View Poll Results: Should the national anthem be played before every sporting event?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Always.

8 66.67%
  • Only for certain high profile sports.

1 8.33%
  • It should be left to the organizers to decide

0 0%
  • No. Cuz you shouldn't mix politics with sport.

0 0%
  • No cuz it has no bearing on sport.

2 16.67%
  • I don't care

1 8.33%

Thread: Why the Star Spangled Banner Before Games?

All Pro

Why the Star Spangled Banner Before Games?

I saw an article the other day posing the question of why we play the national anthem before certain types of sporting events and isn't it time to ditch this pointless exercise in mock patriotism. Gotta say I largely agree. Outside of providing a cottage industry to third-rate singers what is the point of prefacing a game with someone singing the national anthem? What does it achieve? And if it's so bloody important how come we don't play it before movies, horse races, rock concerts, dog shows, flea markets, etc.?

I'd be especially interested if someone can explain how/why this tradition arose in the first place and how widespread the practice is globally.

Jets Insider VIP
    Um MAYBE we are paying respect that we our lucky, and privileged to be entertained, while the Men and Woman of the Armed Forces risk their lives so that we can enjoy our weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    I saw an article the other day posing the question of why we play the national anthem before certain types of sporting events and isn't it time to ditch this pointless exercise in mock patriotism. Gotta say I largely agree. Outside of providing a cottage industry to third-rate singers what is the point of prefacing a game with someone singing the national anthem? What does it achieve? And if it's so bloody important how come we don't play it before movies, horse races, rock concerts, dog shows, flea markets, etc.?

I'd be especially interested if someone can explain how/why this tradition arose in the first place and how widespread the practice is globally.
    ummm, actually the national anthem is played at racetracks about a half hour before the first race goes off...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets2010Champions View Post
    ummm, actually the national anthem is played at racetracks about a half hour before the first race goes off...

Didn't know that (I've never been to a horse track). Why do you think they preface a day of betting on horses with the national anthem? Are they required by law or is it a choice?

What's so political bout the SSB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Didn't know that (I've never been to a horse track). Why do you think they preface a day of betting on horses with the national anthem? Are they required by law or is it a choice?
    Maybe they think it's a cool thing to do. I'm glad.

It dates back to WWI - I think the 1918 world series - faded out, and then came back in WWII. So it originated in wartime as a show of support and respect, and the tradition has continued. Its played at just about all sporting events in the US, and I believe during WWII, we started to play the Canadian national anthem when Canadian teams were involved, to show wartime support for them too, but I could be wrong. I would differentiate sporting events from movies, flea markets and rock concerts IMO.

I like it, i hope it continues at all sporting events. I look at it as a tradition, both for the US, and for me. Who among us doesnt remember going to a game as a kid with dad, standing up and taking off your hat and showing some respect. I don't see a downside to any of it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I think they have one in Siberia, no anthem though.

Jets Insider VIP
    started on a regular basis in 1943.