Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Its 100% not sufficient. Not even close.

And I feel pretty confident that Mike T will fill the hole before the draft. He always said he prefers to do it that way... and this frees him up to make BPA picks on draft day.
    Not saying he is an answer however they do have Cody Brown who was making the transition from college DE to OLB..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not saying he is an answer however they do have Cody Brown who was making the transition from college DE to OLB..
    This guy confounds me. He was drafted by the Cardinals in the 2nd round in 09' - gets injured before the season starts and is IR'd and then gets released.

I have no idea how his TC went in Zona this year but I'm guessing it was disasterous enough for them to let him go and for no one else to try and poach him from our Taxi Squad.

Hopefully its a situation where he was a square peg in a round hole in AZ and he fits in well here. If he can make that transition to OLB successfully, it'd be a huge development.

All Pro
    I'm kinda worried a bit with this whole Brooks Reed hype. I mean all season long we dont hear anything of him, middle of the draft type of guy. A couple of months later a guy looking a lot like him is basically the best defender in the NFL, he has a solid Senior Bowl week and everyone thinks hes a first rounder. Hype and trying to find the next Player X are things that can be very problematic regarding the draft. There is more to being a great pass rusher than a relentless motor and long blond hair...

Not saying this is the case with Reed at all, Im not a scout or have seen enough of him to give an opinion. But somehow I think it is a little weird that now all of a sudden he is the best thing since sliced bread...

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I'm kinda worried a bit with this whole Brooks Reed hype. I mean all season long we dont hear anything of him, middle of the draft type of guy. A couple of months later a guy looking a lot like him is basically the best defender in the NFL, he has a solid Senior Bowl week and everyone thinks hes a first rounder. Hype and trying to find the next Player X are things that can be very problematic regarding the draft. There is more to being a great pass rusher than a relentless motor and long blond hair...

Not saying this is the case with Reed at all, Im not a scout or have seen enough of him to give an opinion. But somehow I think it is a little weird that now all of a sudden he is the best thing since sliced bread...
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel. From what I've seen, which is limited seeing as I can't find much on this guy, he's looked pretty good, but not first round good. Granted, I also think he'll be a good player in the NFL, but I'm always wary of players who skyrocket from like a third round pick to a first round pick in the offseason. CBTNY says that he's going to end up being one of the best OLB's to come out and I trust his opinion, but I really haven't seen enough to feel good about taking him at 30. If he is the guy we target, hopefully we can trade back a little and gain some extra picks.

I agree with this Mo. This type of hype worries me and seems to always be the case with Jets fans at this time of year. Elevating a guy that most likely is a 2nd rounder with that being their ceiling, the highest they will go.

I like Reed but come on now, 1st rounder? We bash the Gholston pick but we continue to want our team to reach on workout warriors. To me a guy should only go up one round at most from where you thought he would go from watching tape to the off season stuff. So Reed was a 3rd round guy, now probably a 2nd round guy. Same with Phil Taylor. Too much risk and not enough good tape to put them in the 1st round which is why they were not considered first rounders in the first place.

No more Jarron Gilbert's and Linval Joseph's please. Year in and year out it just does not happen. I think we will grab someone that falls to us rather than reaching for someone just because it is a position of need. Someone will fall to us that will fill a need while being good value. Most likely a DE or OLB.

As for the "lets trade down" stuff...do the Jets do that these days? We don't have a second rounder. It sucks but it is what it is. The probability of the Jets keeping all of their current picks are slim. They use them for ammo to move up and secure the guys they want. I see them drafting 4 players this year. Maybe 5 tops.

All Pro

Watch from 4:30

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    I agree with this Mo. This type of hype worries me and seems to always be the case with Jets fans at this time of year. Elevating a guy that most likely is a 2nd rounder with that being their ceiling, the highest they will go.

I like Reed but come on now, 1st rounder? We bash the Gholston pick but we continue to want our team to reach on workout warriors. To me a guy should only go up one round at most from where you thought he would go from watching tape to the off season stuff. So Reed was a 3rd round guy, now probably a 2nd round guy. Same with Phil Taylor. Too much risk and not enough good tape to put them in the 1st round which is why they were not considered first rounders in the first place.

No more Jarron Gilbert's and Linval Joseph's please. Year in and year out it just does not happen. I think we will grab someone that falls to us rather than reaching for someone just because it is a position of need. Someone will fall to us that will fill a need while being good value. Most likely a DE or OLB.

As for the "lets trade down" stuff...do the Jets do that these days? We don't have a second rounder. It sucks but it is what it is. The probability of the Jets keeping all of their current picks are slim. They use them for ammo to move up and secure the guys they want. I see them drafting 4 players this year. Maybe 5 tops.
    I can give you a lot of guys who seemingly came out of nowhere to end up in high spots in the draft, and then go on to be pro bowlers.

A lot of the time, they are only coming out of nowhere to the people who don't know anything and are just going off of a few websites that track this stuff. Not only that, but people often slot someone before the college season based on the player's supposed athletic ability or even how highly they were recruited into school

Don't make it more complicated guys... Comes down to how good the player is going to be in the NFL. Teams and scouts are constantly trying to evaluate, and nowadays they are doing nothing but watching tape.

Just one example of that is Kevin Williams who was a 3rd rounder that year until the senior bowl practices and the game itself. After playing at a very high level, he ends up going high first round.

DeMarcus Ware was a 2nd rounder until he ran a 4.5 at 252.

Reed can play...the fact that his name is just getting out amongst the mainstream doesn't mean much...he is on the OTHER coast anyway...I still think he's a top 40 pick.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life View Post

And the point is?! Sorry but you can find the same type of play from many many other projected OLB... and that in real game action and not some all star game...

Again, I'm not saying that he is a bad player but other guys have had better production against better competition plus they seem like better athletes. Aldon Smith and Justin Houston come to mind, even though CBNY said Houston is Gholston part two.

And the point is?! Sorry but you can find the same type of play from many many other projected OLB... and that in real game action and not some all star game...

Again, I'm not saying that he is a bad player but other guys have had better production against better competition plus they seem like better athletes. Aldon Smith and Justin Houston come to mind, even though CBNY said Houston is Gholston part two.
    Suggesting Houston is on Gholston's level as prospect is very extreme as well. Gholston's best case scenario far exceeds anything Houston can do.

And the Senior Bowl is not some all star game... One thing I have learned through the last many years projecting this stuff, is that the guys who do well in the practices and in the game of the Senior Bowl, almost always turn into damn good NFL players. Like anything else, it doesn't reign true for every single case, but absolutely most of them.

And by the above, I am talking mainly about front 4 guys on defense and front 5 guys on offense.

All Pro
    I rather have Brooks Reed then Aldon Smith. I think we need to stay away from the tall rangy DE transplanted into a OLB.This is what we have now with our current group and they look very stiff out there and even more in coverage.Take a look at the OLB dominating in the league now. None are taller then 6-3 and they get that extra burst and leverage from being shorter then the tackles.If we can end up with Brooks Reed and Chris Carter I would be one happy man.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    I rather have Brooks Reed then Aldon Smith. I think we need to stay away from the tall rangy DE transplanted into a OLB.This is what we have now with our current group and they look very stiff out there and even more in coverage.Take a look at the OLB dominating in the league now. None are taller then 6-3 and they get that extra burst and leverage from being shorter then the tackles.If we can end up with Brooks Reed and Chris Carter I would be one happy man.
    Well, Terrell Suggs is a huge OLB and he does pretty well. Baltimore likes its guys big there as seem the Jets to do. I like the idea of some speedy guys but a player like Smith has unbelievable athletisism for a guy his size. He can also move inside and be strong against the run in a four man front.

I feel the same way, but for different reasons. One, I love tall/rangy 3-4 OLBs and it's certainly never hurt guys like Ware, Taylor, Merriman before the injuries, Pace when he's healthy, McGinnest, and Vrabel....Ware's the best 3-4 OLB in the league right now and he's 6'4...hell, he's probably a top 5 defensive player overall.

I'd take Reed over Smith because straight up he's a better player. He's a very good athlete himself, he's got great measurables for the position, he's a smarter and more experienced player than Smith...Note that Smith has a crap ton of upside and could very well be a good player...I completely whiffed on Pierre-Paul last year.

I still think Reed is the Woodley of this class...relentless guys who live in the backfield of opponents...very similar measurables too...same kind of questions.

All Pro
    Well, Terrell Suggs is a huge OLB and he does pretty well. Baltimore likes its guys big there as seem the Jets to do. I like the idea of some speedy guys but a player like Smith has unbelievable athletisism for a guy his size. He can also move inside and be strong against the run in a four man front.
    Suggs is 6-3 260. He is heavy but at the time he doesn't have the height of a true DE.He is built low to the ground and that is why is bull rushes and speed is so dominate. Just like you said he is very athletic for his size.Suggs is shorter then any of our OLB's other then Westerman.And Westerman doesn't start.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I feel the same way, but for different reasons. One, I love tall/rangy 3-4 OLBs and it's certainly never hurt guys like Ware, Taylor, Merriman before the injuries, Pace when he's healthy, McGinnest, and Vrabel....Ware's the best 3-4 OLB in the league right now and he's 6'4...hell, he's probably a top 5 defensive player overall.

I'd take Reed over Smith because straight up he's a better player. He's a very good athlete himself, he's got great measurables for the position, he's a smarter and more experienced player than Smith...Note that Smith has a crap ton of upside and could very well be a good player...I completely whiffed on Pierre-Paul last year.

I still think Reed is the Woodley of this class...relentless guys who live in the backfield of opponents...very similar measurables too...same kind of questions.
    I wouldn't say Ware is better then Suggs or Harrison right now.And Clay Matthews is starting to make his mark only in his second year.

I wouldn't say Ware is better then Suggs or Harrison right now.And Clay Matthews is starting to make his mark only in his second year.
    I'd take Ware over both Harrison and Suggs, and I'm a huge fan of all three...particularly Suggs and Ware.

Matthews needs to do it longer to be in the discussion with those 3...all of whom are a whole inch shorter than Ware...also there's guys like Michael Johnson (6'7" played LB for the Bengals last year)...Brian Orakpo (6'4")...height is not what is hurting our OLBs...Thomas just isn't that good...Pace played on a bad foot...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Suggesting Houston is on Gholston's level as prospect is very extreme as well. Gholston's best case scenario far exceeds anything Houston can do.

And the Senior Bowl is not some all star game... One thing I have learned through the last many years projecting this stuff, is that the guys who do well in the practices and in the game of the Senior Bowl, almost always turn into damn good NFL players. Like anything else, it doesn't reign true for every single case, but absolutely most of them.

And by the above, I am talking mainly about front 4 guys on defense and front 5 guys on offense.
    Kyle Wilson was impressive last years SR bowl, though I still think hes going to be good....

Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 02-03-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4life View Post

On that same play where Reed gets the sack, take a look at what Phil STaylor does to that center, and by the way that wasn't the only play where he dominated. he walked the guy back like he was on skates then he disengaged and threw him to the side, Reed got there first but Taylor was coming in to clean his clock.

I remember when Suggs dropped because he ran a high 4.8 and I was thinking wow, I don't care he's still a hell of a player. Also if you guys have good memories the Raiders took a safety corner tweener from Cal who was supposed to be a third round type at best late in the first that year, wanna guess who? i remember Romanowski was scratching his head like what? Every dog has his day including crazy Al (who has been hitting well lately btw) but sometimes a player moves up for a very good reason... and that corner/safety tweener you ask? None other than Nnamdi

Revis was the second best corner when we moved up to get him, apparently only the Jets thought he was that special otherwise he would've gone first overall. Leon Hall was everyone's darling, not a bad player but nowhere near the caliber of Revis. I remember watching Revis play and thinking, man this guy is slow he runs with a skip, like a weird gait or something, but man oh man was he covering ground with that hop!
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 02-04-2011 at 12:55 AM.

All Pro
    Suggs is 6-3 260. He is heavy but at the time he doesn't have the height of a true DE.He is built low to the ground and that is why is bull rushes and speed is so dominate. Just like you said he is very athletic for his size.Suggs is shorter then any of our OLB's other then Westerman.And Westerman doesn't start.
    Well, not that it matters but Suggs seems definitely bigger than this. He looks bigger than both Pace and BT out on the field, has very long arms and is just big. Anyways, I think we can agree that there isnt one type of OLB who should be preferred. The only thing we need is a true pass rusher...