Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

I also don't believe Brooks Reed goes to NYJ in rd1. Not because of any insider info... just cause he hasn't been through Florham to visit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I also don't believe Brooks Reed goes to NYJ in rd1. Not because of any insider info... just cause he hasn't been through Florham to visit.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we had Revis or Harris come in for visits in 2007.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    that means they *might* draft him in round 2?
    they don't have a pick in round two.....check in tomorrow around 10PM- i know the pick as of know but obviously that could change....

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    they don't have a pick in round two.....check in tomorrow around 10PM- i know the pick as of know but obviously that could change....

Not going to ask you to tell who the pick is, but do you think if the Jets do make that pick that it would be a good pick or a bad one?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Not going to ask you to tell who the pick is, but do you think if the Jets do make that pick that it would be a good pick or a bad one?
    not my top guy but fits a need....

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I dont know how a Brooks Reed thread became a phil Taylor thread but the Cody experience was a learning one for me.

If Cody isn't worth a first rounder, neither is Phil Taylor. Both players could eat themselves out of the league at any given time. Neither player helps on 3rd and long.

i don't understand why everyone believes Phil Taylor is serious about living his life at 335 but Cody is such a jerk. Both players got in shape to get paid. So did Gabe Watson and a dozen other college fatties I could name. At least Cody graduated from Bama, Taylor got booted from Penn State. if we are taking dudes that got booted I'll take Kenrick Ellis from Hampton getting booted out of South Carolina.

Neither Cody nor Taylor impacts the pass rush. Saying Taylor is better than Cody at pass rush is technically true but both players suck at it. Taylor has 2 sacks at Baylor in his career. 3 at Penn state. these are not numbers that indicate he will be Kris Jenkins at the next level.

while we are talking about it Kris Jenkins was unique because he was a pro bowl pass rusher at 300 pounds coming out of Maryland before he ballooned to 350+ later in his career. It would be like Gerald McCoy becoming a nose tackle 5 years from now. Phil Taylor won't replace Kris Jenkins. No one can replace a 350 pound nose tackle that also can pass rush. these players flat out don't exist in the college ranks. In fact, drafting Phil Taylor to "replace" Kris Jenkins is the surest way to make sure he never lives up to his draft status. He could replace Sione Pouha. But that's fixing a problem that isn't broken. Pouha has like 5 years left at NT.
    Literally the only thing they have in common is that they're both NT prospects.

If there's one thing I will always kill you for it's the weird logic you use when it's convenient...Why in the world would Taylor's sack numbers in college indicate whether he's the next Jenkins or not?

I can't find Jenkins' year 2000 Maryland stats on the one page I looked at, but in his previous 3 years he totaled 1.5 sacks.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...ns_kris01.html
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 04-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.

All Pro
    I hope it's not Phil Taylor, Aaron Williams or Justin Houston.

What are you Bongo? J/K, I know who you are. PM me who the pick is and I'll tell you if you're right...

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we had Revis or Harris come in for visits in 2007.
    yep, the "no visit" means nothing. They know the Pats are probably thinking about Reed, so the Jets might not want to show interest so the Pats think they can take another player at 28 and grab him at 33. I think the Pats will be taking Reed if he's there at the top of round 2. If that happens, I will puke.

My worst nightmare would be the Pats grabbing JJ Watt, Carimi and Reed with their first 3 picks.

this is a good question I cannot verify that either way. most of the recent 1st round draft picks have visited or privately worked out for the team.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Do you think theres a very strong likelihood (90%+) chance that they make a pick on day 1?

If Mo Wilk/Heyward/Ayers/Taylor are all gone (perhaps Clayborn as well - not sure bout that one), I have to imagine that there isn't anyone that they HAVE to have that they wouldn't entertain most offers.

All League
    Sounds like Aaron Williams...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I hope not. Don't like his tackling much for a potential FS.

CB, who is your ideal for the pick? Just curious...you mentioned Ballard multiple times this offseason as the guy who might get the call, but for many reasons that won't happen...plus I don't buy that he's your ideal at all (not that you've actually said that). Heyward, maybe?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I was thinking Phil Taylor

jeez i know they dont have a pick in the 2nd, was thinking in terms more of trade-back contingency to ~40ish.

i might be wrong but if the FO is so certain that they know who they will pick, n cbny knows the pick, my guess is this player is not a consensus pick, or in other words, a player that is a little "from left field". someone they value highly but are fairly sure will have no shot at going before 30. that would eliminate houston, taylor, ayers, heyward, etc.

also, there are only a few positions that could be called a need.

*CB - even if cro comes back
    S - if either pool or leonhard are not on the opening day roster
    *OLB - even if status quo maintained
    5tech - if shaun ellis is not brought back

that could all be way off, and/or nothing new

CB is not a need if Cromartie comes back, especially round 1. considering someone that has worked with Rex said last year that Rex doesn't put value into safeties round 1, Ed Reed is the exception, generational talent.

I think the player is either a OLB or on the DL.

And I think this season will be played by the 2010 rules so that Cromartie and Holmes will be back.

I'm guessing Paea.

It's Jabaal Sheard. If I recall you said you weren't a big fan. The need he fits is the pass rush.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Revis did come in for a visit.....every player the Jets have selected first under tannenbaum the franchise has brought in for an official visit- if they get their wish that trend will continue...

btw- not trying to be a prick but i saw first hand the raven learn a hard lesson last year when someone let the cat out of the bag early w/dez bryant and i purposely avoided in the next day withholding the name of Ducasse, if anyone remembers...