Thread: Why aren't we talking about Dontay Moch??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Why aren't we talking about Dontay Moch??

Keep an eye on this guy. This is another guy OLB/DE that can be had in Round 3. 6-1 245lbs. One problem...His 40 time is 4.3. If he does that at the combine he'll right run right into the second round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesangleton View Post
    Keep an eye on this guy. This is another guy OLB/DE that can be had in Round 3. 6-1 245lbs. One problem...His 40 time is 4.3. If he does that at the combine he'll right run right into the second round.
    He has shaky LB instincts, and lacks moves outside the speed rush (though for him that in and of itself is a pretty devastating trick to have). Little small as well which his speed more than makes up for, but you have to wonder if he might get run at/over. Great upside though.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    View him More as a weakside 4-3 guy.. Plus Nevada ain't a hotbed of prospects .. Jets have tried a lot recently in Josh magua,Kevin basped,Ezra butler .. Etc

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    He has shaky LB instincts, and lacks moves outside the speed rush (though for him that in and of itself is a pretty devastating trick to have). Little small as well which his speed more than makes up for, but you have to wonder if he might get run at/over. Great upside though.
    he did an adequate job at OLB in shrine practices- did not embarrass himself and was much better than Chris Carter/Fresno St...he just does not have the size for any position in a 3-4...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he did an adequate job at OLB in shrine practices- did not embarrass himself and was much better than Chris Carter/Fresno St...he just does not have the size for any position in a 3-4...
    Admittedly, I know nothing about Moch other than he's fast as hell.

Seems to have the same size as James Harrison though. Although he may not be half as strong. Harrison is like a bull out there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    6'1" 245 right? Isn't that Dumervil (sp?) size already?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just watching some of his highlights and he is going to need some work.He isn't a great finisher and the way he approaches QB's does remind of someone else on this team who we all know .He plays a little too high instead of drive tackles.He has great outside speed pass rushing but looks very suspect against the run and if the play isn't around him he is willing to become a spectator instead of joining in.This is just some of the points I got watching his highlights.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    229 lbs is what he measured in at. Personally I'm not impressed by him. He doesn't play anywhere as fast as he claims to be, and he is severely lacking in pass rush moves. Doesn't compare to Dumervil at all... Elvis reminded me a TON of Freeney with his beavy of spin moves and ability to use his hands well. Moch is a straight speed rusher who just tries to blow past people. Technique can be taught though, but he's far from polished.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    dumervil was three times the player in college compared to moch...

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Admittedly, I know nothing about Moch other than he's fast as hell.

Seems to have the same size as James Harrison though. Although he may not be half as strong. Harrison is like a bull out there.
    its' not just about strength- its about mentality as well...blitzing the QB from a stand up position, and selling out to do so, takes as much mental fortitude as physical skill..

is clay matthews stronger than anyone else in the league? or does he play with such violence that opposing linemen are intimidated by him?? ditto harrison....

the difference between a matthews and gholston is one guy has better physical skills but the other guy will scratch, claw and not back down....

when you watch moch he's primarily a first step speed rusher that tries to beat blocks by running wide of them....Brooks Reed on the other hand is a scraper with that "hair on fire" mentaility....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    dumervil was three times the player in college compared to moch...

its' not just about strength- its about mentality as well...blitzing the QB from a stand up position, and selling out to do so, takes as much mental fortitude as physical skill..

is clay matthews stronger than anyone else in the league? or does he play with such violence that opposing linemen are intimidated by him?? ditto harrison....

the difference between a matthews and gholston is one guy has better physical skills but the other guy will scratch, claw and not back down....

when you watch moch he's primarily a first step speed rusher that tries to beat blocks by running wide of them....Brooks Reed on the other hand is a scraper with that "hair on fire" mentaility....
    Well, I hope the Jet FO sees this too because that is exactly what they need at that position. Bryan Thomas has no mean streak and Brooks Reed definitely is that player who will scratch, claw and disrupt. I wouldn't mind if they "reached" at 30. The question is..do you go Phil Taylor or Brooks Reed as your first pick. DE/DT, OLB are both needs and it will be interseting to see what they do.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a less physically gifted and lazier version of Gholston. I watched 1 highlight reel and saw him loaf on pretty much every other play. If the play goes away from him, he shuts it down immediately. I hate those kinds of players.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    He's a less physically gifted and lazier version of Gholston.
    Its funny how Vernon Gholston has become the whipping boy.

any prospect looks bad in any way he's another Gholston.

this year there's only 1 guy i think really comprares to Gholston and that's Allan Bailey. Dictionary definition of a "gholston" - supreme physical attributes but no pass rush moves.

Still we are talking about a guy who will probably be in the league 10 years (not with the Jets), it's not like he's Demetrius underwood.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

this year there's only 1 guy i think really comprares to Gholston and that's Allan Bailey. Dictionary definition of a "gholston" - supreme physical attributes but no pass rush moves.

Still we are talking about a guy who will probably be in the league 10 years (not with the Jets), it's not like he's Demetrius underwood.
    Well Moch kinda is that.... all the speed in the world BUT that is the only way he can get to the QB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

Gholston is a huge bust, get over it. We are in need of a passrusher, not a JAG (Gholston doesn't even qualify as a JAG).