Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TheMo's Mock Offseason

TheMo's Mock Offseason

Resign:
    Santonio Holmes- legitimate #1 threat with the complete package of skills (route running, explosiveness, etc.); not sure if it will be possible but protections should be added to the contract for drug issues
    Braylon Edwards- high end #2 target with size and speed
    Trevor Pryce- offered very nice situational pass rush, could be our Ellis for this year (who I am assuming gets an offer we canít compete with)
    Brodney Pool- level of play went up as he got comfortable with the defense
    Drew Coleman- nice #4 corner, solid on corner blitzes

Allowed to walk:
    Antonio Cromartie- overrated speedster who lacks technique in any form, not worth the money/years heíll likely be offered
    Brad Smith- versatile team player, solid returner but will get overpaid by some desperate team; is nothing more than a #4 WR on offense
    Sean Ellis- we need some youth upfront, and heíll likely get a fat contract with some team in dire need of a vet DL
    Eric Smith- considered bringing him back and wouldnít be furious if he was, decent backup with below average cover skills
    Wayne Hunter- stepped up his play when Woody went down, but will get a long term contract; have to let our draft picks (Ducasse) have a chance to maintain some semblance of cap health currently and in the future; Woodyís contract will be better suited to serve as a stopgap
    Tony Richardson- great leader but itís time to move on and have Conner step up

Release:
    LT- tank is almost at empty
    Bryan Thomas- average but overpaid
    Jason Taylor- see LT
    Kris Jenkins (restructure ideally)- glass cannon but worth taking one last shot on
    Ben Hartsock- one dimensional TE, certainly not worth his current cap value

FA Signings:
    Stephen Bowen DT/DE- Very underrated, heíll be a great relatively young (27) big body to add to the DL; pretty good pass rusher from his position and still solid run stopper
    Chris Gocong ILB- Solid all around linebacker, who I believe is a better complement at ILB than Harris; will come cheaper because he is not a big name at all
    Marcus Bernard DE/OLB- Also from the Browns, this guy is a sleeper in my opinion (only 26 and got 7 sacks in limited snaps) and could explode if given a more expanded role; with Cleveland switching defenses we might be able to swoop in and get him for a fair price

Trades:
    Harris (tagged) for 2nd round pick- SD might be in the market for an ILB, since both of their ILBs are FAs and they have two second round picks. Redskins might also be interested since they have barely any pieces to run their 3-4 at the moment. Dan Snyder also is willing to pony up tons of $$$ for pretty much anyone so donít think the extension will concern him.

Draft:

1st- Cameron Heyward DE/DT: Continue to inject youth into the DL. Heyward is a blue chipper who has fallen due to some inconsistent play and his recent elbow injury. But the talent is definitely there, making him a no brainer in my opinion if he is available at our spot.

2nd- Brooks Reed DE/OLB: Relentless pass rusher who has a nonstop motor. Exactly what this defense needs, even if he isnít the best combine athlete.

3rd- Jerrell Powe NT: A legitimate nose tackle in the mold of Casey Hampton/BJ Raji; was played as a 3-tech this year and subsequently watched his stock fall, also questions over his IQ; intelligence concerns are overplayed garbage in my view, heíll be a steal in the 3rd

4th- Greg Little WR: Falls due to suspension for the whole season and pretty raw; has tremendous size and strength, runs nice short/intermediate routes; great value and #3 option that could take over for Edwards in a few years

5th- Alex Henery K/P: Dual kicker-punter; at the very least he will be an upgrade to Folk both on kickoffs and field goals, not sure whether it would be wise development-wise to have him punt too

6th- Eric Hagg S- Decent safety prospect, with solid production; played on a very good Nebraska defense

7th- Jonathan Freeny DE/OLB- Speed rusher, who can get after the QB; limited arsenal but worth a flyer this late in the draft given his bloodlines (second cousin of Dwight Freeny)

Fire away!

i didnt think we had a 2nd round draft pick..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BLEED JET GREEN View Post
    i didnt think we had a 2nd round draft pick..
    He's trading Harris for a second in his scenario

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    He's trading Harris for a second in his scenario
    wasn't harris franchised?

I would hate trading Harris for a 2nd, maybe for a late 1st but noway for a 2nd.

Hall Of Fame
    So trade David Harris so they can flip the coin and draft someone who can hopefully make an impact on their defense..

like David Harris.

this is actually one of the more realistic projections we've seen all year. Nice work. They ain't trading harris tho... and it would be a miracle if Heyward is on the board at 30.

Quote Originally Posted by meatboy View Post
    I would hate trading Harris for a 2nd, maybe for a late 1st but noway for a 2nd.
    late first and early second are essentially worth the same thing in terms of chart value i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx View Post
    So trade David Harris so they can flip the coin and draft someone who can hopefully make an impact on their defense..

like David Harris.
    This rubs people the wrong way but Harris is simply solid. He somehow has been lumped in with the semi-elite though and is looking to get paid like it. Brooks Reed also is a pass rusher, something our front 7 is sorely lacking in. Harris is a solid run defender, which our entire front 7 is already good at and Bart Scott is better in my opinion in that area anyway. So in trading him away we get rid of some redundancy, save money (with which to sign other guys), and diversify the front 7.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    this is actually one of the more realistic projections we've seen all year. Nice work. They ain't trading harris tho... and it would be a miracle if Heyward is on the board at 30.
    I feel like Heyward is dropping like a rock for dumb reasons (not flashy, injured when other prospects are getting hyped, etc.). Thanks though I tried to keep it reasonable in terms of FAs and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I feel like Heyward is dropping like a rock for dumb reasons (not flashy, injured when other prospects are getting hyped, etc.). Thanks though I tried to keep it reasonable in terms of FAs and stuff.
    his bloodline will rise him up again, I don't see these mocks that have him in the 2nd round as being accurate. He is injured but played hurt in the Cotton Bowl and dominated. I hope it happens tho.

it's way easier to bash a mock offseason than to actually make one.

Resign:
    Santonio Holmes- legitimate #1 threat with the complete package of skills (route running, explosiveness, etc.); not sure if it will be possible but protections should be added to the contract for drug issues
    Braylon Edwards- high end #2 target with size and speed
    Trevor Pryce- offered very nice situational pass rush, could be our Ellis for this year (who I am assuming gets an offer we canít compete with)
    Brodney Pool- level of play went up as he got comfortable with the defense
    Drew Coleman- nice #4 corner, solid on corner blitzes

Allowed to walk:
    Antonio Cromartie- overrated speedster who lacks technique in any form, not worth the money/years heíll likely be offered
    Brad Smith- versatile team player, solid returner but will get overpaid by some desperate team; is nothing more than a #4 WR on offense
    Sean Ellis- we need some youth upfront, and heíll likely get a fat contract with some team in dire need of a vet DL
    Eric Smith- considered bringing him back and wouldnít be furious if he was, decent backup with below average cover skills
    Wayne Hunter- stepped up his play when Woody went down, but will get a long term contract; have to let our draft picks (Ducasse) have a chance to maintain some semblance of cap health currently and in the future; Woodyís contract will be better suited to serve as a stopgap
    Tony Richardson- great leader but itís time to move on and have Conner step up

Release:
    LT- tank is almost at empty
    Bryan Thomas- average but overpaid
    Jason Taylor- see LT
    Kris Jenkins (restructure ideally)- glass cannon but worth taking one last shot on
    Ben Hartsock- one dimensional TE, certainly not worth his current cap value

FA Signings:
    Stephen Bowen DT/DE- Very underrated, heíll be a great relatively young (27) big body to add to the DL; pretty good pass rusher from his position and still solid run stopper
    Chris Gocong ILB- Solid all around linebacker, who I believe is a better complement at ILB than Harris; will come cheaper because he is not a big name at all
    Marcus Bernard DE/OLB- Also from the Browns, this guy is a sleeper in my opinion (only 26 and got 7 sacks in limited snaps) and could explode if given a more expanded role; with Cleveland switching defenses we might be able to swoop in and get him for a fair price

Trades:
    Harris (tagged) for 2nd round pick- SD might be in the market for an ILB, since both of their ILBs are FAs and they have two second round picks. Redskins might also be interested since they have barely any pieces to run their 3-4 at the moment. Dan Snyder also is willing to pony up tons of $$$ for pretty much anyone so donít think the extension will concern him.

Draft:

1st- Cameron Heyward DE/DT: Continue to inject youth into the DL. Heyward is a blue chipper who has fallen due to some inconsistent play and his recent elbow injury. But the talent is definitely there, making him a no brainer in my opinion if he is available at our spot.

2nd- Brooks Reed DE/OLB: Relentless pass rusher who has a nonstop motor. Exactly what this defense needs, even if he isnít the best combine athlete.

3rd- Jerrell Powe NT: A legitimate nose tackle in the mold of Casey Hampton/BJ Raji; was played as a 3-tech this year and subsequently watched his stock fall, also questions over his IQ; intelligence concerns are overplayed garbage in my view, heíll be a steal in the 3rd

4th- Greg Little WR: Falls due to suspension for the whole season and pretty raw; has tremendous size and strength, runs nice short/intermediate routes; great value and #3 option that could take over for Edwards in a few years

5th- Alex Henery K/P: Dual kicker-punter; at the very least he will be an upgrade to Folk both on kickoffs and field goals, not sure whether it would be wise development-wise to have him punt too

6th- Eric Hagg S- Decent safety prospect, with solid production; played on a very good Nebraska defense

7th- Jonathan Freeny DE/OLB- Speed rusher, who can get after the QB; limited arsenal but worth a flyer this late in the draft given his bloodlines (second cousin of Dwight Freeny)

Fire away!
    Heyward, Reed & Powe? Man if we can pull that off it will make the offseason drag on because I won't be able to wait for the season to start. Very nice mock. Unfortunately Harris will have to go but hey...when you look at the big picture it's a darn good mock

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    his bloodline will rise him up again, I don't see these mocks that have him in the 2nd round as being accurate. He is injured but played hurt in the Cotton Bowl and dominated. I hope it happens tho.

it's way easier to bash a mock offseason than to actually make one.
    Thanks yea took me a little while to make this. I guess I'll just cross my fingers that people continue to hype "newer prospects" and he falls to us.

Fun mock...awesome draft and getting a second for Harris to grab Reed would be awesome....though I think Reed would be gone by SD's first 2nd.

Realistic as far as draft choices go. FA is closer to reality than most also.

The Harris thing is a stretch. He is going to make 10 mil next year. What kind of pressure is he going to put on SD to sign him long term, a lot. SD has not been known to pay players. I don't see SD doing it.
    Last edited by patman; 02-16-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I like the WR in Round 4....if Greg Little is around, he seems to be a high upside guy, assuming his character issues aren't too over the top.

Putting aside the Harris trade, Jets definitely need to address front 7 concerns with their first two picks, but they also need to develop some young talent at WR. They haven't seemed to be able to do that in the past few years. Cotchery was the last one they hit on.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Fun mock...awesome draft and getting a second for Harris to grab Reed would be awesome....though I think Reed would be gone by SD's first 2nd.
    Maybe Snyder will be his usual idiot self and send over a 2 for Harris lol also he has never really valued picks at all.

Would you hold still, please, sir?

It's not a 3-4 end's job to get pressure. Trevor Pryce is done. I love how you knock LT for having little left, yet you want us to keep a stop-gap veteran like Pryce.

If this team lets Brad Smith and Eric Smith walk, I'm guessing you'd want to bring back Ihedigbo? You left off a lot of key role players. I understand that these players don't matter to the average fan, but they are important. If both the Smith's leave, we'll lose two very good special teamers.

In my opinion, letting Wayne Hunter walk isn't exactly the smartest move. I assume you want us to keep Rob Turner as a depth player on the line. If Ducasse needs more time, Hunter proved to us that he's a capable starter.

Chris Gocong should move back to the outside. He was an outstanding pass rusher at Cal-Poly. I have no idea why Mangini moved him inside.

Marcus Benard would be a nice pick up. He'd probably be relatively cheap too.

I'm almost positive that Brooks Reed won't be around in the second round. He's going to have a very, very good combine, which could move him into the first round.

Jerrell Powe doesn't play anything like BJ Raji. Raji is much more versatile and athletic. I don't mind the Casey Hampton comparison, but Powe's definitely not as talented as him.

Greg Little is too good to fall that far. I don't care if he didn't play in 2010 - he's a dynamic prospect with tons of upside.

Eric Hagg will most likely rise because of interviews.

Henery's a good kicker, but Nick Folk was 9 of 10 over the last seven games including the playoffs. There's not a single kicker that can be trusted. Folk got the job done when it mattered.

Call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    Would you hold still, please, sir?

It's not a 3-4 end's job to get pressure. Trevor Pryce is done. I love how you knock LT for having little left, yet you want us to keep a stop-gap veteran like Pryce.

If this team lets Brad Smith and Eric Smith walk, I'm guessing you'd want to bring back Ihedigbo? You left off a lot of key role players. I understand that these players don't matter to the average fan, but they are important. If both the Smith's leave, we'll lose two very good special teamers.

In my opinion, letting Wayne Hunter walk isn't exactly the smartest move. I assume you want us to keep Rob Turner as a depth player on the line. If Ducasse needs more time, Hunter proved to us that he's a capable starter.

Chris Gocong should move back to the outside. He was an outstanding pass rusher at Cal-Poly. I have no idea why Mangini moved him inside.

Marcus Benard would be a nice pick up. He'd probably be relatively cheap too.

I'm almost positive that Brooks Reed won't be around in the second round. He's going to have a very, very good combine, which could move him into the first round.

Jerrell Powe doesn't play anything like BJ Raji. Raji is much more versatile and athletic. I don't mind the Casey Hampton comparison, but Powe's definitely not as talented as him.

Greg Little is too good to fall that far. I don't care if he didn't play in 2010 - he's a dynamic prospect with tons of upside.

Eric Hagg will most likely rise because of interviews.

Henery's a good kicker, but Nick Folk was 9 of 10 over the last seven games including the playoffs. There's not a single kicker that can be trusted. Folk got the job done when it mattered.

Call it.
    Well this should be fun...

No I didn't mention every player because I did not have the time to. But yes I would keep Ihedigbo. I didn't factor him in because he's not gonna break the bank, but yea keeping him is a good idea. Lance Laury too, but like I said only didn't mention cause they are not going to be the big cap hoggers.

Wayne Hunter is going to get overpaid to be a starter somewhere most likely. If the idea is to bridge the gap to Ducasse, paying Hunter like a starter will suck when Ducasse takes over the spot. Again keep Rob Turner, I was assuming people would fill in the gaps even though I didn't mention every little detail.

As for Pryce I said SITUATIONAL pass rush. Four man fronts, or obvious passing down. And are you seriously comparing a RB who is old to a DL who is older?? Really? The two positions have way different shelf lives not to mention Pryce's cap # would most likely be smaller.

Powe is the probably the best pure nose tackle in this whole draft. Phil Taylor might be the hot new name and have greater potential, but when Powe was playing NT a season ago he was hands down the best NT. Is he BJ Raji? No but he is a stout low to the ground NT, not a Jenkins type.

Gocong played very well as a 3-4 ILB, so maybe Mangini knew a thing or two. But if he kicked outside every now and then he'd certainly be able to play there too.

We are talking top of the second round if we got a pick for Harris and I think there is a CHANCE Reed is there. You act like I am picking Von Miller deep in the 5th.

Greg Little was suspended the entire season, and is/was raw to begin with. Additionally, he apparently has other character concerns as well that might drag him down. Again I am not taking a clear blue chipper like Fairley and saying he'll drop to us in the 1st because of character issues.

Hagg could rise due to interviews, but I am not going to take that into account until the combine is over. Plus interviews can only help so much.

You want to keep folk... well power to you my friend. When it counted most and we had just picked off Tom Brady in the playoffs, he completely f*cked up a gimme kick and sent it totally wide. His kickoffs are nothing special and there are certainly kickers I would trust in the 30-40 range.

Don't let the door hit your sarcastic a** on the way out...

Well this should be fun...
    Yes, it should be.

No I didn't mention every player because I did not have the time to. But yes I would keep Ihedigbo. I didn't factor him in because he's not gonna break the bank, but yea keeping him is a good idea. Lance Laury too, but like I said only didn't mention cause they are not going to be the big cap hoggers.
    How hard is it to take 20 seconds out of your day to mention key role players?

I'm a fan of Lance Laury, but he's expendable. Josh Mauga had a hell of a year on special teams.

Wayne Hunter is going to get overpaid to be a starter somewhere most likely. If the idea is to bridge the gap to Ducasse, paying Hunter like a starter will suck when Ducasse takes over the spot. Again keep Rob Turner, I was assuming people would fill in the gaps even though I didn't mention every little detail.
    Hunter and Turner are players that can play multiple positions.

Now that Ducasse will be a tackle full-time, we'll have little-to-no depth except for Robert Turner.

Wayne Hunter can be retained on a two-year deal. If he earns starter money elsewhere, then good for him...but we'll have to go out and find a veteran backup offensive lineman.

As for Pryce I said SITUATIONAL pass rush. Four man fronts, or obvious passing down. And are you seriously comparing a RB who is old to a DL who is older?? Really? The two positions have way different shelf lives not to mention Pryce's cap # would most likely be smaller.
    Situational pass rush? Are you confusing him with Jason Taylor?

Are you seriously comparing the value of a stop-gap lineman and one of the best running backs of all time?

LT is worth every penny, even if he's not as good as he used to be. The guy will work wonders with Greene and McKnight.

Powe is the probably the best pure nose tackle in this whole draft. Phil Taylor might be the hot new name and have greater potential, but when Powe was playing NT a season ago he was hands down the best NT. Is he BJ Raji? No but he is a stout low to the ground NT, not a Jenkins type.
    No, he's not.

Powe definitely has the size to play nose tackle in the NFL, but he's not even close to being the best nose tackle in 2011's draft.

Baylor's Phil Taylor is the best nose prospect in 2011. He's not a "new" name - the kid's been dominating for quite some time.

Stanford's Sione Fua, and Notre Dame's Ian Williams are on the second tier with Powe.

Gocong played very well as a 3-4 ILB, so maybe Mangini knew a thing or two. But if he kicked outside every now and then he'd certainly be able to play there too.
    Actually, I did a little bit of research and found out that Gocong moved inside because D'Qwell Jackson went down before the season started. Eric Barton, Scott Fujita, and Gocong split time inside.

We are talking top of the second round if we got a pick for Harris and I think there is a CHANCE Reed is there. You act like I am picking Von Miller deep in the 5th.
    There's definitely a chance he'll be available at the front end of the second, I just feel like he's going to rise after the combine.

Greg Little was suspended the entire season, and is/was raw to begin with. Additionally, he apparently has other character concerns as well that might drag him down. Again I am not taking a clear blue chipper like Fairley and saying he'll drop to us in the 1st because of character issues.
    I know who Greg Little is. I'm willing to bet that I know more about him than you do. We'll save that for the Greg Little thread though - I'll be sure to come in there with my "guns blazing".

Hagg could rise due to interviews, but I am not going to take that into account until the combine is over. Plus interviews can only help so much.
    You do realize that Nebraska's defense was built around Eric Hagg, right?

He's incredibly underrated at a position that has no clear-cut star. He'll rise.

You want to keep folk... well power to you my friend. When it counted most and we had just picked off Tom Brady in the playoffs, he completely f*cked up a gimme kick and sent it totally wide. His kickoffs are nothing special and there are certainly kickers I would trust in the 30-40 range.
    His kickoffs are short because they are placement kicks - I don't remember a single one of his kickoffs hurting us.

There's not a single kicker in this league that you can trust. Any kicker can miss at any given time.

Once again, Folk was 9 of 10 over the last 7 games.

Don't let the door hit your sarcastic a** on the way out...
    If you want me to leave because I questioned your way of thinking, then that's just sad.

I'm here to stay.