Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barcelona is Ass-Raping the Liga

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Death View Post
    You don't seem to be on the bandwagon, TJ & t W, which is fair enough - do you have a nominee in mind who to your thinking might be better than the current Barca team?
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I know you're just prodding, but on the road, in CL game agaist one of the better European teams, Barca dominated them..and lost. It's going to happen.

Barca will win the return game by +3 goals.
    I'm not going to pretend to have the type of soccer knowledge of you good folksbut , it's just a big pet-peeve of mine when teams are annointed best ever without actually winning anything

Barcel;ona is certainly loaded but to assert they are the best ever at this stage seems verfy silly to me.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I'm not going to pretend to have the type of soccer knowledge of you good folksbut , it's just a big pet-peeve of mine when teams are annointed best ever without actually winning anything

Barcel;ona is certainly loaded but to assert they are the best ever at this stage seems verfy silly to me.
    Mate, they are two times defending champions in La Liga (almost certainly will win it again this year), won the CL in 09 and only got bounced in the semi final because Mourinho had Inter play Catenaccio for 180 minutes because he realised the only way he was eliminating Barça was by buliding a wall and praying.

So, far from not actually winning anything they won every competition they played in 2009. I don't think that has ever been done before.

This is definitely not going to help the 'best-ever' believers.
    I'm not sure it's particularly relevant. There was only one player who played in the Barca game and the Leyton game.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Mate, they are two times defending champions in La Liga (almost certainly will win it again this year), won the CL in 09 and only got bounced in the semi final because Mourinho had Inter play Catenaccio for 180 minutes because he realised the only way he was eliminating Barça was by buliding a wall and praying.

So, far from not actually winning anything they won every competition they played in 2009. I don't think that has ever been done before.
    La Liga is a two team league, no? How much credit does Barca get for that vs any of the 22 other titles they have won over the years?

Anyway, I thought you were talking about THIS year's team as best ever. If you're going to bring up the '09 CL title, I think this is a different argument - one about greatest dynasties. But again, they should prbably win another CL before getting that crown too.

Just my opinion.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I'm not sure it's particularly relevant. There was only one player who played in the Barca game and the Leyton game.
    LOL. That's pretty funny actually.

La Liga is a two team league, no? How much credit does Barca get for that vs any of the 22 other titles they have won over the years?

Anyway, I thought you were talking about THIS year's team as best ever. If you're going to bring up the '09 CL title, I think this is a different argument - one about greatest dynasties. But again, they should prbably win another CL before getting that crown too.

Just my opinion.
    Preach it Denny!

Veteran

Just my opinion.
    Personally I welcome a different viewpoint - actually any viewvpoint - after months of dead air in the Soccer forum.

We were always talking about dynasties, the only competition to this years Barça for me anyway was late 80's early 90's Sacchi's Milan.

Yes it can be said that La Liga is a 2 team race but Barcelona are and have always been the second team in that race. So even if we discount the fact that they beat Real Madrid for the title you have to admit beating Real Madrid 6-2 - and it wasn't that close - in the Barnabeu to all but clinch the title is something special.

Also the Barça essentially hasn't changed since that out of this world 09 team. The only difference worth anything was changing Etoo with Ibrahimovic then changing him with Villa. The rest of the squad is pretty much the same.

Messi's finish was brilliant.

Never in a million years was that a red card. Arsenal were well and truly shafted there.

Penalty was fair.

Xavi's goal was nice.

Good result for Barca. Was hoping for an Arsenal victory.

All Pro
    Van Persie's second yellow was an absolute joke. The team was too tired to attack at the end as well. It's a shame wenger had to use an early sub on the keeper

Almunia needed to be relied upon too much in that game, and the fact of the matter is that he cannot be relied upon. Arsenal could do with investing in a new keeper in the summer.

Barca still would have came out on top, but I would have really liked to see the game play out without the bull**** yellow card on Van Persie.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Barca still would have came out on top, but I would have really liked to see the game play out without the bull**** yellow card on Van Persie.
    +1

and even after a half of dominance Arsenal nearly stole the tie in the last minute. If Bendner shoots first time instead of trying to control the cross after Leonardo I think it was made a horrendous mistake Barça was out.

Barça leave too many goals unscored this season. They are not as good as the 09 team but they're still better than anyone else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Really poor judgement by the ref for Van Persie’s 2nd yellow card. He killed the match right there. Still, I don’t think there was much Arsenal could have done (19 – 0 shots on goal).

What a team. 3-1, qualification in hand, and they still play like it’s 0-0.