Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

The Omnibus Draft Thread (fka Brooks Reed to Jets)

This guy really impressed in practice... more than Beal and other so-called big names. He beat Sherrod several times during the week, and he hustled his ass off. People are calling him a 3rd rounder. but a great run at the combine, i could see him sneaking up the board. He weighed in at 6025 257 and looked ripped.

Assuming Ryan Kerrigan is long gone... I could see the Jets "reaching" for this player at 30... and I could also see him being an excellent pass rusher in the league for years.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-28-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    No complaints here.

Reed actually feels like more of a safe bet than Beal or Houston IMO. At least you know he'll hustle his ass off and add more fire to the front seven.

And he has a blond mane of hair like Clay Matthews who lit up senior bowl week two years ago... gulp!

Hey Bit what happened man, you and CBTNY smoked the peace pipe in Mobile? You better pick a fight before the combine or I will lose all respect for you

There needs to be a Mount Cody sized argument here soon or else! Where's Gato when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No complaints here.

Reed actually feels like more of a safe bet than Beal or Houston IMO. At least you know he'll hustle his ass off and add more fire to the front seven.
    This Reed dude starting to sound really interesting. Want top hear more about this firebrand

I think a lot of players have to be off the board for the jets to go with Reed in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    This Reed dude starting to sound really interesting. Want top hear more about this firebrand
    I would take Reed without a doubt over Beal, and Houston for that matter. Beal stinks and Houston I don't love either.

Reed is very athletic... He also has pretty good speed around the edge and a great work rate. He's always trying to get in on the play and those guys typically figure things out.

I could definitely see Reed going to a team like us in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    And he has a blond mane of hair like Clay Matthews who lit up senior bowl week two years ago... gulp!

Hey Bit what happened man, you and CBTNY smoked the peace pipe in Mobile? You better pick a fight before the combine or I will lose all respect for you

There needs to be a Mount Cody sized argument here soon or else! Where's Gato when you need him?
    how the hell does that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I think a lot of players have to be off the board for the jets to go with Reed in the first.
    this is a true statement... the Jets will hope that Ryan Kerrigan and Cameron Heyward drop... but Reed is a great player to have in your back pocket just in case no one really excellent drops to 30.

Brooks Reed Scouting Report

Brooks Reed - Arizona (HT: 6-2 - WT: 257)
    Combine 40: N/A - Pro Day 40: N/A - Position Rank: 17 of 55

Positives: Athletic... Solid pass rusher... Gets good bend on the corner... Gets after the QB... Can push and pressure the pocket... Plays with reasonably good leverage... Adequate flexibility... Nice arsenal of moves... Solid bull rush... Solid rip and spin moves... Good closing speed... Can split double teams... Plays the run okay... Makes plays in the backfield... Maintains containment... Stays active... Chases the ball... Good upfield player... Stays low... Good tackler... Wraps up... Good character... No off-field issues... Good work ethic... Intense player... Tenacious... Good motor... Best fits as a 3-4 OLB... Fairly fluid hips... Good instincts... Good awareness... Disciplined... Competitive... Aggressive... Selected All-Pac Ten first team for the 2010 season... Reminds me a lot of Jarret Johnson.

Negatives: Lacks a great first step... Not real explosive or sudden... Does not shed blocks very well... Marginal body control and slow/choppy change of direction agility... Does not show many counter moves... Can be controlled by bigger OTs at POA... Very straight-line type of athlete... Will over-run the ball in the backfield... Sprained ankle kept him out of a three games as a junior, had just two sacks in 2009.

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rank...oks-reed.shtml

I need to see more of this guy than just the Senior Bowl practices/game. What I saw from him there was good, but not good enough to have him shoot up boards and end up in the bottom of the first round. I'm not buying the hype yet.

Here is a question, how much better of a prospect was Clay Matthews?? Was he thought as a 1st rounder??

Is Brooks Reed a guy that could be a starter day 1 and be a productive pass rusher???

Who was a better prospect, Brooks Reed or Koa Misi??

Is Reed a guy that could end up being more productive in the NFL being a OLB and be a 10+ sack guy??

If Reed has a good combine and shows that hes fluid, runs a good time, and all that why is he not a late 1st round player?? The Jets don't have a 2nd round pick..
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 01-31-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    this is a true statement... the Jets will hope that Ryan Kerrigan and Cameron Heyward drop... but Reed is a great player to have in your back pocket just in case no one really excellent drops to 30.
    Supposedly,Jets met with Kerrigan after one of the practices.Really liked him,but probably will be gone by our pick. Just say no to Heyward...can't afford anymore over-rated and over hyped Ohio State defensive players; see Katzenmoyer,Carpenter,Schlegel,Gholston.

Quote Originally Posted by WeeZiTe View Post
    I need to see more of this guy than just the Senior Bowl practices/game. What I saw from him there was good, but not good enough to have him shoot up boards and end up in the bottom of the first round. I'm not buying the hype yet.
    Taylor and Reed are exactly why we NEED to trade down in this draft. Guys will be falling that would normally be late 1st or early 2nd round picks, simply due to the position being so stacked this year.

Draft value chart estimates getting a 3rd round pick if you move from 30 to the mid 2nd round. Reed and Taylor will both be in that mid 2nd range....hopefully reed actually has a poor combine which keeps him down.

Gonna be tough to find 2 impact defensive players without really wheeling and dealing....

Jets Insider VIP
    Do you guys think Peyton Hillis and Clay Matthews are changing scouts views in evaluating white players?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Taylor and Reed are exactly why we NEED to trade down in this draft. Guys will be falling that would normally be late 1st or early 2nd round picks, simply due to the position being so stacked this year.

Draft value chart estimates getting a 3rd round pick if you move from 30 to the mid 2nd round. Reed and Taylor will both be in that mid 2nd range....hopefully reed actually has a poor combine which keeps him down.

Gonna be tough to find 2 impact defensive players without really wheeling and dealing....
    I'd be ecstatic to come away with Taylor AND Reed, but as of right now I'd be disappointed to come away with either of them in the late first round. Trading down always sounds like a great idea, but we never do it. It's something that we really need to look into this year because the value in the second and third rounds looks amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Do you guys think Peyton Hillis and Clay Matthews are changing scouts views in evaluating white players?

....No? Is this a trap?

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    ....No? Is this a trap?
    Indeed it was... you RACIST!!

All League
    wouldn't this be a good reason to trade out of the first round and pick him in the early second round?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    wouldn't this be a good reason to trade out of the first round and pick him in the early second round?
    ideally yes... but 30 is basically an early 2nd round pick

Jets Insider VIP
    ideally yes... but 30 is basically an early 2nd round pick
    Exactly.

If the Jets have Reed graded out as a Top 35-45 pick, then does it really make any difference if they take him at #30?