Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore Roster

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Baltimore Roster

You can learn by observing other teams that run the 3/4 defense. I was looking at the Ravens roster and look at the size and quantity they have on the dline.

Kelly Talavou 6'2" 350
    Corey Redding 6'4" 292
    Haloti Ngata 6'4" 350
    Brandon McKinney 6'2" 350
    Arthur Jones 6'3" 313
    Kelly Greg 6' 320
    Lamar Divens 6'3" 343
    Terrence Cody 6'4" 349

It amazes me on how many large NT they have on the roster and how they develop them. remember they developed Ma'ake Kemoeatu who is 6'5" 364. Should we not use the practice squad to develop NT also.

Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go too crazy looking at Baltimore as the gold standard. We had a better ranked defense overall and better against the run too.

And we did have MTV on the practice squad most of the year to go along with Jenkins and Pouha at the NT position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not the size upfront that makes their front seven better than ours, it's the athletisism. Ngata, Suggs and Lewis are elite level athletes at their positions. Plus Suggs is one of the most feared pass rushers in the entire league, we do not have that kind of player.

We got enough one dimensional run stuffers who hold up front and we got enough big guys on the PS squad aswell. Dixon, Tevaseu and Gilbert all started to see time at the end of the season. We need difference makers in terms of pass rush and overall athletisism.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Don't go too crazy looking at Baltimore as the gold standard. We had a better ranked defense overall and better against the run too.

And we did have MTV on the practice squad most of the year to go along with Jenkins and Pouha at the NT position.
    And two of our big guys went down before the season or in the first game - Jenkins and Pitoitua who is quite an intimidating presence at 6-8 and 315...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    You can learn by observing other teams that run the 3/4 defense. I was looking at the Ravens roster and look at the size and quantity they have on the dline.

Kelly Talavou 6'2" 350
    Corey Redding 6'4" 292
    Haloti Ngata 6'4" 350
    Brandon McKinney 6'2" 350
    Arthur Jones 6'3" 313
    Kelly Greg 6' 320
    Lamar Divens 6'3" 343
    Terrence Cody 6'4" 349

It amazes me on how many large NT they have on the roster and how they develop them. remember they developed Ma'ake Kemoeatu who is 6'5" 364. Should we not use the practice squad to develop NT also.

Thoughts?
    It really hard to hide Big Bodies on the practice squad. Teams are always looking for guys with size. When there season is over teams will steal someone off your practice squad. Like the Bills did with Kellen Heard 6'5 355 . Take a flyer on a guy with taht kind of size. You want to develope a Dlineman you almost have to be willing to put them on your 53 man roster and deactivate for every game till hes ready.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    It's not the size upfront that makes their front seven better than ours, it's the athletisism. Ngata, Suggs and Lewis are elite level athletes at their positions. Plus Suggs is one of the most feared pass rushers in the entire league, we do not have that kind of player.

We got enough one dimensional run stuffers who hold up front and we got enough big guys on the PS squad aswell. Dixon, Tevaseu and Gilbert all started to see time at the end of the season. We need difference makers in terms of pass rush and overall athletisism.
    Agreed we need impact guys that make the D multi dimensional

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dixon is also pretty good the dou of him and price in the upright position s great

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The line is not the problem..Bart Scott is a huge issue...I can't believe they signed this guy for 6 years....if he played 50% as much as he talks we would be in decent shape....he is a major problem for this defense next year....he talks so much people just naturally think he's good....he is horrendous....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    The line is not the problem..Bart Scott is a huge issue...I can't believe they signed this guy for 6 years....if he played 50% as much as he talks we would be in decent shape....he is a major problem for this defense next year....he talks so much people just naturally think he's good....he is horrendous....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's really really not as has been documented in numerous debates on this board. I'd argue he's more important than Harris which always leads to heated debate with other posters. He sets the table for the other guys to make plays in the run game and he is elite in that regard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scott is a good player, not worth his contract but has a bigger impact onthe jets than Pace who gets paid as much.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    And two of our big guys went down before the season or in the first game - Jenkins and Pitoitua who is quite an intimidating presence at 6-8 and 315...
    I wonder how the AFCCG against Pittsburgh would've turned out if we had those two playing, or at least Jenkins....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...afc-east-team/

Pro Football Focus All AFC East Team
    Inside Linebacker

Bart Scott (New York Jets)

Tackle-count lovers will deride this pick over Jerod Mayo. Unfortunately there isnít a stat for blowing up blocks, but if there was then Bart Scott would lead it. He stops runners from going where they want to.
    Can't always judge players by the stat sheet... if that were the case, Revis wouldn't get paid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...afc-east-team/

Can't always judge players by the stat sheet... if that were the case, Revis wouldn't get paid.
    He is also ranked as the 3rd best ILB in the entire league (1st in run stopping) by PFF. After watching the games again, I'd have to agree with them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that he does a very good job against the running game ,but you don't give that kind of money to LB just to be a stop gap or someone just to take on blockers. If that is all he does then the guy next to him should be elite in which Harris isn't .Harris is good but he should be better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    I agree that he does a very good job against the running game ,but you don't give that kind of money to LB just to be a stop gap or someone just to take on blockers. If that is all he does then the guy next to him should be elite in which Harris isn't .Harris is good but he should be better.
    I disagree, everyone acts like taking on blocks is the same as not getting run over. Bart Scott blows up blocks and in essence blows up running plays keying our ridiculous run defense. Even in the Pitt game he was doing the same thing, but the problem was the "help D" if you will was sloppy and didn't finish off the gimme tackles.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I disagree, everyone acts like taking on blocks is the same as not getting run over. Bart Scott blows up blocks and in essence blows up running plays keying our ridiculous run defense. Even in the Pitt game he was doing the same thing, but the problem was the "help D" if you will was sloppy and didn't finish off the gimme tackles.
    No that is not what I meant.His job is too take on blockers so others can make the play. My point is you don't spend that kind of money on Scott just for that service. In my opinion we gave him that kind of contract not only to blow up plays but also to finish.I just think we over paid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No that is not what I meant.His job is too take on blockers so others can make the play. My point is you don't spend that kind of money on Scott just for that service. In my opinion we gave him that kind of contract not only to blow up plays but also to finish.I just think we over paid.
    Over paying? Probably

But in the 3-4 taking on blockers and knocking the TE off his route is exactly what the ILB is supposed to do. There are guys in the league with his skill set and size that can cover extremely well int he 3-4 but they were top 15 picks and have contracts just as large.

If our problem is Bart Scott then most would say our defense is probably from a superbowl champion team... but it's not so Scott isn't att he top of the list of problems.

A major problem we have is a passrush... which is the OLB

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think if you took away Bart Scott our run defense would go from borderline elite to middle of the pack. That's why I guess I have such a strong view on him. In creating that wall against the run, he also turns most teams into passing units. Which is what makes our D dangerous, the problem has been us finishing teams off when they have to pass every down. Our OLB are teh fail.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mean no offense to our DL, who are a scrappy bunch, but they don't get enough knocking for the lack of pass rush. The OLBs take alot of crap but Pace on the field and healthy is a beast, and Thomas is basically Jarrett Johnson without the white skin and the perks of that (GRITTY, SCRAPPY, GRINDER etc)...Not that Thomas isn't cuttable and shouldn't be replaced ASAP.

Improve the DL, improve the pass rush. It's basically the only unit on the team that's been untouched since '07...except for the Jenkins trade and he's played maybe 20 games here in 3 years...not surprisingly our pass rush steps it up a notch or three when he has been on the field.

Oh, and Bart Scott is our best LB. This D would fall apart without the guy, and his impact over the past two years has been just underrated by this fanbase. If Scott was as loud and obnoxious as Ray Lewis...and he can be...he'd be screaming his head off for a big mofo to open up some road for the LBs to travel...Lewis of course did this in '06 and the Ravens went out and traded up for that Ngata f*cker...Lewis' career receives a little renaissance and he has a great 5 year stretch after a decent at best for Ray Lewis 3-4 year stretch beforehand.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-08-2011 at 07:53 PM.