Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Position movement - Post Senior Bowl

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN Position movement - Post Senior Bowl

I know its so tough to project guys and the rankings are very subjective, especially before the combine, but at this time of year, we dont have much football stuff going on.

So....Here are some guys that have been talked about here that moved up or down in the rankings for their position after the Senior Bowl:

DT - Phil Taylor is now ranked as the #3 DT, up from about 8 or so. Taylor displaced Corey Liguet and Stephen Paea. Marvin Austin moved down in the 10-12 area.

DE - Kerrigan moved down behind Wilkerson, JJ Watt, and Aldon Smith. For some reason Smith scares me, he is real tall and seems like he came out of nowhere. Brooks Reed moved down a spot or 2, but that will prob change after the combine. Either way, the lower he is "ranked" the better, id love to see him in the 3rd round (or trade up into the 2nd).

OLB - Herlich is now the #16 ranked OLB. Definitely a high character player that will be available in the 4th round and probably later. Bruce Carter dropped a bit too, which is good, he wont make it to us, but could help let another player slide.

ILB - Not much here, but Casey Matthews is now the 2nd ranked ILB. Was very surprised to see that.

S - Eric Hagg didnt move much, ranked 9 overall. Will be around in that 4th round area as well.

All in all, the thing we want to hope for the most, is that the QBs shine at the combine. Id like to see teams looking to move up into the end of the 1st round to get a QB and allowing us to move back. Plus the more Front 7 guys dropping into the 2nd round the better....

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason Smith scares me, he is real tall and seems like he came out of nowhere.
    he was one of the most dominant defensive players in 2009 and would have been a lock top ten pick in 2011 the way he started off last season were it not for the broken leg...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he was one of the most dominant defensive players in 2009 and would have been a lock top ten pick in 2011 the way he started off last season were it not for the broken leg...
    Has he recovered from it enough to still be highly thought of? And more importantly would he be a fit for the Jets 3-4?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Has he recovered from it enough to still be highly thought of? And more importantly would he be a fit for the Jets 3-4?
    he'll be a top 15 pick, top 12 if the medical at the combines raise not red flags and he runs well...he's got a lot of Terrelle Suggs in him, though i tend to be hesitant to project such a terrific DE prospect to OLB (brandon graham last year)...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Al Golden said scouts told him last year that Wilkerson was going to be a 1st rounder... take that for what it's worth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Al Golden said scouts told him last year that Wilkerson was going to be a 1st rounder... take that for what it's worth.
    He just might be at 30...both he and Brooks Reed are very real possibilties for us at 30 IMO...I'd rather trade back but who wouldn't rather trade back every year....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'd rather have Aldon Smith coming off of a broken leg than Robert Quinn who had a brain tumor removed in 2007. I don't care how healthy a guy appears to be the words "Brain Surgery" and "top 10 pick" should never go together.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    absolutely a first round talent...now whether or not he gets selected in the top 32 because of the depth on the d-line is another story...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    he'll be a top 15 pick, top 12 if the medical at the combines raise not red flags and he runs well...he's got a lot of Terrelle Suggs in him, though i tend to be hesitant to project such a terrific DE prospect to OLB (brandon graham last year)...
    Never noticed it until you said the Suggs thing, but I kinda agree with it...Smith is one of those guys I've tried hard to NOT like...but he really is a damn good player.

Bit, good point on the whole brain surgery thing...it does kind of make you hesitate with Quinn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know much about Smith, and trust the opinion of a lot of the guys who here that go to the senior bowl practices etc, but I gotta disagree with the Suggs comparisons.

Aldon is 6'5 260 Suggs is 6"2.5 260, that is a big difference in size/strength.

Seems like aldon is pretty lanky and being 6'5 its very easy for good lineman (which he will face in the nfl) to gain leverage on him. Part of the reason suggs is so good, is his bull rush, not sure with long arms and being much thinner if Aldon can develop a strong bull rush.

It will be interesting to see if he really measures in at 6'5....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not gonna matter for the Jets, cause he's gonna be long gone... and he's more of a 4-3 guys anyway but I question Aldon smith's production.

He basically had 1 great year, his RS freshman year. He declared as a redshirt sophomore which doesn't really say much about his commitment... note we could say similar things about Nick Fairley and Robert Quinn...very highly regarded prospects but i like guys that do it for 3 years or ideally all 4 years. For example Ryan kerrigan had 32 sacks in 4 years, that's what I'm talking about.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Suggs is 6'3 and maybe even 6'4 by now...I think Bit's point is more pertinent and it's the reason I've tried to dislike Smith...I'm weary of guys who come out for the draft because the hype is there now...didn't hurt Pierre-Paul last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Suggs is 6'3 and maybe even 6'4 by now...I think Bit's point is more pertinent and it's the reason I've tried to dislike Smith...I'm weary of guys who come out for the draft because the hype is there now...didn't hurt Pierre-Paul last year.
    The JPP comparison is pretty spot on I think. At least Smith had even 1 year of production. JPP, even tho he seems to be coming along for the Giants, had nothing to back up his high pick other than pure potential. But they seem similar as far as the drafting on potential over production is concerned. Also megadoses of draft season hype for both of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched every Mizzou game in 2009, and Smith was dominant virtually the entire year. Had he been healthy and not missed three games, I have no doubt that he would've been just as dominant in 2010.

Whether that will translate to the NFL is a different story entirely, but to say he came out of nowhere is incorrect.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Smith comes in >250 pounds and he runs anywhere in the 4.5-4.7 range he's going in the first 15 picks.

The other DE I'm waiting on is Sheard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    put it another way Cameron Jordan and Cameron Heyward played real defense as true freshman... Aldon Smith redshirted? Im not saying he's a bad player but maybe a little overrated. heck i think Patrick Peterson is overrated too and i wasn't crazy about JPP. so im coming at it from a different perspective.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I dont know much about Smith, and trust the opinion of a lot of the guys who here that go to the senior bowl practices etc, but I gotta disagree with the Suggs comparisons.

Seems like aldon is pretty lanky and being 6'5 its very easy for good lineman (which he will face in the nfl) to gain leverage on him. Part of the reason suggs is so good, is his bull rush, not sure with long arms and being much thinner if Aldon can develop a strong bull rush.

you are comparing size- i am comparing playing style at equal points in their career...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i'd rather have Aldon Smith coming off of a broken leg than Robert Quinn who had a brain tumor removed in 2007. I don't care how healthy a guy appears to be the words "Brain Surgery" and "top 10 pick" should never go together.
    I agree with you here. Sounds like a setup for concussion issues at a minimum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    It's not gonna matter for the Jets, cause he's gonna be long gone... and he's more of a 4-3 guys anyway but I question Aldon smith's production.

He basically had 1 great year, his RS freshman year. He declared as a redshirt sophomore which doesn't really say much about his commitment... note we could say similar things about Nick Fairley and Robert Quinn...very highly regarded prospects but i like guys that do it for 3 years or ideally all 4 years. For example Ryan kerrigan had 32 sacks in 4 years, that's what I'm talking about.
    I'm hoping Kerrigan makes it to our pick, he looks like he'd be very productive in Rexy's D

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Jason taylor happens to be 6'6 250 and being "lanky" seems to have worked out for him so you never know