Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

and let me just add the draft is not about what you or I would do. I would take Brooks Reed. You would take Phil Taylor. None of that matters. It's about what would Tanny/Rex do...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    he can... he has... and he will do it again

don't get me wrong if Cam Jordan falls to 30 by some miracle they will leap at the chance to take a DL

but they won't draft a run stuffer in rd 1.

people say they need to replace Jenks... dude played 6 games in 2 years... they already replaced him.

the beauty of Rex system is "KISS" keep it simple stupid. he tells these DL where to go and they go there. This isn't Mangini's system where its all read and react and without a Kris Jenkins in full beast mode, they can't stop the run.

Rex will always be able to stop the run. Rex could stop the run with street free agents.

If Cam Jordan falls to 30, if Mo Wilk falls to 30 or if Cameron Heyward falls to 30, rest assured, Rex is pulling the trigger and smiling like he just saw a new set of perfect feet.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If Cam Jordan falls to 30, if Mo Wilk falls to 30 or if Cameron Heyward falls to 30, rest assured, Rex is pulling the trigger and smiling like he just saw a new set of perfect feet.
    i agree with that, just don't think those guys make it down to 30. if they trade up (somehow) it will be for Jordan

All Pro
    i agree with that, just don't think those guys make it down to 30. if they trade up (somehow) it will be for Jordan
    Man i just can't say enough about how much I like that. If we didn't need the help in the 2ndary - i'd be totally alright with trading away all 6 picks for that guy.

bump this epic thread

just did my final mock draft haven't published it

historically my best years predicting the draft is when i construct the board to "Screw the Jets"

that's to say make every pick with the idea that it makes Tanny and the war room cringe

in this projection 4 QBs go in rd1 which is good but the following Jets targets were off the board by 30:

Kerrigan (11 to HOU)
    A Smith (13 to DET)
    Cam Jordan (16 to JAC)
    Justin Houston (18 to SD)
    Jimmy Smith (25 to SEA)
    Cam Heyward (26 to BAL)
    Akeem Ayers (27 to ATL)
    Gabe Carimi (28 to NE)
    Mo Wilkerson (29 to CHI)

that left about three players on my board for NYJ:

Brooks Reed
    Phil Taylor
    Martez Wilson

other long shot names like Allen Bailey, Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Jabaal Sheard

out of those names, I would take Reed. But could see Ryan and crew going with any of these 3 names.

Final projection time, Brooks Reed is still in the mix and at the end of the day it just might happen...

Jets Insider VIP
    go ahead and rant but MTV looked decent in preseason and Rex has always turned average DL into useful if not very good players. Devito is a "secret superstar" under Rex. If it's not MTV it will be another JAG no one's ever heard of. He doesn't need a 2 down nose tackle in round 1. he needs pass rushers and corners.

what Am I basing it on? Justin bannan... kelly gregg... Mike Devito... Sione Pouha... etc. He can make Rapoti Pitoitua look like Mean Joe Greene.
    But doesn't that beg the question?

If Rex can turn JAGs into good players, doesn't that mean he can turn good prospects like Taylor into superstars?

it's an interesting idea but it depends how we define superstars

he can take a JAG and turn him into a fantastic run stuffer

he cannot take a JAG and turn him into Warren Sapp. I think the Jets would love to have an interior pass rusher like Jordan, Liuget or Wilkerson. I don't think they look at Phil Taylor as a way to improve the pass rush.

I think calling it an 'interesting idea' suggests that its somehow innovative or quirky to think that coaches who can succeed with average players can do even better with talented ones. Not sure I agree with the premise there.

I would like to see your actual mock prior to commenting, but if we are operating within strict bounds I would probably take Bailey at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    I would like to see your actual mock prior to commenting, but if we are operating within strict bounds I would probably take Bailey at that point.
    http://draftdaddy.com/MD/draft2011.htm

he can... he has... and he will do it again

don't get me wrong if Cam Jordan falls to 30 by some miracle they will leap at the chance to take a DL

but they won't draft a run stuffer in rd 1.

people say they need to replace Jenks... dude played 6 games in 2 years... they already replaced him.

the beauty of Rex system is "KISS" keep it simple stupid. he tells these DL where to go and they go there. This isn't Mangini's system where its all read and react and without a Kris Jenkins in full beast mode, they can't stop the run.

Rex will always be able to stop the run. Rex could stop the run with street free agents.
    I think we sometimes fall for the myth of our "dominant defense".

Was it effective? Yes. But did we have problems getting off the field? YES.

We never "replaced" Jenkins. We were a MUCH more productive defense with him, and would have produced MUCH better numbers if he had stayed healthy. Replacing him isn't just a luxury -- it's a necessity if we want to truly win games on the defensive side of the ball.

There were multiple games last year where Rex didn't stop the run -- filling the middle will help keep that from happening in the future . . .

Thanks. Good mock, though pretty horrible for our team. The one saving grace is that (i know you arent projecting them) it seems very likely that Andy Dalton will be selected in the 1st round, thus perhaps knocking one of Wilkerson/Heyward/Ayers back

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's beyond ridiculous to think that Rex can just take any JAG DL and turn them into a good player.

That's like saying that since Belichick had Troy Brown effectively playing CB a few years ago, the Patriots should never draft a corner high in the draft.

Yeah, Rex got the most out of guys like Kelly Gregg and Justin Bannan in Baltimore, but that didn't stop him from bringing a stud like Ngata into the mix. Just because he's gotten the most out of Pouha and Devito doesn't mean we should just neglect the DL.
    I think you're making Bit's point. Bit is saying that Rex can find a run stuffer in places other than the first round, so there's no point in using a first round pick on a run stuffer. I don't think he's saying that we shouldn't use a first round pick on a dynamic DLineman (e.g. Ngata). Of course we should, if one is there. However, Phil Taylor isn't that player. If you want a fat **** run stuffer, you can easily get one in the third round of this draft (e.g. Jerrell Powe).

I think the Jets absolutely need to come out of this draft with two front seven players. Two out of Heyward, Ayers, Ballard, Powe, Ellis, Reed would be nice (Heyward and Powe for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Yes, but with an undersized NT who will be 32 this year, and with no real depth behind him we can count on either.

Trust me bit, if Phil Taylor is on the board at 30 and if his feet are okay, the Jets will run that card to the podium with his name on it, even if Can Heyward is still on the board.

You heard it here first
    I hope not hammer. that might be the only pick I'd flat out hate. The dude just isn't good. I'd rather they reach for Kenrick Ellis than Phil Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I think you're making Bit's point. Bit is saying that Rex can find a run stuffer in places other than the first round, so there's no point in using a first round pick on a run stuffer. I don't think he's saying that we shouldn't use a first round pick on a dynamic DLineman (e.g. Ngata). Of course we should, if one is there. However, Phil Taylor isn't that player. If you want a fat **** run stuffer, you can easily get one in the third round of this draft (e.g. Jerrell Powe).

I think the Jets absolutely need to come out of this draft with two front seven players. Two out of Heyward, Ayers, Ballard, Powe, Ellis, Reed would be nice (Heyward and Powe for me).
    I think people are assuming that all stoppers are created equally. I can find an adequate run stopping DL in the late rounds, but I am unlikely to find the next Ted Washington/Pat Williams.

Wilson would be a disaster pick for us. He isn't physical enough to play inside, can't take on offensive guards, and he would be a project to convert to a 3-4 OLB. I don't think he has any edge rushing skills at this point.

Thankfully, I am pretty confident that we won't be taking Wilson at 30.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Wilson would be a project to convert to a 3-4 OLB.
    a linebacker projecting to OLB is not as big a project as a defensive end who never played the position. There is film of Martez Wilson rushing the passer from outside and he does ok.

I think people are assuming that all stoppers are created equally. I can find an adequate run stopping DL in the late rounds, but I am unlikely to find the next Ted Washington/Pat Williams.
    Phil Taylor does not deserve to be compared to these all time greats. He's never been dominant.

Correct... You people need to not compare Taylor to the Ted Washington's of the world. Much like last year nobody should have ever compared Cody to those types.

Taylor is huge, but doesn't have that level of strength.

A run-stuffing 3-4 NT isn't going to help the pass rush much. Most of these players come out on passing downs (Jenkins, Wilfork, Washington). The Jets had no issues stopping the run last year, as they ranked 3rd in yards allowed, and tied for 2nd in yards per attempt (3.6). They were right up there with the Steelers and Ravens.

Not sure where all this talk about the Jets struggling to stop the run is coming from.

a linebacker projecting to OLB is not as big a project as a defensive end who never played the position. There is film of Martez Wilson rushing the passer from outside and he does ok.
    Disagree. In a 4-3 scheme, the move from MLB to OLB would be pretty simple, but in a 3-4 system (especially how Rex runs it), the OLB position is much closer to a DE than an ILB (I don't thin Wilson can play ILB in a 3-4 either). Rex isn't looking for a guy that can cover from the OLB position, he wants a guy that can rush the passer and beat an OT one-on-one. Guys like Reed or Bailey are much better suited for that than Wilson.