Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We clear up almost $5 million in cap space if we cut Thomas.

I don't see anyway we keep him. Same thing for Damien Woody.
    A purely run stopping olb does not cut it. Thomas just cannot rush the passer any more and that has hurt us bad. He should be gone if there is cap savings.

(Edit: this was in response to Bitonti asserting that he and Thomas should be starters next year.)

All Pro
    I think BT has to go. JT will be gone... the Jets will need at least 2 OLBs. I would like to see them spend some cash on an established OLB and draft BPA early maybe take an OLB project later.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I think BT has to go. JT will be gone... the Jets will need at least 2 OLBs. I would like to see them spend some cash on an established OLB and draft BPA early maybe take an OLB project later.
    they need to spend cash on younger, proven OLBs. that will improve the D measurably.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they need to spend cash on younger, proven OLBs. that will improve the D measurably.
    Wimbley or Lawson.

i love the draft but dont really follow the contracts... if getting rid of BT saves 4million dollars that's a pretty strong argument for him not being here, and affirms my suspicion that OLB is the target this draft.

as for Westerman I gotta admit im a little peeved at him for that roughing the punter BS. If he can't do specials right can he play defense? He's not really produced in that role, and they have tried him there.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i love the draft but dont really follow the contracts... if getting rid of BT saves 4million dollars that's a pretty strong argument for him not being here, and affirms my suspicion that OLB is the target this draft.

as for Westerman I gotta admit im a little peeved at him for that roughing the punter BS. If he can't do specials right can he play defense? He's not really produced in that role, and they have tried him there.
    I was peeved at him as well, but looking at the replay, he really just stretched out for the ball and his hand hit the punters foot. Far better then the colts guy dropping all dicipline and running right into Weatherford.

That roughing the punter call was a BS call...reason #13024124013841380 why the NFL is more fun to talk about and bs about than actually watch...he lovetapped the punter, at the very worst.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I was peeved at him as well, but looking at the replay, he really just stretched out for the ball and his hand hit the punters foot. Far better then the colts guy dropping all dicipline and running right into Weatherford.
    At first, I was more pissed at Westhoff for having the punt block on. But, after seeing it again and seeing people's comments here, it was evident that he was simply unblocked and he had a clear shot at blocking the punt and somehow missed. At the end of the day, it was just one of those things. He wasn't irresponsible, he just missed what would have been a game changing play.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    That roughing the punter call was a BS call...reason #13024124013841380 why the NFL is more fun to talk about and bs about than actually watch...he lovetapped the punter, at the very worst.
    How was it a BS call? He squarely hit the punters foot. It wasn't like he tackled him, but it was clear as day that he hit his foot and took him down. It deserved to be a roughing - but even if they only gave him a "running into the punter", it still would have been a first down.

the blame for that penalty is with westhoff. he should have got his guys together before the punt and said "don't go NEAR that punter, we're going to get very good field position." That's what's missing from the jets coaching staff. he needed to communicate that message right before the punt, and i'll wager he didn't.

either way... punt blocking aside... westerman cannot be relied upon to start, i think we can all agree on that. his stats were actually worse than gholston's this year.

Agreed we need speedy OLBs in the worst way to murder the qb. Yes i expected more impact out of Westerman, seemed like he regressed

How fast is Brooks Reed??? What do you think he'll run the 40 time in??? Could he fill the void of a guy that can get around a OT for a sack on 1 on 1??

All Pro
    I really like this kid and wouldnt be opposed to the Jets selecting him at 30 even if the "experts" consider it a "reach".

Everything about this kid, from reading his scouting reports to watching what i could on youtube (which isnt a accurate way to watch a player but itll do), screams FOOTBALL PLAYER and not ATHLETE.

He seems like a very hard worker, plays with his hair on fire, shows good pad level, good pass rush moves, and has a very good motor.

Im tired of watching athletes getting drafted over real football players like this kid. I want the Jets to draft him.

Consider me on the Brooks Reed bandwagon

All Pro
    HTML Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83Tki2gwyJc

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    I really like this kid and wouldnt be opposed to the Jets selecting him at 30 even if the "experts" consider it a "reach".

Everything about this kid, from reading his scouting reports to watching what i could on youtube (which isnt a accurate way to watch a player but itll do), screams FOOTBALL PLAYER and not ATHLETE.

He seems like a very hard worker, plays with his hair on fire, shows good pad level, good pass rush moves, and has a very good motor.

Im tired of watching athletes getting drafted over real football players like this kid. I want the Jets to draft him.

Consider me on the Brooks Reed bandwagon
    I see this kid being mocked in the third and fourth rounds.....do we really think he will be a first round pick? Thats a pretty big reach.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

either way... punt blocking aside... westerman cannot be relied upon to start, i think we can all agree on that. his stats were actually worse than gholston's this year.
    I tend to agree with you on that (although would not be absolutely shocked if the FO/CS felt otherwise), but I'm not sure that we can count on a rookie to come in and start from Day 1 either. Granted, you should be able to expect a Top 30 pick to contribute right away, but as Jet fans, we know all too well that that simply isn't the case.

I'm not sure that Pace/Westerman/Rookie is sufficient for next year. I'm all for letting Thomas go - he's good against the run and fine in coverage, but no real pass rush to speak of - but there's something to be said for having some experience.

Westerman is the type of guy that successful teams develop into real contributors. Devito is a guy like that as well. If we can get a significant increase in contribution from Westerman and one of the Dlineman (Dixon seems to be the prime candidate, but I like that Taveseau was activated), this defense will be that much stronger.

A lot of times it simply comes with opportunity. The Pats had 4 or 5 young lineman contribute on their team this year and did quite well. Likewise, we didn't really know what we had in Hunter until the guy got enough snaps to get comfortable at RT. Rob Turner also showed something in his limited opportunity.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not sure that Pace/Westerman/Rookie is sufficient for next year.
    Its 100% not sufficient. Not even close.

And I feel pretty confident that Mike T will fill the hole before the draft. He always said he prefers to do it that way... and this frees him up to make BPA picks on draft day.

All Pro
    Its 100% not sufficient. Not even close.

And I feel pretty confident that Mike T will fill the hole before the draft. He always said he prefers to do it that way... and this frees him up to make BPA picks on draft day.
    I agree in terms of confidence in MikeT and Rex. Last year we filled all the holes we wanted to fill. CB was a huge need, we get Cro and Wilson. Second RB was a need, we sign LT and draft McKnight. We needed a safety, we signed Pool and started to work Lowery into the mix there. We needed a new right guard, Slauson was ready and we drafted Ducasse.

The Jets have been doing well in filling holes and right now I think they are already working 24/7 on the free agent plans and who to draft for which hole. Talent evaluation has also been pretty good recently. Slauson was fine starting, Greene couldnt carry the load so we got LT, safety position took care of itself over the year, Cro did his job, none of the free agents last year failed completely. I think we will go into next season with all holes filled, if it is enough remains to be seen but the last two season gotta have us confident...

usually that's true, but if there's no CBA the only people he can sign before the draft are street free agents.

also to those who said "reach" on Brooks reed, i think the combine plays a huge role in his stock. If he runs a 4.5 and tears up drills he not only worth the 30 pick but might not even be on the board at 30. If he runs a 4.8 or higher then yes he's more of a 3rd round type of player.

one other comment the Jets are one of the worst teams financially this year in terms of cap space and roster spots to fill. They have one of the league's highest payrolls and 19 roster spots open. all this talk about Lawson or Wimbley is dream talk. obviously there will be retirement and cuts but even with that they might only be able to keep 2 out of the "big 4" free agents. So I think they will need to fix their problems through the draft, and OLB is a problem.

I watch reed and I think he runs around 4.6 or 4.7. Either way he plays very fast and can get the edge