!t. .
    he can... he has... and he will do it again

don't get me wrong if Cam Jordan falls to 30 by some miracle they will leap at the chance to take a DL

but they won't draft a run stuffer in rd 1.

people say they need to replace Jenks... dude played 6 games in 2 years... they already replaced him.

the beauty of Rex system is "KISS" keep it simple stupid. he tells these DL where to go and they go there. This isn't Mangini's system where its all read and react and without a Kris Jenkins in full beast mode, they can't stop the run.

Rex will always be able to stop the run. Rex could stop the run with street free agents.