Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Fights galore.

Hockey Fights galore.

With the Boston-Habs line clearers a few nights ago being one of the rowdier games I've seen in a long time... turns out the Islanders-Pens game was worse.

It was like Friday Night Fights out there. 10 ejections, the benches looked pretty scarce by the end of the night.

[QUOTE]Just nine days after Johnson beat the Islanders in Pittsburgh and flattened DiPietro with a one-punch takedown in a rare goalie fight, the Islanders responded offensively and physically in a 9-3 victory on Friday night that will certainly be remembered for the outbursts of violence that pockmarked the final two periods.

The teams combined for 65 penalties that totaled 346 minutes and including 10 ejections. There were 15 fighting majors and 20 misconducts in the game that set records for both teams for most combined penalty minutes and left few players around to finish it.

Things were so heated, that a fence between the two dressing rooms was shut during a hallway lockdown. NHL suspensions will likely be a result, too.[/QUOTE]

What says you? Are you a fan of a crazy fight night or are you less inclined to see non stop fighting and more hockey? Personally, I like a line brawl here and there but I also think there needs to be a line drawn professionally at some point. To go non stop all game with multiple line brawls is a little bit ridiculous. But hey, I'm sure that place was juiced up. That's what happens when you take out the other guy's #1 goalie. There were cheap shots and some headhunting going on. Hockey is starting to make a big comeback and I'm ok with that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Funny you brought this up...I'm not much of a hockey guy but I did see the DiPietro take down, watched it a few times actually (to see how one punch did all that damage:D) and I was kind of sickened by it.

The refs seem more akin to WWF/GLobetrotterr-Generals refs. when these things happen and even a casual observer like myself can see that the violence is an intical part of the hockey culture. "ENforcers" and the like being brought in to certain teams.

I guess its fine for adult fans and the hockey players know what they are getting into..but I wonder what the effect on kids is?

I guess any change would have to start with policing the "checking" that seems to be at the heart of alot of the fights..but who is to say what excessive force is?

Jets Insider VIP
    DiPietro is such a sally. It's a good thing he got KTFO on the road.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    The first High School game my mom came to I skated out the crease and beat the $hit out of the opposing goalie.

Jets Insider VIP
    Was kind of good to see, actually.

Old-school hockey. Eddie Shore.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;3957737]With the [B]Boston-Habs[/B] line clearers a few nights ago being one of the rowdier games I've seen in a long time... turns out the Islanders-Pens game was worse.

[/QUOTE]

Did you mean Bruins-Stars?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryMjrrtA8c&feature=related[/url]

[QUOTE=JStokes;3957885]Did you mean Bruins-Stars?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kryMjrrtA8c&feature=related[/url][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102052[/url]

Definitely meant the Habs game. But this sh!t with Boston started back with my Atlanta Thrashers where that p#ssy Lucic took exception to a clean hit and sucker punched because he's too afraid to fight people straight up and the NHL didn't even suspend him. Gay. That was the first line brawl I've seen this season, obviously too because I watch the Thrashers mostly. But it appears Boston has been in the middle of 3 or 4 of these big brawls.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;3957893][url]http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102052[/url]

[/QUOTE]

Lol--hadn't seen that one.

_

Also, anyone catch that ATL/RAGS game last night? Evander Kane is the truth.

[QUOTE=southside;3957901]Also, anyone catch that ATL/RAGS game last night? Evander Kane is the truth.[/QUOTE]

GFY! :yes:

[url]http://tsn.ca/[/url]

click on the link on the right side of the screen for the Isle/Pens highlights.

Too bad Cindy wasn't playing..I woulda loved to see him run away like the little biatch that he is.

Entertaining to see that every once in a while, I have no problem with it. My buddy was texting me about it and I watched the encore presentation of the game when I got home.

All Pro
    As a Rangers fan, the Islanders showed more heart that night then the Rangers showed in the past 4 seasons..

[QUOTE=southside;3957893][url]http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/102052[/url]

Definitely meant the Habs game. But this sh!t with Boston started back with my Atlanta Thrashers where that p#ssy Lucic took exception to a clean hit and sucker punched because he's too afraid to fight people straight up and the NHL didn't even suspend him. Gay. That was the first line brawl I've seen this season, obviously too because I watch the Thrashers mostly. But it appears Boston has been in the middle of 3 or 4 of these big brawls.[/QUOTE]

Now that is Bruins hockey :yes:

For all interested Long Islanders, April 8th the Penguins return to Nassau Coliseum for the final game of the year vs the Islanders...morethan afew Penguin players have already vowed revenge- Islanders may actually have a decent turnout for the rematch

[QUOTE=MACPAC;3957974]Now that is Bruins hockey :yes:[/QUOTE]

If by Bruins hockey you mean getting your asses kicked by the Thrashers then yes, I agree.

Veteran
    I love fighting in the NHL. Ever listen to the crowd after a fight? They are usually going wild. It also provides a lot of energy to the team.

I'll admit, if there were 7 fights a game every game, then it would get old fast. But I think that would also apply to goals. 7-6 games are fun, but only if they happen every once in a while.

Hall Of Fame
    I was at the game on Friday night, and it was a great night at the coliseum. The crowd was great. Announced attendance was almost 13,000, which the national media made seem like the place was half empty. I enjoyed it, and the atmosphere was similar to the Game 6 playoff game against the Maple Leafs the game after Tucker took out Peca's ACL. The huge brawls did not start until the game was a 6 goal spread. If the Penguins just competed at all on Friday, there wouldn't have been as many fights.

Also, why did Johnson get reinserted in goal to start the 3rd period after being yanked? That was a strange decision.

[QUOTE=HDCentStOhio;3958288]I was at the game on Friday night, and it was a great night at the coliseum. The crowd was great. Announced attendance was almost 13,000, which the national media made seem like the place was half empty. I enjoyed it, and the atmosphere was similar to the Game 6 playoff game against the Maple Leafs the game after Tucker took out Peca's ACL. The huge brawls did not start until the game was a 6 goal spread. If the Penguins just competed at all on Friday, there wouldn't have been as many fights.

[B]Also, why did Johnson get reinserted in goal to start the 3rd period after being yanked? That was a strange decision.[/B][/QUOTE]

Because of the goalie fight.

[QUOTE=MACPAC;3957974]Now that is Bruins hockey :yes:[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tQqSj9wZaJs/S7PLJTD9HZI/AAAAAAAAAAc/x_SZvWV9mxM/S220/bruins+suck.jpg[/IMG]