Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

Thread: The Jets First Round Pick is ????

  1. #41
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Quick! name me the scrappiest non white player in the league!

    I know who comes to mind, but he doesn't count cause he's half Korean, try again...


    White men can't jump but they sure can scrap
    When healthy Bob Sanders comes to mind

  2. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Posts
    1,575
    How about Vernon Gholston I heard this guy was some sort of freak????

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,707
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    Sign me up for Brooks Reed .This defense needs someone with that kind of motor and is scrappy.
    agreed!

  4. #44
    I wouldn't mind Reed but the guy I'm still hoping for is on the left:


  5. #45
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,217


    03/01/11 - Brooks Reed (Arizona) has gotten a lot of comparisons to NFL Defensive Player of the Year Clay Matthews over the past few weeks. He's not quite as athletic as Matthews, but Reed's respectable 4.67 40, ability to change direction fluidity, and quickness in turn-the-corner drills make him a legitimate second-round pick as a 3-4 rush linebacker. Sam Acho (Texas) is another second-round value conversion player who looked strong at the Combine (4.68 40) after a very good Senior Bowl week. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com
    __________

    trade down. otherwise go with one of the DEs left on the board like Liuget, Wilkerson, Heyward or Ballard, or a NT like Taylor or Paea
    Last edited by rick34125; 03-03-2011 at 10:17 PM.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post


    03/01/11 - Brooks Reed (Arizona) has gotten a lot of comparisons to NFL Defensive Player of the Year Clay Matthews over the past few weeks. He's not quite as athletic as Matthews, but Reed's respectable 4.67 40, ability to change direction fluidity, and quickness in turn-the-corner drills make him a legitimate second-round pick as a 3-4 rush linebacker. Sam Acho (Texas) is another second-round value conversion player who looked strong at the Combine (4.68 40) after a very good Senior Bowl week. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com
    __________

    trade down. otherwise go with one of the DEs left on the board like Liuget, Wilkerson, Heyward or Ballard, or a NT like Taylor or Paea
    Nah, don't give the Pats a chance to swoop in and take Reed in the 2nd. Jets need to play it safe and take him at 30. If not, we'll regret it. He's the anti-Gholston.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Quick! name me the scrappiest non white player in the league!

    I know who comes to mind, but he doesn't count cause he's half Korean, try again...


    White men can't jump but they sure can scrap
    Bart Scott

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Bart Scott
    Antoine Winfield

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Nah, don't give the Pats a chance to swoop in and take Reed in the 2nd. Jets need to play it safe and take him at 30. If not, we'll regret it. He's the anti-Gholston.
    Yep let's not get too cute and just sign this demon passrusher. Some other poster posted his burst over the first 10 - 20 yards which is quite exceptional, he turns the corner really and supposedly is faster than Matthews. What else do we want, especially since the lack of a consitent, effective passrush was the most glaring weakness last year

  10. #50
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Barnegat,NJ
    Posts
    704

    I like these two pass rushers in the first round as well!


  11. #51
    Reed seems like the more sound football player and is a more polished pass rusher. Houston might be the better athlete, but it just looks like Reed wants it more. The intensity and desire are on different levels.

    Man I wanna see Reed in a Jets uniform next year.

  12. #52
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Nah, don't give the Pats a chance to swoop in and take Reed in the 2nd. Jets need to play it safe and take him at 30. If not, we'll regret it. He's the anti-Gholston.
    i've only seen youtube highlights of reed so i'll defer to those who know him better, but according to his scouting report he lacks experience in coverage and could be a liability, doesn't play the open field well, doesn't shed blocks well and has a couple of rush moves that may or may not work at the NFL level.

    OLB is more than just pass rushing and is very difficult to draft successfully. besides clay matthews i can't think of another OLB drafted successfully in the last 3 years.

    IMO I don't think the Jets can afford to miss on this pick and therefore they should draft for the player's floor rather than his ceiling.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    i've only seen youtube highlights of reed so i'll defer to those who know him better, but according to his scouting report he lacks experience in coverage and could be a liability, doesn't play the open field well, doesn't shed blocks well and has a couple of rush moves that may or may not work at the NFL level.

    OLB is more than just pass rushing and is very difficult to draft successfully. besides clay matthews i can't think of another OLB drafted successfully in the last 3 years.

    IMO I don't think the Jets can afford to miss on this pick and therefore they should draft for the player's floor rather than his ceiling.
    we need an edge rusher, not a space eater on the inside. We have enough bodies inside to get the job done, but we need a dynamic player on the outside that can beat OTs 1 on 1 and put pressure on the passer.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    we need an edge rusher, not a space eater on the inside. We have enough bodies inside to get the job done, but we need a dynamic player on the outside that can beat OTs 1 on 1 and put pressure on the passer.
    Also need someone that can collapse the pocket from the inside opening up blitzing lanes..That is what Big Jenks did the best and what the Jets still miss...along with an rush from the outside..Need both IMO

  15. #55
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    we need an edge rusher, not a space eater on the inside. We have enough bodies inside to get the job done, but we need a dynamic player on the outside that can beat OTs 1 on 1 and put pressure on the passer.
    a good DL will help push the pocket, command double teams, and free the linebackers to get pressure on the qb as well.

    besides if brooks reed's scouting report is close to accurate he's a liability in coverage and defending the run, which means he'll mainly be used on pass rushing downs. he would need to be an elite pass rusher to get that kind of 1st round consideration and that doesn't seem to be the case.

    but my main concern is that transitioning college players to 34 OLB just doesn't work very often and i don't think it's worth the gamble in this draft.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by rick34125 View Post
    a good DL will help push the pocket, command double teams, and free the linebackers to get pressure on the qb as well.

    besides if brooks reed's scouting report is close to accurate he's a liability in coverage and defending the run, which means he'll mainly be used on pass rushing downs. he would need to be an elite pass rusher to get that kind of 1st round consideration and that doesn't seem to be the case.

    but my main concern is that transitioning college players to 34 OLB just doesn't work very often and i don't think it's worth the gamble in this draft.
    OLBs aren't asked to do much in coverage in Rex's system... look at Pace, Thomas and Taylor (all DEs in college). None of those guys can cover anyone, they might drop into the flats or curl zone from time to time, but that's about it.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Also need someone that can collapse the pocket from the inside opening up blitzing lanes..That is what Big Jenks did the best and what the Jets still miss...along with an rush from the outside..Need both IMO
    I don't really agree with this. Devito and Ellis get a decent push for us, as does Pouha. Big guys like Jenkins, Ngata and Wilfork aren't know for their passrushing skills, it more about stuffing the run. Jenks was usually taken out on passing downs for that matter. Let's not get too caught up with the youtube clip where he throws the Texans center out of the way and runs straight for Schaub.

    we have NO ONE that has any moves on the outside, where you need a guy that can generate instant pressure with a pass rushing move. Pace was OK in the past, but this past season he was left with plenty of one-on-one chances and didn't do much. Gotta have a guy on the edge that can make plays for this defense.

  18. #58
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Big Green Apple
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    OLBs aren't asked to do much in coverage in Rex's system... look at Pace, Thomas and Taylor (all DEs in college). None of those guys can cover anyone, they might drop into the flats or curl zone from time to time, but that's about it.
    he's going to have to play coverage and in space and from his scouting report all i have is a big question mark leaning towards unfavorable.

    for all the hype he doesn't have many video highlights. makes me wonder how much he's really done to deserve it. has anyone here really scouted this guy and is willing to say he's worth the risk?

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I don't really agree with this. Devito and Ellis get a decent push for us, as does Pouha. Big guys like Jenkins, Ngata and Wilfork aren't know for their passrushing skills, it more about stuffing the run. Jenks was usually taken out on passing downs for that matter. Let's not get too caught up with the youtube clip where he throws the Texans center out of the way and runs straight for Schaub.

    we have NO ONE that has any moves on the outside, where you need a guy that can generate instant pressure with a pass rushing move. Pace was OK in the past, but this past season he was left with plenty of one-on-one chances and didn't do much. Gotta have a guy on the edge that can make plays for this defense.
    Not a problem...I don't see teams worrying about their blocking assignments with Pouha, DeVito...I bet they do whenever Jenks, Ngata are in the game....We agree to disagree

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I don't really agree with this. Devito and Ellis get a decent push for us, as does Pouha. Big guys like Jenkins, Ngata and Wilfork aren't know for their passrushing skills, it more about stuffing the run. Jenks was usually taken out on passing downs for that matter. Let's not get too caught up with the youtube clip where he throws the Texans center out of the way and runs straight for Schaub.

    we have NO ONE that has any moves on the outside, where you need a guy that can generate instant pressure with a pass rushing move. Pace was OK in the past, but this past season he was left with plenty of one-on-one chances and didn't do much. Gotta have a guy on the edge that can make plays for this defense.
    Guys like Ngata and Wilfork may not wow you with a spin move, but generally they have to be double teamed because they will crush a single guy into the pocket. In being forced to double them constantly other guys can come in clean on blitzes. Pouha and Devito make great run stops, but they rarely ever require a double team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us