Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Niall Ferguson on MSNBC WOW

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

Niall Ferguson on MSNBC WOW

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9sMo-LTdSc[/url]

"A flip, followed by flop followed by flip... seems to have worked, has it not?"

:eek:

:D

I give this guy props for not actually using the word "bimbo".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder....That phrase worked to get him elected

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a saucy chap!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    u read any of his books? all very good

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    fukin pathetic....

[QUOTE]Mr. Obama watched Mr. Mubarak’s speech on board Air Force One, returning from a trip to Michigan, the press secretary, Robert Gibbs, said. As soon as he arrived at the White House, Mr. Obama huddled with his national security aides. The administration appeared as taken aback by Mr. Mubarak’s speech as the crowds in Tahrir Square. [B]The director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Leon E. Panetta, testified before the House of Representatives on Thursday morning that there was a “strong likelihood” that Mr. Mubarak would step down by the end of the day.

American officials said Mr. Panetta was basing his statement not on secret intelligence but on media broadcasts, which began circulating before he sat down before the House Intelligence Committee.[/B] But a senior administration official said Mr. Obama had also expected that Egypt was on the cusp of dramatic change. Speaking at Northern Michigan University in Marquette, he said, “We are witnessing history unfold,” adding, “America will do everything we can to support an orderly and genuine transition to democracy.” [/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/wo...macy.html?_r=1[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three things that I question when it comes to Ferguson's assumptions.
    1. He called the military being in charge a bad thing, although the Egyptian military refused to fire upon the people and actually defended them versus the police.
    2. The internet's role and the intelligence of the Egyptian people, Ferguson stated the people are not very well educated, yet they didn't use violence.
    3. It is funny that everyone wants to jump on this guy's bandwagon and he is a college professor, you know how much the rightwing loves liberal college professors.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3959448]Three things that I question when it comes to Ferguson's assumptions.
    1. He called the military being in charge a bad thing, although the Egyptian military refused to fire upon the people and actually defended them versus the police.
    2. The internet's role and the intelligence of the Egyptian people, Ferguson stated the people are not very well educated, yet they didn't use violence.
    3. It is funny that everyone wants to jump on this guy's bandwagon and he is a college professor, you know how much the rightwing loves liberal college professors.[/QUOTE]all great points, and to add to #1, I heard reports in the time between Mubarak's surprising speech where he seemed to say he'd step down after elections and the time he stepped down, the military was clearing a path to allow protesters to Mubarak's palace - that had to hasten his 180 and departure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;3959459]all great points, and to add to #1, I heard reports in the time between Mubarak's surprising speech where he seemed to say he'd step down after elections and the time he stepped down, the military was clearing a path to allow protesters to Mubarak's palace - that had to hasten his 180 and departure.[/QUOTE]

The median age of the Egyptian people is 24 years of age, that is amazing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3959442]fukin pathetic....

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/wo...macy.html?_r=1[/url][/QUOTE]
    Panetta watches FOX?:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;3959474]Panetta watches FOX?:yes:[/QUOTE]

we know this much- he doesn't watch olberman anymore...:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3959566]we know this much- he doesn't watch olberman anymore...:yes:[/QUOTE]

LOL

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3959361]u read any of his books? all very good[/QUOTE]

I haven't, but I will now. Compared to the always optimistic, idealistic, hope & change doing-something-great Sputnikmoment narrative forever coming out of the Obama White House, that was like a splash of freezing cold reality dumped on our collective heads. It's about damn time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Religion. The last bastion of collective ignorance....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3960187]I haven't, but I will now. Compared to the always optimistic, idealistic, hope & change doing-something-great Sputnikmoment narrative forever coming out of the Obama White House, that was like a splash of freezing cold reality dumped on our collective heads. It's about damn time.[/QUOTE]

Seriously dude? A college professor rips into the WH and it is refreshing?

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3960200]Seriously dude? A college professor rips into the WH and it is refreshing?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'm tired of the apologists, the *****-footing around from the so-called political elite.

I'm tired of the paranoid hand-wringing from the morons (read: Glenn Beck), too. Not only did this guy GO to college, he teaches at a couple of famous ones. He actually has some credibility.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3960202]Yes. I'm tired of the apologists, the *****-footing around from the so-called political elite.

I'm tired of the paranoid hand-wringing from the morons (read: Glenn Beck), too. Not only did this guy GO to college, he teaches at a couple of famous ones. He actually has some credibility.[/QUOTE]

What does history say about citizens rallying through the internet?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;3960202]Yes. I'm tired of the apologists, the *****-footing around from the so-called political elite.

I'm tired of the paranoid hand-wringing from the morons (read: Glenn Beck), too. Not only did this guy GO to college, he teaches at a couple of famous ones. He actually has some credibility.[/QUOTE]

+1 He is one of the few opposition opinions i can sit and respect

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3960211]What does history say about citizens rallying through the internet?[/QUOTE]

So far so good but it's a very small sample so far

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;3960211]What does history say about citizens rallying through the internet?[/QUOTE]

The internet wasn't magical enough to prevent Mubarack from hand-picking his interim successor and strengthening the military in the process.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I remember this guy on Bill Maher's show a few years ripping Joe Queenan a new one.