Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NY Cosmos Attempting Revival with Cantona as GM

Jets Insider VIP

NY Cosmos Attempting Revival with Cantona as GM

Did this make any news in the US (relatively speaking of course)

Cantona returns as New York Cosmos director

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Former Manchester United great Eric Cantona has been appointed director of soccer at the resurgent New York Cosmos, the club said on Wednesday.

The Cosmos, a former powerhouse in the now-defunct North American Soccer League (NASL) who once boasted Pele and Franz Beckenbauer as players, folded in 1985 but relaunched last August, although as yet it has no players or stadium.

In a statement on the club website (www.newyorkcosmos.com), announcing his appointment, the Cosmos said the Frenchman would become their Director of Soccer.

He will have "overall responsibility for all soccer-related matters, which will include the proposed first team," it said.

Cantona, 44 was voted Manchester United's Player of the Century after retiring in 1997.

(Writing by Mike Collett in London; Editing by Kevin Fylan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX9R_Gsbu1s

That's pretty interesting. I didn't see this in the news anywhere. I wonder where they plan on playing.

If they can pull it off, they might be able to get a pretty big draw. Especially if they have a ring of honor ceremony or something with Pele and Beckenbauer and Chinaglia.

What a coincidence. I watched the movie Elizabeth this weekend, and was stunned to see Cantona in a fairly large role in the film. Always loved Cantona as a player. As an "actor", not so much.

As for the Cosmos: I went to many games back in the 70s (one which had over 80,000 spectators at the Meadowlands) and still have my old team jersey somewhere. What I don't understand is in what league the new Cosmos will play. MLS already has the Red Bulls in NY/NJ.

Jets Insider VIP
    I read that even they do build a sustainable business plan, they wouldn't be able to enter the US League until 2015 or something far away.

Any ways, it will be fun to see what kind of team Cantona could muster (sp?) up.

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    That's pretty interesting. I didn't see this in the news anywhere. I wonder where they plan on playing.

If they can pull it off, they might be able to get a pretty big draw. Especially if they have a ring of honor ceremony or something with Pele and Beckenbauer and Chinaglia.
    I think they plan on playing in Flushing Meadow Park.

This is actually pretty old news. The Cosmos will, most likely, be the 20th team in the MLS. They are expected to play in Queens near Citi Field.

It'll be interesting to see if the market can support two soccer teams. But I imagine this will lead to the Red Bulls relying on the Jersey/Harrison market, and Cosmos poaching most of the NYC market.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    This is actually pretty old news. The Cosmos will, most likely, be the 20th team in the MLS. They are expected to play in Queens near Citi Field.
    Is this mapped out already, like they would be an expansion team? When?

On a side note, and maybe some of the older posters (Borgo) could explain:

How did soccer, as a sport, go from packing 80 000 people in Giants stadium when pelé played there, to being a non-factor?

Do you guys think if they signed a few aging stars the stadium would be packed the same way?

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

How did soccer, as a sport, go from packing 80 000 people in Giants stadium when pelé played there, to being a non-factor?

Do you guys think if they signed a few aging stars the stadium would be packed the same way?
    If you want to know, look for a documentary called "Once in a Lifetime". It's all about the popularity of the Cosmos in the 70s. It's a really fantastic look at US soccer in the 70s.

The short answer was that Pele was a marketable star in the 70s, and people fell in love with him, but there was no staying power for the league. The Cosmos had all the stars, and the league was incredibly top-heavy, and since soccer isn't a big US sport. The popularity outside of NY was nothing.

After Pele, Best and a few of the other guys left. There was no growth of American players at all. THe big reason the MLS has such a low salary cap is to avoid the mistakes that the NASL made in the 70s. For ebtter or for worse.

Even has the MLS does become a more quality league, but not a top 10 league in Europe by any stretch, (probably equal to a Norway/Sweden type), and the league is able to bring in aging, but not used up stars, like Henry today and Beckham in 2007, the growth lies in the ability to grow US based players like Dempsey, Donovan, Bradley, and so on.
    The MLS does average about 12,000 people a game, which really isn't that bad, but the television ratings are a joke still. But the MLS is becoming a better league, and that's why you see more Americans (not a lot by any means) playing in Europe.
    Guys like Dempsey, Bradley, and Altidore developed their game in the US before moving over. Young players like Juan Algadore and Tim Ream are developing and playing with the US team in friendlies, and as they grow, will probably move over to Europe like most of the other top US Nationals (except for Donovan, who wanted a break, and proved that he can play top flight soccer with Everton last year).

Beckham's first game at the Meadowlands stadium drew 75,000, all the major US National games on US soil sell out, though many of them have large opponent presence (which is the nature of the US being an immigrant nation, and one of the big reasons everyone in the US was disappointed that we didn't get the 2022 World Cup).

I don't think the US will ever be a soccer nation like Europe or South America, but as they build more soccer specific stadiums, i do think that averaging 20-25K a game and getting reasonable ratings will happen.

One big change from the 70s to today is the quality of the US National team. The US did not make a world cup from 1950 - 1990, I don't think the World Cup was on television in 1990. Now, ESPN broadcasts every game of the World Cup live, and young kids see the excitement of the game with beautiful production values. THe great video of the US fans around the nation reacting to Donovan's goal against Algeria speaks volumes. Soccer will never be baseball or football in the US, but I do believe more younger people watch it (under 30) and as they get older, even more kids will watch and play soccer into high school and college.

This is an incredibly disorganized statement, but those are the general feelings. Seriously though, see "Once in a Lifetime" though, great documentary.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post

It isnt confirmed that theyll be back yet but MLS commissoner Don Garber openly talks about how important it is to have a 2nd team in his biggest market (Red Bulls arent really a draw though despite having the best stadium/good team).

The Mls has been expanding every year, so at this rate they would probably be the 20th team and enter the league around 2015/2016.

BTW theres a good documentary on the Cosmos called Once in a Lifetime that talks about their rise and fall.

I think the idea of the bringing the Cosmos back is pretty cool, but I just don't think the MLS has enough support here (NY area) to warrant two teams.

There has been a push for an MLS team in Queens.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't think the US will ever be a soccer nation like Europe or South America, but as they build more soccer specific stadiums, i do think that averaging 20-25K a game and getting reasonable ratings will happen. .
    That's actually a pretty good showing. I think Ligue 1 average is around 20K.

This is an incredibly disorganized statement, but those are the general feelings. Seriously though, see "Once in a Lifetime" though, great documentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    BTW theres a good documentary on the Cosmos called Once in a Lifetime that talks about their rise and fall.
    I'll def try and catch that.

Veteran
    I don't think the World Cup was on television in 1990.
    Great read Batman, thanks. Just a little correction; I was in New York during Italia '90 and it was on TV. I don't remember which channel though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Great read Batman, thanks. Just a little correction; I was in New York during Italia '90 and it was on TV. I don't remember which channel though.
    I watched most games on either Univision or Telemundo. I don't remember which, but recall Andres Cantor doing his "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!" cheer.

I was 11 in 1990, so I don't really remember that well. Maybe I just didn't know about it. I guess it seems weird, because I remember the 1994 World Cup pretty well (Obviously, being in the US was a big part of that).

The current average attendance for MLS is actually 16,700, not bad for a 15 year old league. Only one team averages less than 10,000 and 3 actually draw 20K+.

THe television ratings are still the key. MLS is both hurt and helped by the increase in popularity of European soccer in the US. Any soccer publicity is good, but it's tough to watch a Premier League game between Chelsea and Arsenal, then compare it to a Red Bulls vs. Galaxy game. It's like switching from the NFL to Division III football.

That being said, I went to a few Red Bulls games this year, the stadium is nice, and I like the experience and I'll go back next year. (Though watching them get knocked out in the playoffs was surprisingly disapointing).

I was 11 in 1990, so I don't really remember that well. Maybe I just didn't know about it. I guess it seems weird, because I remember the 1994 World Cup pretty well (Obviously, being in the US was a big part of that).

The current average attendance for MLS is actually 16,700, not bad for a 15 year old league. Only one team averages less than 10,000 and 3 actually draw 20K+.

THe television ratings are still the key. MLS is both hurt and helped by the increase in popularity of European soccer in the US. Any soccer publicity is good, but it's tough to watch a Premier League game between Chelsea and Arsenal, then compare it to a Red Bulls vs. Galaxy game. It's like switching from the NFL to Division III football.

That being said, I went to a few Red Bulls games this year, the stadium is nice, and I like the experience and I'll go back next year. (Though watching them get knocked out in the playoffs was surprisingly disapointing).
    Just one note on the attendance numbers. Kansas City and San Jose who had the two lowest attendances in the league both played in tiny stadiums (capacity of only a little over 10,000 each) the last couple of years. KC's new stadium with a capacity of 18,500 is opening this season so they should see a big jump this season. San Jose is still playing in their **** stadium for a few more seasons as far as I know.

Vancouver and Portland are expected to draw big numbers this year too based on USL attendance and season ticket sales and I remember reading an article that sales of Dallas's season ticket packages went up by like 300% from last year to this year (they're attendance has been dreadful the last few seasons). I would expect the leagues total attendance number to go up this season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I watched most games on either Univision or Telemundo. I don't remember which, but recall Andres Cantor doing his "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!" cheer.
    I remember watching France-Brasil in Mexico '86 when I was in the states (1/4 Final).

Keep on waiting for an MLS announcement in Atlanta. Always lots of rumors going around but nothing materializing.

Thought with Arthur Blank backing it something would have happened by now.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyPaige View Post
    Just one note on the attendance numbers. Kansas City and San Jose who had the two lowest attendances in the league both played in tiny stadiums (capacity of only a little over 10,000 each) the last couple of years. KC's new stadium with a capacity of 18,500 is opening this season so they should see a big jump this season. San Jose is still playing in their **** stadium for a few more seasons as far as I know.

Vancouver and Portland are expected to draw big numbers this year too based on USL attendance and season ticket sales and I remember reading an article that sales of Dallas's season ticket packages went up by like 300% from last year to this year (they're attendance has been dreadful the last few seasons). I would expect the leagues total attendance number to go up this season.
    Good point with Kansas City and San Jose. Those stadiums are absurd. I believe San Jose is set to open their new one in 2013. I'm sure Vancouver and Portland will draw very well, much like Seattle and Toronto have taken off the past few years.

It's been said already in the thread. The attendance really is pretty respectable. It's the TV ratings that are putrid.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Keep on waiting for an MLS announcement in Atlanta. Always lots of rumors going around but nothing materializing.

Thought with Arthur Blank backing it something would have happened by now.
    Well, I know MLS wanted to expand to 20 teams by 2012, leaving one spot still open. Portland and Vancouver entering this year to bring it to 18 and Montreal entering in 2012. No idea how the soccer support is down there, but I suppose there's a chance.