Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

Smile Would the Jets really take Brooks Reed in the 1st.?

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think a lot of players have to be off the board for the jets to go with Reed in the first.
    Don't think Brooks Reed is a true 1st rounder. Maybe worth a 2nd ( if we had a 2nd.)

Muham. Wilkerson or Phil Taylor would be more immediate help to the Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    Of course Gil can be wrong, but that is a huge gap, he has Taylor grouped with guys like Watt and Jordan.
    I respect Gil but think that's way off base. He also has Tyron Smith in tier 1 which is kinda ludicrous for a RT who started 16 games in college.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I hope not hammer. that might be the only pick I'd flat out hate. The dude just isn't good. I'd rather they reach for Kenrick Ellis than Phil Taylor.
    lol...you want to sit here and post on the dominance of brooks reed at the senior bowl then come up with sh!t like this????

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    lol...you want to sit here and post on the dominance of brooks reed at the senior bowl then come up with sh!t like this????
    how useful is Phil Taylor on 3rd and 7? im not worried about the Jets D On 3rd and 1.

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    In conf call w/ season ticket holders, GM Mike Tannenbaum mentioned R. Kerrigan, A. Smith and R. Quinn as impact p rushers. #Jets
    1 minute ago

Man I wish we could get Aldon Smith...

Phil Taylor does not deserve to be compared to these all time greats. He's never been dominant.
    So were those all time greats dominant in collge?

Considering Pat Williams was an UDFA I'm guessing he wasn't and Ted Washington went #25, right where Taylor is being talked about..What else you got

Quote Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
    I think people are assuming that all stoppers are created equally. I can find an adequate run stopping DL in the late rounds, but I am unlikely to find the next Ted Washington/Pat Williams.
    I agree with this as well. There are some guys that just can't be run on (e.g. Ted Washington). And at #30, we should be able to get a good player. I mean, Kris Jenkins was a second rounder and when healthy, was one of the biggest ****ing animals you will ever see on a football field. I don't really see that out of Phil Taylor, though.

CB, who is your pick? Still like Ballard?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    CB, who is your pick? Still like Ballard?
    yes...though i doubt they take him @30....would really like to see them trade down 10 slots and have a chance at Ballard/Bailey....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

how useful is Phil Taylor on 3rd and 7? im not worried about the Jets D On 3rd and 1.
    a hell of a lot more useful than Cody, which is funny because as far as big men in the middle, Taylor the best pass rushing NT prospect to come out in a long time- and i'm not even a real big fan of the Jets taking him....

a hell of a lot more useful than Cody, which is funny because as far as big men in the middle, Taylor the best pass rushing NT prospect to come out in a long time- and i'm not even a real big fan of the Jets taking him....
    He definitely moves well at his size. He doesn't seem all that powerful, though, which is my concern.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He definitely moves well at his size. He doesn't seem all that powerful, though, which is my concern.
    agree with that- but Rex wants NT's that move- how powerful is Pouha??

All Pro
    go ahead and rant but MTV looked decent in preseason and Rex has always turned average DL into useful if not very good players. Devito is a "secret superstar" under Rex. If it's not MTV it will be another JAG no one's ever heard of. He doesn't need a 2 down nose tackle in round 1. he needs pass rushers and corners.

what Am I basing it on? Justin bannan... kelly gregg... Mike Devito... Sione Pouha... etc. He can make Rapoti Pitoitua look like Mean Joe Greene.
    i have to agree with bit. rex seems to always have some no name guys on the DL and those guys always perform for him in his system. i honestly think our starting DL next year is devito, pouha, and pito. hell, he brought in pryce, who couldn't stay on the ravens roster, and no other team apparently wanted either, and turned him into a good participating player on our DL throughout the year. the year before we had marques douglas starting on the DL. this is what he wants. he would rather spend the money and draft picks on other positions.

I dont know how a Brooks Reed thread became a phil Taylor thread but the Cody experience was a learning one for me.

If Cody isn't worth a first rounder, neither is Phil Taylor. Both players could eat themselves out of the league at any given time. Neither player helps on 3rd and long.

i don't understand why everyone believes Phil Taylor is serious about living his life at 335 but Cody is such a jerk. Both players got in shape to get paid. So did Gabe Watson and a dozen other college fatties I could name. At least Cody graduated from Bama, Taylor got booted from Penn State. if we are taking dudes that got booted I'll take Kenrick Ellis from Hampton getting booted out of South Carolina.

Neither Cody nor Taylor impacts the pass rush. Saying Taylor is better than Cody at pass rush is technically true but both players suck at it. Taylor has 2 sacks at Baylor in his career. 3 at Penn state. these are not numbers that indicate he will be Kris Jenkins at the next level.

while we are talking about it Kris Jenkins was unique because he was a pro bowl pass rusher at 300 pounds coming out of Maryland before he ballooned to 350+ later in his career. It would be like Gerald McCoy becoming a nose tackle 5 years from now. Phil Taylor won't replace Kris Jenkins. No one can replace a 350 pound nose tackle that also can pass rush. these players flat out don't exist in the college ranks. In fact, drafting Phil Taylor to "replace" Kris Jenkins is the surest way to make sure he never lives up to his draft status. He could replace Sione Pouha. But that's fixing a problem that isn't broken. Pouha has like 5 years left at NT.

All Pro
    I dont know how a Brooks Reed thread became a phil Taylor thread but the Cody experience was a learning one for me.

If Cody isn't worth a first rounder, neither is Phil Taylor. Both players could eat themselves out of the league at any given time. Neither player helps on 3rd and long.

i don't understand why everyone believes Phil Taylor is serious about living his life at 335 but Cody is such a jerk. Both players got in shape to get paid. So did Gabe Watson and a dozen other college fatties I could name. At least Cody graduated from Bama, Taylor got booted from Penn State. if we are taking dudes that got booted I'll take Kenrick Ellis from Hampton getting booted out of South Carolina.

Neither Cody nor Taylor impacts the pass rush. Saying Taylor is better than Cody at pass rush is technically true but both players suck at it. Taylor has 2 sacks at Baylor in his career. 3 at Penn state. these are not numbers that indicate he will be Kris Jenkins at the next level.

while we are talking about it Kris Jenkins was unique because he was a pro bowl pass rusher at 300 pounds coming out of Maryland before he ballooned to 350+ later in his career. It would be like Gerald McCoy becoming a nose tackle 5 years from now. Phil Taylor won't replace Kris Jenkins. No one can replace a 350 pound nose tackle that also can pass rush. these players flat out don't exist in the college ranks. In fact, drafting Phil Taylor to "replace" Kris Jenkins is the surest way to make sure he never lives up to his draft status. He could replace Sione Pouha. But that's fixing a problem that isn't broken. Pouha has like 5 years left at NT.
    Put me in the "No" camp on Taylor also. I just don't see it with this guy. Great size, yes, but not exactly dominant at the college level even with that size advantage. I see too many plays where he gets pushed backwards and fails to impact on the running lane. He has Jenks type size, but not Jenks type strength or run-stuffing ability.

I also have doubts about the guy this thread is supposed to be about, Brooks Reed, although I do like him more than Taylor. Reed has great effort, no doubt, but I do worry about his flexibility and ability to play in reverse as an OLB.

Incidentally, just wondering in the light of all the Brooks Reed love - why no such love for Arizona's other DE Ricky Elmore on the forum? He actually produced more sacks than Reed over the last 2 years, while rushing mainly from the LDE position. He's not as fast as Reed, but you can't argue with his production as a pass-rusher. Not necessarily touting him for the Jets, just find it interesting that one Arizona DE is getting all the love, while the other (more productive, but without the Clay Matthews hairstyle) guy barely gets a mention.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Jets will not draft Brooks Reed in round one....to be continued....

Is this another cryptic post like the Ballard post last week? What, did he cut his hair off or something?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Put me in the "No" camp on Taylor also. I just don't see it with this guy. Great size, yes, but not exactly dominant at the college level even with that size advantage. I see too many plays where he gets pushed backwards and fails to impact on the running lane. He has Jenks type size, but not Jenks type strength or run-stuffing ability.

I also have doubts about the guy this thread is supposed to be about, Brooks Reed, although I do like him more than Taylor. Reed has great effort, no doubt, but I do worry about his flexibility and ability to play in reverse as an OLB.

Incidentally, just wondering in the light of all the Brooks Reed love - why no such love for Arizona's other DE Ricky Elmore on the forum? He actually produced more sacks than Reed over the last 2 years, while rushing mainly from the LDE position. He's not as fast as Reed, but you can't argue with his production as a pass-rusher. Not necessarily touting him for the Jets, just find it interesting that one Arizona DE is getting all the love, while the other (more productive, but without the Clay Matthews hairstyle) guy barely gets a mention.
    PLUS HE CAN DO THE JUMP OUT OF THE POOL THING...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqNJ...eature=related

AND THE JUMP INTO THE BACK OF THE TRUCK THING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pw1uxc1Wyc&NR=1

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    PLUS HE CAN DO THE JUMP OUT OF THE POOL THING...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEqNJ...eature=related

AND THE JUMP INTO THE BACK OF THE TRUCK THING

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Pw1uxc1Wyc&NR=1
    can he tear a phone book with his bare hands? If he can do that, then we've got something.

Jets will not draft Brooks Reed in round one....to be continued....
    that means they *might* draft him in round 2?