Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First one to fly the coop

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

First one to fly the coop

So, moving my older daughter up to Boston tomorrow. :(

When I say my oldest daughter, I mean my baby--the one, the sweetest, funny, always laughing, the glue that holds the family together. Whether she realizes it or not, the de facto Mom, even though she was in college these past 4 years.

Very strange feeling--so happy for her, she's growing up, moving forward with her life but never again to live under my roof. No texts in the afternoon "What are we having for dinner tonite", no going out to get her coffee on a saturday morning, no running errands together, none of the silly things we took for granted (well, I took for granted).

Oh, and a bigger Jet fan than about 95% of the posers on the Pfail Strip.

So weird, you've lived with this person every day for 22 years (save college), always dependant on each other, and now...she's gone.

I made a point of calling her every single day that she was away at college--missed ONE day her sophmore year and it still bums me out. And I'll still call her everyday, but she's not coming home again. This isn't college, this is life, this is forever.

Well, she'll come home again, but it will be as a visitor, and those visits I'll cherish, but it will always be different.

My parents and in-laws were spoiled--all their kids moved back to the NY metro area and they've enjoyed the company of their kids and grandkids for the past 25 years. Never dawned on me that all my kids wouldn't move back to this area--but I can't blame them. Hell, I don't even want to live here :D

Geebus, I'll get no comfort from you dooshnozzles but since I don't have her Mom to share this melancholy feeling with, figured you guys were good for a "Cool Story Bro" demotivational poster and a few p*ssy references.

But wait till your first one leaves and you realize that meal you just had was the last meal you will have together while all living under one roof and it'll hit even the hardest of you.

Hey, Boston is only 3+ hours away and I'll love going to visit her and I can't wait for her trips back home. And she said come hell or high water she's going to Jets opening day with me next September.

But still, damn.

_

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    And enemy territory to boot. LOL. ..... Congrats Stokes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious to see if your depression story was going to be worse than mine, and yeah, you pretty much kicked its ass, lol.

Hell mine are only 5 & 7 and I miss them terribly during the day at work, and thats only a few hours.

Maybe she'll maybe a rich Pats fan...and then divorce him and take him for all that he's worth... don't worry we'll all still be here to inspire you, instigate you, and insult you. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stokes my kids are 8 and 5. If Im lucky enough for them to be able to get through teen years, college, and now adulthood as well as you got your daughter through it than Ill be the happiest guy in the world. You did good. Be happy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thread is useless w/o pics.....:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well. You've given me something to think about for the next 21 years when my one year old daughter is ready to move out. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My daughter just turned 6 and time goes way too fast! You are a great father and should be proud.
    This commercial really hit me when I saw it.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qf8OGLqE1s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qf8OGLqE1s[/URL]

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I second the esteemed Peebag... pics?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been giving serious thought to moving back to Boston.

My mom would be sad like you to Stokes, don't feel bad.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    damn...tears in my eyes, I dread when this day arrives

hang in there Stokes, everyone flies the coop at some point

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Peebag;3949646]Thread is useless w/o pics.....:P[/QUOTE]

Goddammnit! I was just gonna post that. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cherish the fact you have such a close relationship with her.

And congrats on bringing up your kids after losing their Mom. :thumbup:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can I send my son to Boston with your daughter?

j/k...a little.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... why boston? :confused: ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My son is 19 and is already itching to "get his own place." I know, it's natural but still I dread the day. My daughter is only 12, so that day for her is still quite a way's off. But the time goes by SO fast!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The universe is constantly changing. Don't see this as a loss; just a change. :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boston you say?

No worries, I'll keep and eye on her. :winksmile

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing she's not staying there all that long. JMO, but Boston is a terrific college town, but as a young professional town, its not all that. Its very insular with most of the people there having been born there or in New England in general.

Unless she meets a guy from Boston and settles down, there's a fair chance she'll be back.

And even if she stays, Boston is a short drive/train ride away. Just be glad she didn't say that she was going to San Francisco for a year or two. That basically turns into forever real quick. And that's a tough haul for a quick, impromptu visit.

They grow up too friggin fast though, huh? My oldest one is 3.5 years old and I'm amazed at what he tells me everyday. (This morning he told me that the Steelers make him really mad because they got 24 and that he also doesn't like Peyton Manning.)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;3949633]So, moving my older daughter up to Boston tomorrow. :(

When I say my oldest daughter, I mean my baby--the one, the sweetest, funny, always laughing, the glue that holds the family together. Whether she realizes it or not, the de facto Mom, even though she was in college these past 4 years.

Very strange feeling--so happy for her, she's growing up, moving forward with her life but never again to live under my roof. No texts in the afternoon "What are we having for dinner tonite", no going out to get her coffee on a saturday morning, no running errands together, none of the silly things we took for granted (well, I took for granted).

Oh, and a bigger Jet fan than about 95% of the posers on the Pfail Strip.

So weird, you've lived with this person every day for 22 years (save college), always dependant on each other, and now...she's gone.

I made a point of calling her every single day that she was away at college--missed ONE day her sophmore year and it still bums me out. And I'll still call her everyday, but she's not coming home again. This isn't college, this is life, this is forever.

Well, she'll come home again, but it will be as a visitor, and those visits I'll cherish, but it will always be different.

My parents and in-laws were spoiled--all their kids moved back to the NY metro area and they've enjoyed the company of their kids and grandkids for the past 25 years. Never dawned on me that all my kids wouldn't move back to this area--but I can't blame them. Hell, I don't even want to live here :D

Geebus, I'll get no comfort from you dooshnozzles but since I don't have her Mom to share this melancholy feeling with, figured you guys were good for a "Cool Story Bro" demotivational poster and a few p*ssy references.

But wait till your first one leaves and you realize that meal you just had was the last meal you will have together while all living under one roof and it'll hit even the hardest of you.

Hey, Boston is only 3+ hours away and I'll love going to visit her and I can't wait for her trips back home. And she said come hell or high water she's going to Jets opening day with me next September.

But still, damn.

_[/QUOTE]

She's doing just what she's suppossed to. Congrats on raising an independent kid for now can go out on her own because of the solid foundation you gave her.

And guess what? She will miss you too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3949875]Boston you say?

No worries, I'll keep and eye on her. :winksmile[/QUOTE]
    :eek:
    [QUOTE=FF2;3949879]She's doing just what she's suppossed to. Congrats on raising an independent kid for now can go out on her own because of the solid foundation you gave her.

And guess what? She will miss you too.[/QUOTE]
    ...such a better answer lol