Thread: The Solar Roadway

The Solar Roadway

A brilliant idea. If...it can be done affordably, after all aspects are considered.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/02/02/solar-powered-glass-road-melt-snow-automatically/[/url]

I should add, in this new era of universal support for Federal "mandate" laws, that Obama and Congress hould hop all over this.

To pay for it, simply mandate that all Americans must buy "Solar Road Shares" each year, or face a "tax" and/or jailtime if they fail to pay.

After all, Healthcare may be desperately needed, right? But so is (according to Obama and many others) our Crumbling Infrastructure, Need to Get off Foreign Oil, and to provide Jobs.

This brilliant idea does all three.

How could anyone not support a Solar Road Mandate?

All Pro
    Interesting concept although I'm not sure about it's practicality due to overwhelming investment and cost. Why not start with experimenting on new roads and highways, and see where it goes from there?

[QUOTE=Warfish;3948170]I should add, in this new era of universal support for Federal "mandate" laws, that Obama and Congress hould hop all over this.[/QUOTE]

LOL at universal support for Federal mandates. The courts and people are split. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;3948127]A brilliant idea. If...it can be done affordably, after all aspects are considered.

[URL]http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2011/02/02/solar-powered-glass-road-melt-snow-automatically/[/URL][/QUOTE]I love thinking like this. And in a season with no snow, you bank the energy and decrease dependency on fossil fuels. Brilliant!

[QUOTE=isired;3948208]I love thinking like this. And in a season with no snow, you bank the energy and decrease dependency on fossil fuels. Brilliant![/QUOTE]

Thats seems to be the theory, aye.

If you think about it, roads take up a huge amount of square milage in the U.S. If the idea is proven to work, it does seem to hold a ton of promise.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;3948219]Thats seems to be the theory, aye.

If you think about it, roads take up a huge amount of square milage in the U.S. If the idea is proven to work, it does seem to hold a ton of promise.[/QUOTE]It's either that or hovercrafts ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    I invented this in the 5th grade.

the reason I don't like this idea, Is cause within 10 years there will be a better implementation for solar: Paint

[url]http://www.coolhunting.com/tech/nano-solar-pain.php[/url]

[url]http://cleantechnica.com/2009/08/31/printable-and-paintable-solar-cells-make-production-more-affordable/[/url]

It seems more feasible to me to have big paint trucks spraying the road every year or two rather than replace the road with solar tiles.

Practice Squad
    funny, I was thinking about the potential of solar paint when I first saw this thread but didn't think of a way to fit it into the conversation.

By the way, Warfish, do you think that some of your points in this thread, for investing in roads, contradict some of the points you were making in another thread, for investing in railroads (and not roads). Maybe you just like the overall idea of investing in infrastructure, which isn't necessarily a bad idea?

[QUOTE=majormajor42;3953832]funny, I was thinking about the potential of solar paint when I first saw this thread but didn't think of a way to fit it into the conversation.

By the way, Warfish, do you think that some of your points in this thread, for investing in roads, contradict some of the points you were making in another thread, for investing in railroads (and not roads). Maybe you just like the overall idea of investing in infrastructure, which isn't necessarily a bad idea?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, missed this reply when this was fresh.

Yes, I am a strong supporter of Infrastructure Investment, of many kinds. Roads, Rails, both have a very valuble role in our Nation, and are some of the best examples of a societal investment ill suited for "pure" capitalism.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3955777]Sorry, missed this reply when this was fresh.

Yes, I am a strong supporter of Infrastructure Investment, of many kinds. Roads, Rails, both have a very valuble role in our Nation, and are some of the best examples of a societal investment ill suited for "pure" capitalism.[/QUOTE]

What's your take on the high speed rail plan the White House announced yesterday?

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3955778]What's your take on the high speed rail plan the White House announced yesterday?[/QUOTE]

Not a fan.

Not because I have any problems with HSR, per se, although it faces absolutely crushing obstacles in a Nation the size (and political neccessity-service-filled) as the US.

Not a fan because I think the money would be vastly better spent on the most useful rail service, commuter heavy rail, light rail and similar. Long Distance Travel by rail is (in the era of flight) not the best choice, even at HSR speeds. Commuter Rail, Light Rail and Subway services vastly improve the quality of life of the Cities they serve, take whole lanes of traffic off the already over-loaded local interstate and highway systems of our major cities, and is a huge environmental emissions savings on a passenger-mile basis.

Long distance....is a political football, not a real useful service. I'd dump HSR, and focus on providing existing cities with new commuter/light/subway systems, and ensure than any growing new cities have them designed in from the start.

If I need to get to California, I'll take a place. It'll always be faster, and on a costs basis, not that different than a HSR train could be in the best of circumstances. Rail thrives locally. Not (In the US) Nationally.

It's also a dead-idea-walking, because they'll expect (and some would demand) it break-even. Never going to happen, period. Not possible, never has been, never will be.

It cannot be forgotten, that all the big HSR services on Earth are in Nations barely the size of an averge US State. "long distance" to them isn;t long distance to us, and thats a meaningful difference. No, dump the idealism, fund the real-world useful (but not pretty) local services.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3955966]Not a fan.

Not because I have any problems with HSR, per se, although it faces absolutely crushing obstacles in a Nation the size (and political neccessity-service-filled) as the US.

Not a fan because I think the money would be vastly better spent on the most useful rail service, commuter heavy rail, light rail and similar. Long Distance Travel by rail is (in the era of flight) not the best choice, even at HSR speeds. Commuter Rail, Light Rail and Subway services vastly improve the quality of life of the Cities they serve, take whole lanes of traffic off the already over-loaded local interstate and highway systems of our major cities, and is a huge environmental emissions savings on a passenger-mile basis.

Long distance....is a political football, not a real useful service. I'd dump HSR, and focus on providing existing cities with new commuter/light/subway systems, and ensure than any growing new cities have them designed in from the start.

If I need to get to California, I'll take a place. It'll always be faster, and on a costs basis, not that different than a HSR train could be in the best of circumstances. Rail thrives locally. Not (In the US) Nationally.

It's also a dead-idea-walking, because they'll expect (and some would demand) it break-even. Never going to happen, period. Not possible, never has been, never will be.

It cannot be forgotten, that all the big HSR services on Earth are in Nations barely the size of an averge US State. "long distance" to them isn;t long distance to us, and thats a meaningful difference. No, dump the idealism, fund the real-world useful (but not pretty) local services.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the particulars of your proposed HSR system and I agree that it would be a complete wast of money to build a line betweeen the coasts.

But I think it would do tremendously well for short flights like San Fran-LA, Baltimore-DC-Philly-NY-Boston where the time you spend in an airport (I assume so because its that way in Turkey) is more than the the time you spend actually flying. And when you take into account the inevitable commute to and from the airport, airport traffic, time spent at the airport and actual flight time a HSR would probably be the less time consuming and more convenient option, no?

Additionally it would also take some of the traffic off the flights and airports.
    Last edited by The Turk; 02-10-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Turk;3956035]I don't know about the particulars of your proposed HSR system and I agree that it would be a complete wast of money to build a line betweeen the coasts.

But I think it would do tremendously well for short flights like San Fran-LA, Baltimore-DC-Philly-NY-Boston where the time you spend in an airport (I assume so because its that way in Turkey) is more than the the time you spend actually flying. And when you take into account the inevitable commute to and from the airport, airport traffic, time spent at the airport and actual flight time a HSR would probably be the less time consuming and more convenient option, no?

Additionally it would also take some of the traffic off the flights and airports.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed.

With our HSR, you do Paris-Marseille (400 miles) in 3 hours. The same trip by plane is 1h20 min. As Turk said, add to that, going to the airport (outside the city vs. in the city for a train station), getting early for check in...etc, it's definitely worth it even though 'it feels' like a longer trip since you're in the train longer than you're in the plane.

Train is also more comfy.