Thread: Astronomers have cracked the Milky Way like a piñata

Practice Squad

Astronomers have cracked the Milky Way like a piñata

"Astronomers have cracked the Milky Way like a piñata, and planets are now pouring out so fast that they don’t know what to do with them all."

While up to now, there have only been a few hundred exo-solar planets discovered, today they announced the discovery of 1200 more.

Quite a few are nearly Earth sized, some others are in the habitable zone of their stars. A few are nearly Earth sized and in the habitable zone (where liquid water can exist).

Great news for humanity on a day of riots, cyclones and snow storms.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    Quite a few are nearly Earth sized, some others are in the habitable zone of their stars. A few are nearly Earth sized and in the habitable zone (where liquid water can exist).
    Here's the flipside.

Wonder if on one of those earth sized planets, there is a race of beings f*****g everything in their path up... and looking at our planet as a nice place to escape to when they completely screw it up.

We'll prolly pass their spaceship... in our spaceship... on the way to eachothers F****d up planets.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Here's the flipside.

Wonder if on one of those earth sized planets, there is a race of beings f*****g everything in their path up... and looking at our planet as a nice place to escape to when they completely screw it up.

We'll prolly pass their spaceship... in our spaceship... on the way to eachothers F****d up planets.

at least they won't be stupider than us....

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Here's the flipside.

Yeah, but do they have universal healthcare?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I have a place upstate, in the middle of nowhere (no light pollution)...one of the kids' favorite things to do is lay in the field on a clear night and look at the stars. It's amazing...the Milky Way is a broad white stripe across the sky -- almost more light spots than dark background...you don't have to look for more than a couple of minutes to see "shooting stars"...the ridiculous amount of stars you can see in the sky vs. the few stragglers you can see from here on L.I. is amazing.

Anyway, my question is, have the bizarro Jets won the bizarro Superbowl on any of those other planets?

Hall Of Fame
    ...today they announced the discovery of 1200 more...
    Coolest news story I've read in a while.

Thanks for the link....

Hall Of Fame
    piñata
    Finally, a correctly used ~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I have a place upstate, in the middle of nowhere (no light pollution)...one of the kids' favorite things to do is lay in the field on a clear night and look at the stars. It's amazing...the Milky Way is a broad white stripe across the sky -- almost more light spots than dark background...you don't have to look for more than a couple of minutes to see "shooting stars"...the ridiculous amount of stars you can see in the sky vs. the few stragglers you can see from here on L.I. is amazing.

Anyway, my question is, have the bizarro Jets won the bizarro Superbowl on any of those other planets?
    My parents have a house up in the Catskills as well. I spend a week up there every summer. Better than any paid vacation.

When we're up there, my wife and I tend to sit outside and watch the stars at night just like your kids do. It's truly beautiful.

Hall Of Fame
    Is Earth in Federation space or Kligon space?

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post

If you or anyone with you has an android device, try the Google Sky Map app. It's awesome - point it at the sky, and it will tag the stars in view - want to find a particular constellation, planet, etc., tell it and it will guide you to find it in the sky. The kids love it.

Hall Of Fame
    Let's hope some of those planets don't subscribe to the Prime Directive. This planet bores the ish out of me.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    If you or anyone with you has an android device, try the Google Sky Map app. It's awesome - point it at the sky, and it will tag the stars in view - want to find a particular constellation, planet, etc., tell it and it will guide you to find it in the sky. The kids love it.
    on iPhone it is called "Star Walk" the picture of the day function is pretty neato, too.

All League
    But can they dance, rap, blow eachother in the name of god. That would be one boring planet!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    But can they dance, rap, blow eachother in the name of god. That would be one boring planet!
    They have delicious bundt cake recipes though....

All League

Watch it!

***disclaimer*** this has nothing to with this thread, except of course, anything space related prompts my brain to wander off and think about this epic show.

Practice Squad

This video was made using Hayden Planetarium's Digital Universe. You can download DU onto your computer and fly around the solarsystem/galaxy/universe. There is a feature when flying around the galaxy for highlighting the stars that we have discovered that have planets around them. I doubt this latest group is included though.

I'm thinking of DU because of the Battlestar Galactica comment. In DU you can show the outlines for the constellations. Then, as you fly around our small neighborhood of the galaxy, the constellations become all skewed. I remember that there were a few episodes of Galactica where they had to find Taurus or something, and that would help them find Earth. Makes me wonder if people will really navigate like this one day.

And google sky map is cool too. ~
    Last edited by majormajor42; 02-04-2011 at 09:53 PM.