Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something no one is taking about?

Something no one is taking about?

[url]http://www.good.is/post/more-us-soldiers-killed-themselves-than-died-in-combat-in-2010[/url]

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="3"]More U.S. Soldiers Killed Themselves Than Died in Combat in 2010[/SIZE][/B]

[IMG]http://pre.cloudfront.goodinc.com/posts/full_1296096644soldiers_001.png[/IMG]

For the second year in a row, more American soldiers—both enlisted men and women and veterans—committed suicide than were killed in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Excluding accidents and illness, 462 soldiers died in combat, while 468 committed suicide. A difference of six isn't vast by any means, but the symbolism is significant and troubling. In 2009, there were 381 suicides by military personnel, a number that also exceeded the number of combat deaths.

Earlier this month, military authorities announced that suicides amongst active-duty soldiers had slowed in 2010, while suicides amongst reservists and people in the National Guard had increased. It was proof, they said, that the frequent psychological screenings active-duty personnel receive were working, and that reservists and guardsmen, who are more removed from the military's medical bureaucracy, simply need to begin undergoing more health checks. This new data, that American soldiers are now more dangerous to themselves than the insurgents, flies right in the face of any suggestion that things are "working." Even if something's working, the system is still very, very broken.

One of the problems hindering the military's attempt to address soldier suicides is that there's no real rhyme or reason to what kind of soldier is killing himself. While many suicide victims are indeed afflicted with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after facing heavy combat in the Middle East, many more have never even been deployed. Of the 112 guardsmen who committed suicide last year, more than half had never even left American soil.

[B]"If you think you know the one thing that causes people to commit suicide, please let us know,” Army Vice Chief of Staff General Peter Chiarelli told the Army Times, "because we don't know what it is." [/B][/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 01-31-2011 at 08:20 PM.

You're quite right.

No one is talking about the Iraq and Afganistan Wars, or the Americans still fighting and dying there.

Matter of fact, I have no idea how many we've lost since Obama took office, or how we're doing.

You'd think such things would be covered by our media more, wouldn't you? It used to be, I wonder what happened......

It can't help when this guy is your on-base psychiatrist:

[IMG]http://www.wtaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/nidal_hasan.jpg[/IMG]

Warfish is quite right, though. I remember a time when the weekly death totals were broadcasted on every prime-time news show. Now... what? Are we still at war? Solar panel roof shingles? Sounds good to me.

At least Obama hasn't let Afghanistan turn into his Vietnam, a la LBJ. He's just taken a cold, distant approach to it.
    Last edited by JetsFan2012; 01-31-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Cindy Sheehan :dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    Soldiers serve...and then get screwed.

"We know you have PTSD...but we're thinking you had that before and it's not related to your service, so we're not going to help you with that. In fact, we need you back in Iraq. Have a nice day."

Instead of lip service, moments of silence during f*cking baseball games and magnets for SUV's, something should be done to secure the mental well being of people who sacrificed their mental health to keep us secure.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3946129]You're quite right.

No one is talking about the Iraq and Afganistan Wars, or the Americans still fighting and dying there.

Matter of fact, I have no idea how many we've lost since Obama took office, or how we're doing.

You'd think such things would be covered by our media more, wouldn't you? It used to be, I wonder what happened......[/QUOTE]

Its amazing....there used to ba an "Anti-War Protest" that happened every weekend at Currie Park here in West Palm Beach. Every saturday and sunday, rain or shine, I would drive by the Park and see dozens of people waving "Peace" signs and "No War for Oil" signs down along Flagler Drive.

Since January of '09? Nothing. Nobody there. Just the homeless and aimless hanging out enjoying there view of the intercoastal and Palm Beach. I guess the wars are over and the troops home? :huh:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3946129]You're quite right.

You'd think such things would be covered by our media more, wouldn't you? It used to be, I wonder what happened......[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jet_Engine1;3949131]Its amazing....there used to ba an "Anti-War Protest" that happened every weekend at Currie Park here in West Palm Beach. Every saturday and sunday, rain or shine, I would drive by the Park and see dozens of people waving "Peace" signs and "No War for Oil" signs down along Flagler Drive.

Since January of '09? Nothing. Nobody there. Just the homeless and aimless hanging out enjoying there view of the intercoastal and Palm Beach. I guess the wars are over and the troops home? :huh:[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, American soldier deaths in the past couple of years have gone down dramatically. Also, you can't look past our current economic situation which began around the time Obama took office. In my opinion, poor economic conditions and high unemployment numbers have shifted the focus of the American public and media more so than administration change.

[QUOTE=parafly;3949179]In all fairness, American soldier deaths in the past couple of years have gone down dramatically. Also, you can't look past our current economic situation which began around the time Obama took office. In my opinion, poor economic conditions and high unemployment numbers have shifted the focus of the American public and media more so than administration change.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like deflection...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3949361]Sounds like deflection...[/QUOTE]

In a way, it is a bit of a deflection. Post 9-11, the focus of the American public and media was security and two waging wars. After the near financial collapse in 2008, the focus shifted toward the economy.

The media definitely plays a role in what is the big story of the moment, but let's not pretend like public sentiment and big picture concerns don't play a huge part as well. When you combine the economic state of the country with the considerably smaller number of U.S. causalities in the wars, it's not a big surprise that war coverage has gone down drastically.

Just my opinion, but the state of the economy is a much bigger factor here than an administration change and a supposed media conspiracy.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parafly;3949179]In all fairness, American soldier deaths in the past couple of years have gone down dramatically. Also, you can't look past our current economic situation which began around the time Obama took office. In my opinion, poor economic conditions and high unemployment numbers have shifted the focus of the American public and media more so than administration change.[/QUOTE]

i believe 2010 was the deadliest year on record for American GI's in Afgahnistan, second to 2009- that pie chart is dead wrong....

[QUOTE=parafly;3949374]In a way, it is a bit of a deflection. Post 9-11, the focus of the American public and media was security and two waging wars. After the near financial collapse in 2008, the focus shifted toward the economy.

The media definitely plays a role in what is the big story of the moment, but let's not pretend like public sentiment and big picture concerns don't play a huge part as well. When you combine the economic state of the country with the considerably smaller number of U.S. causalities in the wars, it's not a big surprise that war coverage has gone down drastically.

Just my opinion, but the state of the economy is a much bigger factor here than an administration change and a supposed media conspiracy.[/QUOTE]

So you feel the media is just as hard on Obama for the economy/unemployment as they were on Bush for the war, right?

I mean, it's just a CHANGE of focus, not a bias in how that focus is portrayed, right?:rolleyes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3949449]i believe 2010 was the deadliest year on record for American GI's in Afgahnistan, second to 2009- that pie chart is dead wrong....[/QUOTE]

True, but combined American deaths from both wars are down big time.

war in afghanistan was and is far less controversial than the war in iraq. and according to this website. 60 U.S. military members died in combat in 2010 in Iraq. Between 2004-2007 over 800 U.S. military members died each year, over 900 in 2007.

[url]http://icasualties.org/iraq/index.aspx[/url]
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-03-2011 at 07:02 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=OCCH;3949458]So you feel the media is just as hard on Obama for the economy/unemployment as they were on Bush for the war, right?[/QUOTE]

Of course not, but then again, the economy started to spiral downward while Bush was still President. The wars were optionally started by Bush, Obama inherited this crap economy. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parafly;3949472]Of course not, but then again, the economy started to spiral downward while Bush was still President. The wars were optionally started by Bush, Obama inherited this crap economy. :yes:[/QUOTE]

and Bush did not inherit a crappy situation which stemmed from Afgahnistan in which he "optionally" started a war???

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3949477]and Bush did not inherit a crappy situation which stemmed from Afgahnistan in which he "optionally" started a war???[/QUOTE]

Afghanistan yes, Iraq no.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3949477]and Bush did not inherit a crappy situation which stemmed from Afgahnistan in which he "optionally" started a war???[/QUOTE]

Bush did not inherit the wars, and he started both of them under his watch. Criticism of the war in Afghanistan was minimal during Bush's term. If anything, opposition to the Afghanistan War has gone up under Obama.

Inheriting a domestic economic disaster is not even close to the same level as "inheriting" a Taliban situation half way across the globe.

[QUOTE=parafly;3949488]Bush did not inherit the wars, and he started both of them under his watch. Criticism of the war in Afghanistan was minimal during Bush's term. If anything, opposition to the Afghanistan War has gone up under Obama.

Inheriting a domestic economic disaster is not even close to the same level as "inheriting" a Taliban situation half way across the globe.[/QUOTE]

So your stance is the media has always just reported things objectively with no bias against Bush or Pro-Obama.

You're entitled to your opinion -- I just have difficulty believing it . . .

All Pro
    [QUOTE=OCCH;3949499]So your stance is the media has always just reported things objectively with no bias against Bush or Pro-Obama.

You're entitled to your opinion -- I just have difficulty believing it . . .[/QUOTE]

I believe there is a bit of bias, but it's blown out of proportion.

The bias against Bush ... well, he did that too himself. It's hard to defend the guy in most aspects.

The bias for Obama ... It was very strong pre-election, but I would say it's been basically neutral during his Presidency.

Para, can you define "Started the War" in terms of the U.S./Afganistan-Taliban Conflict

Thanks.