Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Hypothetical Question (A Divided America)

Total Hypothetical Question (A Divided America)

Let me ask you.

In a hypothetical situation, would you prefer a divided America (a two-state-solution, lol) where half the nation breaks off to be "The Liberal States of America" and half the "Conservative States of America".

Assume the two remain allied closely, acting as one in terms of foreign policy and other world relations, share a Millitary, currency, etc.

But say, one half is rules by the right. The other by the left. All citizens have teh right to live in either nationstate, and citizenship is duel.

Which would you live under? And how would you feel about it?

(Pre-warning, total BS thought-experiment question for a Friday afternoon of navelgazing fun).

Board Moderator
    Geographically speaking, how would this work?

Regardless of the above....if it came down to two states, a liberal and conservative one, I'd be pretty apprehensive about either entity and would probably make plans to head to the Canadian Rockies.

I really don't think as a citizen I'd be comfortable with either situation. Both sides have a number of policies that I may be interested in, but overall, I do not identify with either group and if it came down to such a choice, I'd be pretty despaired in settling for a state that really does not offer anything beneficial as an alternative to the current situation.

[QUOTE=Ha Ha Ha;3950049]Geographically speaking, how would this work?[/QUOTE]

For purposes of this little thread, chop the county in half however you like. North/South, East/West, and (most likely) TwinCoasts/Central.

no the union must be preserved.

but just to explore the idea, the red states don't seem to realize this (or maybe they do but don't care) but economically the blue states carry all the water.

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://www.thepatriotaxe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/jesusland_map1.gif[/IMG]

:D

Banned
    No. You need both sides to temper one another.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;3950055]no the union must be preserved.

but just to explore the idea, the red states don't seem to realize this (or maybe they do but don't care) but economically the blue states carry all the water.[/QUOTE]

lol-

the red states produce almost all the food and have most of the oil reserves....you can move wall street to Dallas...the bread basket ain't going anywhere neither are the oil fields in the gulf or Alaska...good luck...
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 02-04-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Perhaps the better question is if we divided the nation into THIRDS (with a section being "independent") what section would people choose?

Then you would know who the "true" conservatives/liberals are vs. the people who decide based on the issue.

I admit I would take the conservative route. Compromise may SOUND good, but when you're truly led by your convictions it isn't usually a realistic goal. . .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3950055]no the union must be preserved.

but just to explore the idea, the red states don't seem to realize this (or maybe they do but don't care) but economically the blue states carry all the water.[/QUOTE]

F that.

We get 90% of the nations fresh water, 92% of the nation's fresh produce, 95% of the best wine, 90% of the high tech industry, a 22% lower divorce rate and 85% of venture capitalists and entrepreneurs.

They get 88% of obese Americans, 92% of all the mosquitoes, 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes and 99% of Baptists and televangelists.

[QUOTE=Warfish;3950039]Let me ask you.

In a hypothetical situation, would you prefer a divided America (a two-state-solution, lol) where half the nation breaks off to be "The Liberal States of America" and half the "Conservative States of America".

Assume the two remain allied closely, acting as one in terms of foreign policy and other world relations, share a Millitary, currency, etc.

But say, one half is rules by the right. The other by the left. All citizens have teh right to live in either nationstate, and citizenship is duel.

(Pre-warning, total BS thought-experiment question for a Friday afternoon of navelgazing fun).[/QUOTE]

shared military wouldn't work. the left and right are too divided on the use of the military.

cool thread otherwise. it would be hard to just slash the country in half bc it's not that simply. conservative states are mostly in the south and everything between washington state and minnesota in the north. also what would we do about swing states? like florida and ohio.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.

I would have my legal residence in a red state and live in a blue state.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I don't think I could choose - either side, left unchecked by the other, would be unbearable. But if you removed all those that could commit one way or the other, I think what's left would be pretty good!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3950192]I would have my legal residence in a red state and live in a blue state.[/QUOTE]Literally, LOL. If I was drinking soda, I'd be washing my monitor right now. Very good, on so many levels!

All Pro
    The BSA/LSA/QSA should pay its own freight and not continue to be a parasitic drain on the RSA/CSA/NSA...however as we defend Canada, Europe, etc. we could probably fit them in under the nuclear umbrella at the right price, paid in Euros or NAFTA dolares....

All League
    I would not want to live in a two-state America.

The two political ideologies need each other.

I would like to move the far right 10% of the righties and the far left 10% of the lefties to another planet.

Practice Squad
    I think that mainstream conservatives appreciate that liberals keep the more extreme fringes of the ultra conservatives in check, and mainstream progressives appreciate that conservatives keep the extreme liberals in check. they might never admit it however. But, if the country was split in two, I fear that it wouldn't remain a peaceful solution. All you would ever here about, after it is all worked out and the migrations come and go, is about the faults of the other country. Right now, most Americans (USA) don't really know much or care about the policies of Canada, even though we are next door neighbors. BUT, with a split U.S., I think all you would hear about is faults of the other U.S.

More importantly, what effect would this have on the NFL?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;3950128]F that.

We get 90% of the nations fresh water, 92% of the nation's fresh produce, 95% of the best wine, 90% of the high tech industry, a 22% lower divorce rate and 85% of venture capitalists and entrepreneurs.

[B]They get 88% of obese Americans, 92% of all the mosquitoes, 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes and 99% of Baptists and televangelists.[/B][/QUOTE]

They only have 3% of the teeth

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFroXQuiw4&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFroXQuiw4&NR=1[/URL]

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3950192]I would have my legal residence in a red state and live in a blue state.[/QUOTE]

Genius.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3950039]Let me ask you.

(Pre-warning, total BS thought-experiment question for a Friday afternoon of navelgazing fun).[/QUOTE]

I don't think that could even work remotely: the military would be staffed and funded completely by the CSA; forget about agreeing on world relations.

Where do libertarians live?