Thread: NY Congressman resigns over "Scandal"

NY Congressman resigns over "Scandal"

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/congressman-chris-lee-resigns-shirtless-photo-posted-internet/story?id=12878937&page=1[/url]

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="4"]Congressman Chris Lee Resigns After Shirtless Photo Posted on Internet[/SIZE][/B][B]
    New York Republican Reportedly Sent Revealing Photos to a Woman He Met on Craigslist[/B]

By MATTHEW JAFFE and JOHN PARKINSON
    Feb. 9, 2011

Chris Lee, R-N.Y., resigned from Congress after a report emerged that he had sent flirtatious e-mails, including one with a bare-chested photo of himself, to a woman he met on Craigslist.

Many politicians scorned by scandal are making a comeback. Lee is married and has a child.

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness," Lee said in a statement Wednesday night.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

On Wednesday, the gossip website Gawker posted a story that included the e-mails allegedly exchanged between Lee and the unnamed woman. According to the story, a single 34-year old woman from Maryland posted an ad on Craigslist's "Women for Men" section on Jan. 14. Soon afterwards a man named Christopher Lee replied, identifying himself as a 39-year-old divorced lobbyist.

In the exchange that followed, Lee reportedly sent the woman an e-mail including a photo of him with his shirt off, flexing his arms and chest. The woman later broke off her correspondence with Lee when she did an online search for him and determined that he had lied about his age and his job, the Gawker story reported.

[IMG]http://abcnews.go.com/images/Politics/ht_chrislee_gawker_ll_110209_main.jpg[/IMG][SIZE="1"]
    Gawker.com says Rep. Lee sent this image of himself to a 34-year-old woman he contacted on Craigslist.[/SIZE]

Lee is a Republican congressman representing the 26th district of New York. He and his wife Michele have a young son named Johnathan, according to a biography on his website.[/QUOTE]

I dunno which story annoys me more. This or Mark Sanchez one. Seriously. I don't know all the details, but... him cheating on his wife is between him and his family. If his constituents don't like it, they can vote him out in 2 years. Why did he have to resign? These websites like Gawker and Deadspin are pure trash, they are out to make money on destroying people's lives.
    Last edited by Tyler Durden; 02-09-2011 at 07:25 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3955765]I dunno which story annoys me more. This or Mark Sanchez one. Seriously. I don't know all the details, but... him cheating on his wife is between him and his family. If his constituents don't like it, they can vote him out in 2 years. Why did he have to resign? These websites like Gawker and Deadspin are pure trash, they are out to make money on destroying people's lives.[/QUOTE]

He's probably trying to save his marriage. Hard to concentrate on your job when your wife and kid are about to probably leave you.

[QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3955772]He's probably trying to save his marriage. Hard to concentrate on your job when your wife and kid are about to probably leave you.[/QUOTE]

Good point, should of though of that...

[QUOTE=Tyler Durden;3955765]I dunno which story annoys me more. This or Mark Sanchez one. Seriously. I don't know all the details, but... him cheating on his wife is between him and his family. If his constituents don't like it, they can vote him out in 2 years. Why did he have to resign? These websites like Gawker and Deadspin are pure trash, they are out to make money on destroying people's lives.[/QUOTE]

FWIW, Deadspin is owned by Gawker. It's all one big scum consortium.

That self portrait has massive WTF levels though. Dude's a Congressman. Start acting more Congressional-ly (I know, that used to mean something, not so much anymore).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

sigh......at least it was a chick.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=shakin318;3955965]sigh......at least it was a chick.[/QUOTE]

Lmao....cant defend this chooch.:O

:dunno:

All I'll say is...getting old sucks.

:D

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    "Responding to what may seem like a friendly e-mail or an appealing marketing offer can have serious consequences. Private information and images can so easily be transmitted to friends and strangers alike."

ó Rep. Chris Lee in a 2009 Op-Ed on the dangers of the internet, 20 months before resigning over release of a half-naked self-portrait he sent to a woman via Craigslist

Jets Insider VIP
    what are those white areas under his eyes?

[QUOTE=Buster;3956151]"Responding to what may seem like a friendly e-mail or an appealing marketing offer can have serious consequences. Private information and images can so easily be transmitted to friends and strangers alike."

— Rep. Chris Lee in a 2009 Op-Ed on the dangers of the internet, 20 months before resigning over release of a half-naked self-portrait he sent to a woman via Craigslist[/QUOTE]

LOL ass

Jets Insider VIP
    Itís funny how culturally different we are. This sort of story would never make the news (even gossip news) over here. The chick would never have the reflex to forward the story to a news outlet. Hell, even Mitterrand had an illegitimate daughter which everyone knew about, but nothing was ever said. Whatís private stays private.

The flip side is that when there are genuine scandals (ie: not sex), journalists donít do their jobs properly and the general public kind of shrugs. Journalists as a whole are scared of politicians, and wouldnít dare be as pushy as American journalists can be.