Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something no one is taking about?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3950077]Para, can you define "Started the War" in terms of the U.S./Afganistan-Taliban Conflict

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Seems off topic to me, but the answer is straightforward.

1) 9-11 attacks on U.S.
    2) U.S. led retaliation/regime change in Afghanistan against Al-Qaeda and Taliban.

[QUOTE=parafly;3950099]Seems off topic to me[/quote]

Ironic, given the nature of this place.

[quote]but the answer is straightforward.

1) 9-11 attacks on U.S.
    2) U.S. led retaliation/regime change in Afghanistan against Al-Qaeda and Taliban.[/QUOTE]

So G.W. Bush "optionally [B][U]started[/U][/B]" the War in Afganistan, by....the 9-11 attack on the U.S.

Please, can you explain that. Because on it's face, I fail to understand how G.W. Bush "optionally started" a War by, apparently, allowing us to be attacked on 9-11. By the same line of logic, did FDR "Start" WWII by ? the Pearl Harbour attack?

Thank you for your clarification in advance.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3950109]Ironic, given the nature of this place.

So G.W. Bush "optionally [B][U]started[/U][/B]" the War in Afganistan, by....the 9-11 attack on the U.S.

Please, can you explain that. Because on it's face, I fail to understand how G.W. Bush "optionally started" a War by, apparently, allowing us to be attacked on 9-11. By the same line of logic, did FDR "Start" WWII by ? the Pearl Harbour attack?

Thank you for your clarification in advance.[/QUOTE]

Our military retaliation and strategy was one of choice. Are you suggesting the Commander in Chief's hands were completely tied and there was only one possible way to enter into this war? Only one method of attack and one solution on the table?

Bush did not "start" the war in terms of who attacked who first. He "started" the war by engaging our nation and troops in the manner of his choice: invasion, regime change, nation building.

[QUOTE=parafly;3950133]Our military retaliation was one of choice.[/quote]

I love watching people rewrite history hoping no one will notice....

[QUOTE]Bush did not "start" the war in terms of who attacked who first.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3950164]I love watching people rewrite history hoping no one will notice....[/QUOTE]

Nothing being rewritten, just wasn't clear enough in my original statement.

Not that it really has anything to do with the topic. I guess it's a way to deflect from the topic at hand.

[QUOTE=parafly;3950195]I guess it's a way to deflect from the topic at hand.[/QUOTE]

You'd certainly know about that, wouldn't you Para.

[QUOTE=parafly;3949179]In all fairness, American soldier deaths in the past couple of years have gone down dramatically.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=parafly;3949374]In a way, it is a bit of a deflection.[/quote]

;)

[QUOTE]The media definitely plays a role in what is the big story of the moment[/QUOTE]

From my perspective, the thread was over and correctly addresses by post #2. "No one is talking about it" because "no one" knows, because "no one" is reporting it the way it was Pre-Obama.

One of the simplest to answer OP's in a long, long time round here. As clear cut as it comes.

i guess sending troops into afghanistan after 9/11 was a choice, but it was an easy one.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3950207]One of the simplest to answer OP's in a long, long time round here. As clear cut as it comes.[/QUOTE]

My point is that it's not so clear cut. I know many people on the right would prefer to wear their tin foil hats and blame it all on a vast media conspiracy, but I think there is an alternative and logical explanation which points in another direction.

Decrease in casualties + near economic collapse domestically = decrease in war coverage

But by all means, continue to focus on media bias and conspiracy while completely ignoring all other factors if it suits your fancy.

All League
    Killing Al Qaeda was not a choice.

The invasion, nation building and policing of Afghanistan [I]was[/I] a choice.

We couldn't have just parked a Carrier Group in the Arabian Sea and bombed Al Qaeda training camps / sent in special forces for high level targets?

I don't mind the direction thisn thread went, but my main purpose for it was the fact that so many our men and women are killing themselves, to point more are dying of suicide than of actual combat. This needs to be addressed.

468 suicides in 2010. That to me, is a huge number.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3954996]I don't mind the direction thisn thread went, but my main purpose for it was the fact that so many our men and women are killing themselves, to point more are dying of suicide than of actual combat. This needs to be addressed.

468 suicides in 2010. That to me, is a huge number.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Tragically high.

We're not doing enough at home to prevent these suicides...

That tragedy falls directly on the people in power at the time...

Makes me pretty sick, to be honest.

[QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3955813]I agree. Tragically high.

We're not doing enough at home to prevent these suicides...

[B]That tragedy falls directly on the people in power at the time... [/B]

Makes me pretty sick, to be honest.[/QUOTE]

Don't think it's fair for anyone one person should to be blamed, be it Sec. Gates or Rumsfeld or Pres. Obama or Bush. This is systematic problem. I don't see anything to be gained by placing blame, it simply needs to be addressed and hasn't for years now. These wars have been going on for a very long time and the same very few people have been giving the burden to fight it. Too much is being asked. I'd be interested in seeing how many tours these guys have gone through before they offed themselves.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-09-2011 at 11:13 PM.

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3954996]I don't mind the direction thisn thread went, but my main purpose for it was the fact that so many our men and women are killing themselves, to point more are dying of suicide than of actual combat. This needs to be addressed.

468 suicides in 2010. That to me, is a huge number.[/QUOTE]

Well, 1 is a big number, honestly, when it comes to this.

But it's hard to really judge it in real terms, without knowing a multitude of other stats, like how many did it in previous years, previous wars, peacetime, wartime, etc, etc, etc.

It sure sounds like alot. And even 1, it 1 too many. As a person who's dealth with suicide, trust me, 1 is too much.

But to judge the "ig picture", I'd need to know alot more to pass any reasonable judgement as to "how bad" it is in relation.