Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Sen. Jim Webb (D - VA.) Won't Seek Re-election

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Sen. Jim Webb (D - VA.) Won't Seek Re-election

[QUOTE]First-term Democratic Senator Jim Webb of Virginia will retire when his term ends next year.

Webb made his announcement via e-mail, "after much thought and consideration I have decided to return to the private sector, where I have spent most of my professional life, and will not seek re-election in 2012."

Democrats must now find a viable candidate to run in what will be a very hot senate race in the Old Dominion. On the Republican side, former Virginia Governor and Senator George Allen has already announced his intentions to recapture the seat Webb took away from him in 2006.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/02/09/senator-webb-retire/#ixzz1DU3X3FtU[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    translation: I just found that there may be photographic evidence of a "tryst" involving farm animals, so to avoid that, I'll be returning to my old job.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    webb today...harman earlier in the week...

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hyECORLe2jg/S0cH7b8CXCI/AAAAAAAAE20/Z_0wtrtqDFM/s400/Rats+Jump+Ship.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3955440]webb today...harman earlier in the week...

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hyECORLe2jg/S0cH7b8CXCI/AAAAAAAAE20/Z_0wtrtqDFM/s400/Rats+Jump+Ship.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You don't think Harman retired because her seat was in danger do you?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I liked Webb. For a Democrat, he was actually quite Conservative and strong enough on a number of issues. He's been pretty ok.

But lets be honest. He beat Allen because of one word: Macacca.

lol.

Virginia is still a predominantly red-aligned state. It's got much stronger blue pockets now (NOVA is AZURE tbh), but the State as a whole still leans right of center.

Webb, in this atmosphere, vs. Allen? Allen likely walks away with that one, hands down. And Webb knows it, to his credit. And he knows why, also to his credit. He won't play good soldier for a party that hasn;t been supportive of his viewpoints on a host of issues, and has pressured him to vote on party lines even when he disagreed.

So not a shock really. Be interesting to see whcih NoVA Dem they find to run against Allen.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;3955574]I liked Webb. For a Democrat, he was actually quite Conservative and strong enough on a number of issues. He's been pretty ok.

But lets be honest. He beat Allen because of one word: Macacca.

lol.

Virginia is still a predominantly red-aligned state. It's got much stronger blue pockets now (NOVA is AZURE tbh), but the State as a whole still leans right of center.

Webb, in this atmosphere, vs. Allen? Allen likely walks away with that one, hands down. And Webb knows it, to his credit. And he knows why, also to his credit. He won't play good soldier for a party that hasn;t been supportive of his viewpoints on a host of issues, and has pressured him to vote on party lines even when he disagreed.

So not a shock really. Be interesting to see whcih NoVA Dem they find to run against Allen.[/QUOTE]

There is a push for former Gov. Tim Kaine to run, though he's already said publicly he wouldn't.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-09-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3955594]There is a push for former Gov. Tim Kaine to run, though he's already said publicly he wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

please let me know how i can help to get him on the ticket...:yes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;3955267]translation: I just found that there may be photographic evidence of a "tryst" involving farm animals, so to avoid that, I'll be returning to my old job.[/QUOTE]

I like Webb (Navy man here). We are so cynical (and quick to toss liable) that there might be other reasons.

anyway, we are always just moments away from a sexual scandal breaking out from either side of the aisle (including my side?). So I'm not so quick to throw stones

I thought Webb was a good center aisle guy. Reagan appointee and all. Good Cold Warrior among other things.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;3955698]I like Webb (Navy man here). We are so cynical (and quick to toss liable) that there might be other reasons.

anyway, we are always just moments away from a sexual scandal breaking out from either side of the aisle (including my side?). So I'm not so quick to throw stones

I thought Webb was a good center aisle guy. Reagan appointee and all. Good Cold Warrior among other things.[/QUOTE]

and he was also considered a rising star in the party and received serious consideration for obozo's Veep 2+ years ago...short of an illness or scandal (neither which i believe until i see/read) what does his decision tell you??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;3955698]I like Webb (Navy man here). We are so cynical (and quick to toss liable) that there might be other reasons.

anyway, we are always just moments away from a sexual scandal breaking out from either side of the aisle (including my side?). [/QUOTE]

Ask and ye shall receive.

[url]http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/02/09/rep-lee-declines-comment-report-claiming-sent-shirtless-photo-craigslist/[/url]

Does soon-to-be-sexual count ?? :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3955440]webb today...harman earlier in the week...

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hyECORLe2jg/S0cH7b8CXCI/AAAAAAAAE20/Z_0wtrtqDFM/s400/Rats+Jump+Ship.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

This political cartoon nails it! It's why I never vote for Democrats. They're timid, weak, no convictions whatsoever.

Republicans are the devil-I-know.

:jets17

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Jim Webb also. He is a USMC veteran like myself. I understand the positions that he took over the past 4 years. And yes, he was once a rising star in the D party.

This POTUS has just gone too far with the spending and bending of the issues that he ran on. The lack of conviction is abundant. Being a Man of Principals, I am sure that Webb found it difficult to continue his support of this POTUS as a Senator.

Senators have to legislate.

My thought is the Obama's, the Romney's is at the top of the list when it comes to the Oval Office. That is how sad a state we are in now. I don't blame Webb at all for getting out of this crap.

SF Jim

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    HuffPo

[QUOTE]WASHINGTON -- Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has privately encouraged Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine to launch a bid for the Senate seat soon to be vacated by retiring Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.), Democratic sources tell the Huffington Post.

The DNC chairman and former Virginia governor is already scheduled to have talks with President Barack Obama about leaving his current post and making a run for Congress. But the talks with Reid suggest that the private push to get him into the race is farther along than previously reported. [/QUOTE]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kaine vs. Allen would be a great race.

Won't suprise me in the least if one ofthe two is a future U.S. President tbh.