Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Jets First Round Pick is ????

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Guys like Ngata and Wilfork may not wow you with a spin move, but generally they have to be double teamed because they will crush a single guy into the pocket. In being forced to double them constantly other guys can come in clean on blitzes. Pouha and Devito make great run stops, but they rarely ever require a double team.
    Thank you..you wrote it better than I did..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Not a problem...I don't see teams worrying about their blocking assignments with Pouha, DeVito...I bet they do whenever Jenks, Ngata are in the game....We agree to disagree
    Don't worry, Gastineau99 usually doesn't know what he's talking about.

I guess he doesn't realiz that guys who can't be blocked one on one actually do help the pass rush.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 03-04-2011 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Guys like Ngata and Wilfork may not wow you with a spin move, but generally they have to be double teamed because they will crush a single guy into the pocket. In being forced to double them constantly other guys can come in clean on blitzes. Pouha and Devito make great run stops, but they rarely ever require a double team.
    if that's the case, then why doe Wilfork and Jenkins come out on passing downs?

Offenses can rarely commit 2 blockers to an interior D-lineman on a pass play. A 2nd blocker may help, but they will be looking for other rushers at the same time.It's very hard to get pressure up the middle in the NFL with big fatties. Not even Wilfork can consistently push a 300 lb Guard or Center 5-7 yards into the backfield in time to pressure a QB... just doesn't happen very often in the NFL. Sounds good, but not realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Don't worry, Gastineau99 usually doesn't know what he's talking about.

I guess he doesn't realiz that guys who can't be blocked one on one actually do help the pass rush.
    I do realize that, unfortunately a D-Lineman is rarely going to command a doubleteam... especially not a guy you get at the end of the 1st round. A guy on the edge has a better chance at commanding doubleteams if he can consistently beat the offensive tackle 1 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    I do realize that, unfortunately a D-Lineman is rarely going to command a doubleteam... especially not a guy you get at the end of the 1st round. A guy on the edge has a better chance at commanding doubleteams if he can consistently beat the offensive tackle 1 on 1.
    Jenkins was selected in the 2nd, Wilfat in the latter part of the 1st, Shaun Rogers in the 3rd (I think), etc. Guys who are disruptive up front help everyone on the D.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Jenkins was selected in the 2nd, Wilfat in the latter part of the 1st, Shaun Rogers in the 3rd (I think), etc. Guys who are disruptive up front help everyone on the D.
    Yeah, but we are talking about pass rush. I'm sorry, but a great pass rush is not built around a bull rusher.

If Tanny loves a guy that can anchor our D-Line for the next 7 years, I'm fine with the pick. I just think an edge rusher would help us get the defense to the next level in the short term. Most great 3-4 defenses have that OLB that can wreak havoc on passing downs. We've been getting by without that guy, but adding him would give our D a big boost.